Easy and Inexpensive HTML editor recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My sister has her own small business (arts and crafts) and she would like to do a webpage. I have done webpages before with Javascript and stuff but I have simply used Notepad as my editor. I can teach her the basics of most all of HTML 4.0 and some simple javascript and CGI scripting but I thought it would be much simpler for her to use a good and easy to use HTML editor, something that simplies the use of IMAGE tags and stuff. Very basic, but something that's easier to do than Notepad for somebody that is not a programmer.

Any recommendations? Do you think MS Word's HTML filter is useful enough to do simple pages?

I can probably add a Java or Javascript Navbar for her in the future, or use Frames, but for simply pages, do you think that MS is a good enough platform, I've never used it for HTML before?

Jay

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I've used CoffeeCup for a while and liked it. It's about $50.00 so it's not too expensive. It has quite a few features and I was able to accomplish a lot with it. Check it out
    here.
    -Andre F

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    DaveF, seems like the first two is on Domainame/Web Hosting which I'm not interested in and Dreamweaver is too expensive. Which I tried to point out that I was looking for an inexpensive HTML editor. But thanks for the links anyway.

My sister who is not much into computers is not interested at all in using Flash or anything superfancy, her arts and crafts business is a side project but many people have kind of asked if she had a website which she doesn't. She has an ISP though which offers 5MB of webspace and that is probably adequate for a small website with small JPGs.

CoffeeCup sounds cute and they seem to split their packages into parts to make it cheaper. If one doesn't need to do imagemaps or Stylesheets (She wont), then she wont have to buy them. I'll have to check them out some more...

Jay

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Does she want a WYSIWYG editor or a text-based editor that can input and check some of the HTML codes?

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    A WYSIWYG editor would be great. I mean the image tags and the way it's formatting can be confusing to nonprogrammers and programmers alike sometimes when one hasn't been working with them for awhile, so something that she can type, has the simply font formatters and can import and export JPGS.

I haven't worked with any of these HTML editors myself, but I imagine they could also make HREF tag creation easy by using Dialog Boxes and asking you to input the URL, the Link Name, and the ALT boxes and stuff and it'll create the link itself. Stuff like that, something that a person who can use MS Word to print flyers and stuff can also pick up easily, without having to learn HTML in detail.

Jay

6. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

Try Netscape Composer which is included in Netscape Navigator. The 6.x version is acutally pretty decent.

7. Darren Lewis

If you want a good text editor then NoteTab Lite is free and will automate some of the HTML for you.
    A free WYSIWYG editor is 1st Page, though I haven't tried this myself.

8. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i just want to point out that if you use M$ Frontpage i will have to find out where you live and take your computer away from you. that is all...

i use dreamweaver, if you have a student in your family, you could try to get an educational version, they are cheaper, thats what i did, of course i am in college....

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

10. Darren Lewis

Sorry, I thought 1st Page was WYSIWYG. I've just double-checked their site and it isn't [​IMG]
    You can use Word 2000 to export to HTML, but the code it creates is very bloated and messy IMO.
    The best WYSIWYG out their is Dreamweaver IMO. The old saying - "You get what you pay for".

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

13. Darren Lewis

Notepad is a good text editor, but I think that there are better options out there for editing text files. I find that Notepad has a few limitations and I personally find its interface bland.
    Notetab Lite is a great freeware editor. Paid-for text editors worth a look are TextPad and UltraEdit.
    Getting back to Jay's original question, it looks as though there aren't any free WYSIWYG webpage creators out there.
    Some people like to work with the HTML code itself, others prefer the graphical WYSIWYG interface.
    Another WYSIWYG HTML editor that I've heard recommended is HoTMetaL Pro

14. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

15. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

17. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

18. Darren Lewis

Notepad does it's job, but there are better text editors out there.

I suppose it's all down to personal taste. I like the comforts and user interface of some of the better text editors available. Eg Having line numbers helped when I had to de-bug a PHP script I was modifying recently for my website.

The content should be the same whichever text editor you use.

19. Bac Bradley

Bac Bradley Stunt Coordinator

Started with Homesite years ago, will stick with Homesite for hopefully years to come [​IMG]