What's new

East Coast Earthquake, August 2011 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Looks like a 5.8er, scared the crap outta us, but we got out safe and orderly. Hope all of you are well and your families secure! http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23/quake-hits-near-washington-d-c/?hpt=hp_c2 My family would be VERY proud of me. Surrounded by my Macbook Air, iPad, iPhone, Keys, Wallet and Kindle, I didn't grab ANY of them but took a strong motivational leadership role and got the folks on my floor out. AKA loudly and calmly shouted across an entire floor "Get Up, let's go, we are all outta here" =) Volunteer fireman and boyscout training for the win ;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Felt the aftershock from Albany around 1:50ishpm here in the Berkshires, the floor shook and the lights swayed a bit. Nothing to earth shattering, more of a "huh?" Jay

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Remember feeling the Seattle earthquake from a bit over ten years ago. I was 300 miles inland. The building I was in actually swayed as if we were on a large boat. Very strange feeling. We had aftershocks for days. Didn't feel them but they were tremendously loud, sounding like giant thunder claps. Glad you got out, just something falling from a shelf and hitting you can be very dangerous. Just a little eye-opener that no matter what, Mother Nature always wins.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
We West Coasters were somewhat amused by all the "Oh My God! An earthquake!" reactions from the East Coasters. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Jay H said:
Sam, you sure you guys didn't think it was just somebody testing some field artillery, now???? :) Jay
Funny you mention that. A. I asked the guy behind me if he heard them blowing anything up and he replied "No but my monitor is shaking" at which point I got up and marshalled us all out. Things started crashing overhead about halfway down our exit, I thought the building was coming down on top of us. B. The idiots decided to start blowing stuff up on the range WHILE WE WERE STILL WAITING FOR THE ALL CLEAR and throughout the rest of the day!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks