What's new

easy speaker question about "monitors" (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Im fairly new to the HT scene, but am learning a lot.
Im thinking about buying some Wharfedale Monitor speakers, except for the fact that I dont know what the "Monitor" in Wharfedale Monitors means. It seems to be categorized in a "bookshelf" category. Am I wrong? I know theyre floorstanding.
Do these make good mains? Not the Wharfedaled specifically, but monitors in general. Could someone explain the difference?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am not familiar with the Wharfdale line, but Paradigm sells a series of speakers in a Monitor series. These speakers vary in size from a small bookshelf speaker with one woofer and tweeter to several floor standing models with two or three woofers and tweeters. I am not sure the word monitor has any real definition when it comes to speakers.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
My understanding is that the term "monitor" indicates a speaker that is designed to be unbiased or as transparent as possible with a flat response-curve so that no frequency range is any louder, for equal power, than any other frequencies. It is very hard to get a perfectly flat response curve, but they make the effort. Because of the flat curve, some people may feel that music played through monitors lacks "punch."
I have a full complement of Wharfedale's previous line of monitors (the MFM-5 and MFM-7 series) which I did buy from ubid and am very happy with them. So are most of the people who have reviewed them here:
http://audioreview.com/reviews/speaker/index_W.shtml

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Anthony,
I just sold a pair of Wharfedale MFM-7's. They sounded great with lots of detail, and dynamics weren't too bad either. I only sold them because all of my other speakers are B&W's and I wanted the mains to match so I went with B&W 604's. The 604's sound better but I don't even want to think about how much more they cost.
eek.gif

For 100 bucks you can't go wrong, IMO.
If you end up getting the Wharfedale's, let us know what you think of them.
rin
------------------
My Home Theater
So Cal Area HTF Movie night

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks