easy speaker question about "monitors"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Im fairly new to the HT scene, but am learning a lot.
    Im thinking about buying some Wharfedale Monitor speakers, except for the fact that I dont know what the "Monitor" in Wharfedale Monitors means. It seems to be categorized in a "bookshelf" category. Am I wrong? I know theyre floorstanding.
    Do these make good mains? Not the Wharfedaled specifically, but monitors in general. Could someone explain the difference?

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Hi Anthony,
    Whenever I see the word "monitor," I think "small."

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I am not familiar with the Wharfdale line, but Paradigm sells a series of speakers in a Monitor series. These speakers vary in size from a small bookshelf speaker with one woofer and tweeter to several floor standing models with two or three woofers and tweeters. I am not sure the word monitor has any real definition when it comes to speakers.

4. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

so, if i am now using some old Fishers (they sound pretty good), would it be wise to upgrade to some of these:
    http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=5388770
    Im not buying them from ubid, but those are them. My friend has a pair that he wants to sell for $100. Good deal? I cant really afford too much more. Thanks for the input.

5. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

My understanding is that the term "monitor" indicates a speaker that is designed to be unbiased or as transparent as possible with a flat response-curve so that no frequency range is any louder, for equal power, than any other frequencies. It is very hard to get a perfectly flat response curve, but they make the effort. Because of the flat curve, some people may feel that music played through monitors lacks "punch."
    I have a full complement of Wharfedale's previous line of monitors (the MFM-5 and MFM-7 series) which I did buy from ubid and am very happy with them. So are most of the people who have reviewed them here:
    http://audioreview.com/reviews/speaker/index_W.shtml

6. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Anthony,
    I just sold a pair of Wharfedale MFM-7's. They sounded great with lots of detail, and dynamics weren't too bad either. I only sold them because all of my other speakers are B&W's and I wanted the mains to match so I went with B&W 604's. The 604's sound better but I don't even want to think about how much more they cost. [​IMG]
    For 100 bucks you can't go wrong, IMO.
    If you end up getting the Wharfedale's, let us know what you think of them.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    So Cal Area HTF Movie night