What's new

East Side Kids Marathon on TCM starting tonight at 8:00 p.m. (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The title of this thread says it all. Turner Classic Movies is showing 15 East Side Kids films starting tonight at 8:00 p.m. ET.

8:00 PM East Side Kids (1940) A street tough searches for evidence to get his brother out of prison. Leon Ames, Joyce Moore, Dennis Bryan. D: Robert Hill. BW 60m.

9:15 PM Boys of the City (1940) Street kids sent to a better environment in the country get caught in a haunted house. Bobby Jordan, Leo Gorcey, Dave O'Brien. D: Joseph Lewis. BW 62m.

10:30 PM That Gang of Mine (1940) A street tough tries to land a job as a jockey. Bobby Jordan, Leo Gorcey, Clarence Muse. D: Joseph H. Lewis. BW 62m.

11:45 PM Pride of the Bowery (1941) In search of a boxing camp, a street tough mistakenly signs on with a conservation group. Leo Gorcey, Bobby Jordan, Donald Haines. D: Joseph Lewis. BW 60m.

14 - Tuesday

1:00 AM Flying Wild (1941) When he gets a job at an aviation plant, a street tough stumbles onto an enemy spy ring. Leo Gorcey, Bobby Jordan, Donald Haines. D: William West. BW 61m.

2:15 AM Bowery Blitzkrieg (1941) An East Side Kid is saved from a life of crime when he becomes a Golden Gloves champ. Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, David Gorcey. D: Wallace Fox. BW 62m.

3:30 AM Spooks Run Wild (1941) A group of delinquents on their way to summer camp get stuck in a haunted house. Leo Gorcey, Bela Lugosi, Angelo Rossitto. D: Phil Rosen. BW 65m.

4:45 AM Mr. Wise Guy (1942) A group of delinquents try to clear a man framed for a gangster's murder. Leo Gorcey, Bobby Jordan, Huntz Hall. D: William Nigh. BW 70m.

6:00 AM Let's Get Tough! (1942) Too young to enlist, a gang of street kids try to solve the murder of an Allied agent. Huntz Hall, Leo Gorcey, Bobby Jordan. D: Wallace Fox. BW 62m.

7:15 AM Smart Alecks (1942) An attempt to raise funds for new baseball uniforms gets a group of boys mixed up in crime. Leo Gorcey, David Gorcey, Huntz Hall. D: Wallace Fox. BW 66m.

8:30 AM 'Neath Brooklyn Bridge (1942) The Bowery Boys come to the rescue of a young murder suspect. Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, Bobby Jordan. D: Wallace Fox. BW 61m.

9:45 AM Kid Dynamite (1943) A boxer is kidnaped by gamblers to keep him out of a big fight. Huntz Hall, Leo Gorcey, Bobby Jordan. D: Wallace Fox. BW 66m.

11:00 AM Clancy Street Boys (1943) A small-time tough enlists his gang mates to impress a visiting uncle. Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, Bobby Jordan. D: William Beaudine. BW 65m.

12:15 PM Ghosts on the Loose (1943) A gang of street toughs take on Nazi spies. Leo Gorcey, Bela Lugosi, Ava Gardner. D: William Beaudine. BW 65m.

1:30 PM Million Dollar Kid (1944) Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, Gabriel Dell. D: Wallace Fox. BW 65m.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Tonight at 8 A.M.?;)

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a great lineup.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I plan on recording all of these except for GHOST, SPOOKS. LET'S GET TOUGH and a couple others I already own.

I'm more interested in "The Bowery Boys". I've seen a few of these PD titles but haven't cared for them too much. GHOST and SPOOKS would be my "favorites" but that was mostly due to Lugosi.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Just think about how much people complain about H'wood having no new ideas and milking franchises to death as you look at 15 films for one franchise coming out just during the war years.

Everytime people complain about "no new ideas" with remakes, franchises, etc I just have to laugh. With the B-picture teams in the Studio Era "product films" were cranked out 10 times worse than they are today.

None of this is to say that these aren't fun pictures of course. The Thin Man and Road To... series are 2 of my very faves in fact and represent the same sort of film production (ie, lots of sequels/series films).

Anyway, god bless TCM, though I missed most of these this time around. Just the fact that they do this sort of thing all the time. If TCM charged a separate fee, say $5, I'd pay it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Same here! I've seen so many classics just by tuning into this channel after Conan on late nights. Now I can guess what year a movie was made within 3-4 years just from seeing a bit of video and hearing the audio. Well that's a great feat for me anyway. ;)

I just got done watching a little montage of Cary Grant narrated by Michael Cane. It's the little things like these that make it one of my favorite channels. :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I would also willingly pay a premium charge of $5 for TCM if necessary. TCM is the best channel on television. No commercials, OAR presentations, hundreds of classic movies per month, TCM original productions and a willingness to show silent films and foreign films; TCM is everything a classic movie channel should be. Obviously I'm not interested in everything they show, but I watch TCM more than any other channel.

Keep up the great work, TCM!

Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks