1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

easy speaker question about "monitors"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Im fairly new to the HT scene, but am learning a lot.
    Im thinking about buying some Wharfedale Monitor speakers, except for the fact that I dont know what the "Monitor" in Wharfedale Monitors means. It seems to be categorized in a "bookshelf" category. Am I wrong? I know theyre floorstanding.
    Do these make good mains? Not the Wharfedaled specifically, but monitors in general. Could someone explain the difference?

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Hi Anthony,
    Whenever I see the word "monitor," I think "small."

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I am not familiar with the Wharfdale line, but Paradigm sells a series of speakers in a Monitor series. These speakers vary in size from a small bookshelf speaker with one woofer and tweeter to several floor standing models with two or three woofers and tweeters. I am not sure the word monitor has any real definition when it comes to speakers.

4. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

so, if i am now using some old Fishers (they sound pretty good), would it be wise to upgrade to some of these:
    http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=5388770
    Im not buying them from ubid, but those are them. My friend has a pair that he wants to sell for $100. Good deal? I cant really afford too much more. Thanks for the input.

5. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

My understanding is that the term "monitor" indicates a speaker that is designed to be unbiased or as transparent as possible with a flat response-curve so that no frequency range is any louder, for equal power, than any other frequencies. It is very hard to get a perfectly flat response curve, but they make the effort. Because of the flat curve, some people may feel that music played through monitors lacks "punch."
    I have a full complement of Wharfedale's previous line of monitors (the MFM-5 and MFM-7 series) which I did buy from ubid and am very happy with them. So are most of the people who have reviewed them here:
    http://audioreview.com/reviews/speaker/index_W.shtml

6. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Anthony,
    I just sold a pair of Wharfedale MFM-7's. They sounded great with lots of detail, and dynamics weren't too bad either. I only sold them because all of my other speakers are B&W's and I wanted the mains to match so I went with B&W 604's. The 604's sound better but I don't even want to think about how much more they cost. [​IMG]
    For 100 bucks you can't go wrong, IMO.
    If you end up getting the Wharfedale's, let us know what you think of them.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    So Cal Area HTF Movie night