Easy to record from a DVR (Dish 522) ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin C Brown, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If I have something recorded on my DVR, and I want to make a permanent copy, can I just hook up something like a DVD recorder or another DVR (or even VHS) after it? No problems with Macrovision or anything?

Any suggestions? I did see a PC DVR for $100 today that's tempting. But with DVD recorders so cheap, that's tempting too. Just std def TV.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Even though it is available to them, I have never seen either of the satellite providers use copy protection. Connect your DVD recorder or VCR to the DVR's outputs. Press play on the DVR and record on your recorder. Come back when it is finished.

-Robert

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Awesome, that's what I was hoping. I guess I can test it with the VCR I already have, and then decide from there what to do. Thanks.

4. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

I have DirecTV Tivo and I record to my DVR and them burn DVD's on my Panasonic DVD recorder.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Just curious, I did a very little bit of research on DVD recorders tonight, and I came up with Panasonic, Pioneer, and Sony. Any big pros and cons for each? I'm looking to spend maybe $250 or less.

6. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

I won't be much help because I'm not too familiar with options, reliability, etc., but I've been happy with my Panasonic. Why did I choose Panasonic? I got it at Ultimate Electronics when they went out of business in Dallas. It was listed at 70% off, but based on the price on their website it was really only about 55% off. Still a good deal I think.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I am 90% decided on the Panny es30vs. Decided I was going to swap my VCR for a DVD recorder/VHS combo unit.