What's new

Easy to Be Hard (1 Viewer)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I believe it happened, but tend to think the kid probably was not in the right mental state. If he wasn't, he could have gone to the cops (heck, he could have gotten arrested and still got fed) or hospital or something, had he been thinkng clearly. Of course, if his emacitated stated had harmed his brean functions, he may not have been smart enough to figure this out, but man, even dumpster diving is going to get you some food.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
But you claim that "Anyone" can get "free food, free housing, and free cable television"
Actually you can, all you have to do is stick a knife in someone's back and then spit in the judges face. If you want to be argumentative, I can play too. Like people have said, there is more perfectly edible food in the the trash cans of most restaurants than many people outside the US could ever hope to see in one place.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
IBTL as well. Looking at some of the folks in this thread, I expect it to be closed quickly.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
"Man, I can't stand when people do the IBTL thing. That's soooo crazy. Why would anyone do that sort of thing? Like they're trying to say they got in before or something...*whine* *whine* "
(that was a poke) ;)
Yes, perhaps this teenager wasn't able to convey his situation to others well. Ryan does have a point in saying that there are several options out there for someone in this predicament. Stealing food should be a last resort. If I were going to die and that's the only way I had to get food, you better believe I'd be snatching some bread and meat.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Alright, nasty remarks and concealed political viewpoints aside, there HAS to be more to this story. No one 18 years old with normal mental capacity wouldn't have the ability to find food. Its a natural instinct. We know where food is and we could take it. If he gets busted shoplifting food, he goes to jail and lives, if he succeeds, he lives. That doesn't excuse the behavior of strangers that apparently didn't help, but I would guess there's more to that too.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I wasn't going to post again after everyone jumped all over me for saying I lifting some cans of SPAM from the non secure 7-11 a couple times whilst drunk in college (and YOU DIDN'T I'm sure), but I have to say: This thread just cracks me up. I'm laughing my butt off.

Somewhere, a dumpster-diver is smiling.

MC

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I live in NJ and drive into New York at least once a week. Almost every week, there's a guy who holds up a "Homeless and Hungy" sign on the exit ramp from the George Washington Bridge. As people drive by slowly - this is NYC traffic - they hand him money and food. The interesting thing is that he ALWAYS has food with him - either in his hands or on the ground next to him. One time, I saw somebody hand this guy a full McDonald's bag from their car window. He opened it up, pulled out an untouched burger and began eating. Then another. Then fries!

My point - people in this country are NOT cruel or heartless or "jaded". There's more to this story than what's being reported.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Y'all who don't think there is starvation in this country need to take a long, slow drive through the rural routes of Appalachia, or a careful walk through northern Central Park in New York.

Malnourishment causes a weakened immune system and organ failure. You don't necessarily die from having literally no food for weeks, but an lack of quality nourishment can bring about your death from other causes. And there are, indeed, people whose pride, stubbornness, or general stupidity causes them to let themselves waste away.

As for the story being bogus, what makes you say that other than a stubborn refusal to believe something you don't want to believe? Isn't the Philadelphia Inquirer a reputable enough paper for you? Do they not cite their sources well enough? Or is it the judge whose testimony you disbelieve.

Believe it: it happens here. Not on the same scale as in other countries, but it happens here.

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
In the U.S., actual documented cases of clinical malnutrition are so rare they are almost always the result of child abuse and neglect, not because of a lack of public assistance programs. Every five to ten years the fedral government has to organize a public service campaign to get people to take food stamps because the program is under-utilized by the public in comparison with funding resources that have been allocated to the programs. Add to that AFDC, WIC, etc., etc., and there simply is no reason to starve outside of a death wish.

I am accosted by panhendlers every day on the way to my office. When I give them directions to the Union Gospel mission where they can get a meal and place to sleep, I get the finger and a whole lot of bad will. You see, they want cash for the liquor store across the street. For some guys a "40" is just a lot more comforting than a meal and a bible.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
It's so easy for people to say "if I were in that situation, I would do blah, blah, blah" But YOU weren't in that situation. Obviously this kid was in horrible shape.

While I usually take what the press says with a grain of salt, the Inquirer is a reputable paper. Maybe making people look heartless may have been blown out of proportion, many of those people exist I'm sure. Maybe he looked like a crack user and nobody wanted to contribute to his "addiction"? You just don't know. You didn't see what he looked like. I find it commendable that Janice Goodman would take him in. Not knowing the circumstances of this story, how many here can HONESTLY say they'd let a complete stranger in their house?

Mike D.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Are we forgetting this 18 year old young man was only 60 pounds when finally discovered?

I don't know about you but if I weighed 60 lbs. at age 18 my physical and mental capacity would be severely impaired.
It may be an instinct to survive but if your body and mind can't carry out the actions then your going to starve without someone else's assistance.
Sure the public is probably not getting all details of the story but I personally don't' think that makes it untrue.

Is it extremely difficult to starve to death in America?
Yes

Is it possible that a person has or could starve to death in America?
Yes

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks