1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Easter Eggs (Final Fantasy has lots of them)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Milligan, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

Even as you read this, brudder Mike is checking out the fantabulous Final Fantasy set, but we thought you might wanna see just how many eggs it has sooner rather than later.
    Not two, not four, but FIVE so far. Also, you can feast your eyes on the loaded specs.
    For those who appreciate the hunt, and DON'T want to know where the eggs are, don’t click here.
    Everyone else, have a gander. It seems there's lots of eggs out in the world these days, here's our complete list (of true eggs only). New ones for Swordfish, Cats & Dogs, of course Star Wars Episode One, Godfather, Freddy Got Fingered, Terminator, Citizen Kane, and Simpsons. All this after months of not much in that department.
    Enjoy
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

There are some easter eggs in the movie itself: chocobos, Hironobu Sakaguchi, and, as a rumor, a scene with Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker having a light saber fight.
    ~T

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I find it strange that such a bomb of a movie gets such a good DVD. THANK YOU SQUARE!!!
    I saw Sakaguchi in the film, and I remember someone mentioning a chocobo at one scene, but I ain't saying nothing.
    By next friday I will probably have found every easter egg on this disc from watching it so much.

4. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

I've also found two more not mentioned in your review bringing the total up to seven so far! Is this the most easter eggs on one release?
    Richard
    ------------------
    DVD Collection

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

quote: I find it strange that such a bomb of a movie gets such a good DVD. [/quote]
    The DVD was in development during the finishing stages of the movie. They could not have known how well the movie would have done.
    I was able to spot one Sakaguchi appearance and one chocobo appearance during my third theatrical viewing:
    Spoiler:
    Sakaguchi appears at the far right or left end during the conference.
    The chocobo can be seen when Major Elliot looks at his bloodied hand; the outline of the blood forms a chocobo.

~T
    [Edited last by Thi Them on October 19, 2001 at 03:52 PM]

6. Kyle Milligan

Richard, do tell. What did you find?
    "Abyss" has eight eggs, and "Swordfish" has ten.
    Chicken Run has 12 (apparently), but we could only find 11.
    Anyone know of one with more? None come to mind right off the top of my head.
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    has anybody found the 'golden egg' of easter eggs? A pic of the guys dog in The Abyss?

8. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,
    Heres the other two I found.
    Spoiler:On the first menu that comes up on disc two highlight 'Play Documentary', press left then up and then press enter. This brings up footage of an Aki head model. Then on the same main menu highlight 'Highlights', press right then down and then enter. This brings up production art for a restaurant scene they didn't use.
    Richard

9. Kyle Milligan

Thanks Richard.
    Nick, I think you're right. That is the be-all end all egg of eggs. Not 'cos we wanna see the dog, just because of the challenge. No luck here. Anybody?
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There's a chat with Van Ling coming up (no set date), that's what I was already intending to ask him [​IMG] It's been 2years, no one's going to find it
    Jeff Kleist

11. Kyle Milligan

hOK then, brudder Mike finally wrapped it up, and there's seven easter eggs in total. Thanks again to Richard, my brother says he found them without help, but it's appreciated anyway.
    The skinny on the eggs is here .
    And here's his (full) take on the set:
    The first disc, which contains the movie, offers many entertaining and informative permutations of watching the film. Of the two feature length commentaries, my favourite is actually recorded in Japanese by the head animators and directors; obviously, their comments are subtitled. Even though their conversation is upbeat and full of laughter, I really have no idea what they are saying so reading along is the only option. With this subtitling capability I can listen to another commentary or the isolated score, which includes some commentary by composer Elliot Goldenthal, to maximize my viewing experience.
    One of the most interesting things they discussed was the somewhat confusing ending. They seriously considered changing it to suit American audiences who aren’t as familiar with the theories of Gaia, and what happens to your soul when you die. My personal understanding of the film is significantly enhanced due to their input.
    If that weren’t enough, almost the entire movie’s storyboards, sketches, and early computer animation has been chronologically edited together with the film’s real audio and score. This version of the film is only sixteen minutes shorter than the finished product and is easily the most ambitious feature I’ve ever seen, as far as production art is concerned. What’s more, is that this feature can be accompanied by yet another commentary by numerous collaborators and subtitled factoids; astonishing accomplishment.
    When you finally make your way to disc two, you will find that the main feature is a cleverly imaginative documentary discussing the four-year journey that it took to create this innovative film. Just when you think you are watching a thirty minute feature, pop-up windows appear which lead you through the looking glass to a world of early art conceptions, animation tests, script developments and mini featurettes. These extras are actually longer than the documentary itself. Furthermore, while in these sidebars, which are often groovy images set to some savory beats, there are optional commentaries that can be accessed by pressing the audio button on your remote. Instructions as to how to access these features are included in the menus so you know what to look for, but the 17 sub-features are conveniently located at the beginning of each of the chapters 2-18 of the documentary.
    Also on Disc two, are scads of excellent miscellaneous pieces that further delve into the created images. Biographies and stats of the characters, specs on the vehicles, compositions, mattes etc. are all worth a look. Those who were frustrated by Aki’s dream being shown to us piecemeal in the movie can break out their dream anthologies and analyze it in its entirety, as it too is included uncut with the other tidbits.
    Among all these futuristic and highly detailed elements is perhaps the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. While clinging tenaciously to a retro era, the animators have rendered a complete recreation of the zombie dance from Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’. With a send up this accurate and deliberate I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry. Usually I choose the former, because it’s absolutely hilarious. As well, there are some intentionally created outtakes akin to those seen on “A Bug’s Life”, that are almost as funny, but the animation details aren’t as polished and choreographed as the dance number.
    If you read all the included details on the case and surmised that the features were quantity over quality, you would be mistaken. I can’t even imagine what more they could have done to impress me further. It is a phenomenal set.
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net