What's new

Easter Parade Laserdisc Offers Details On Restoration (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just pulled one of my Laserdiscs of Easter Parade to read the specs and this is what it states "This new laserdisc edition has been digitally mastered from a new 35mm interpositive, manufactured from M-G-M's original 3-strip IB Technicolor nitrate camera negatives." I cannot hook up my machine right now due to illness but what I still feel is this disc offered great quality image better than the dvd and Blu which look dupey in certain scenes, was a different source used for them I remember when the dvd was released their was talk it was not a true Ultra Restoration release - does anyone have the ability to post screen caps from the laserdisc?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There were two logical norms toward preserving 3-strip OCNs to Eastman.

CRI

IP

Either could be done with minimal or major quality intact.

Nothing unusual here.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
There were two logical norms toward preserving 3-strip OCNs to Eastman.

CRI

IP

Nothing unusual here.
Question is though why would the Laserdisc transfer remind one of Glorious Technicolor and the dvd and blu be a let down-seems dvd and blu used different source? What would be the difference between CRI and IP?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Obviously I need to re-watch the Blu-ray disc. I don't recall it being a let-down.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Obviously I need to re-watch the Blu-ray disc. I don't recall it being a let-down.
Slants review pegged what i am trying to convey - The extra visual information is certainly welcome, though the movie’s Technicolor bona fides still run a little Easter Bunny-pastel held up against some of MGM’s other musical extravaganzas from the era. That could just as easily be a limitation in the source material, and the imperfections and drab patches seem to vary from scene to scene. In all, a solid-looking disc. - I do remember the dvd was never confirmed to be Ultra resolution still think the print used for the laser was better saturation wise.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
check out RAH's review and some of the comments about it the color on the blu etc- - -https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/a-few-words-about-tm-easter-parade-in-blu-ray.321434/page-2

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
If the Eastman fire was in 78 I imagine what we were seeing in the mid 70s at the Regency and Radio City were taken from the original camera negatives. I'm glad I was lucky enough to have seen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks