Easiest way to get cable in stereo? (need outputs)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joe Hsu, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Didn't know where to make this thread, so this was my best guess...

basically, I'm sick of having to go through my computer (winfast 2000XP tuner card) to get cable in stereo on my system. Apart from buying a descrambler box on ebay, are there any ways to get the audio signal to my receiver? The cable box we get (Scientific Atlanta 8610, I believe) just has RF-in and RF-out.

Any such thing as an RF-demodulator?

Thanks guys.

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

something like this?

Yamaha APD-1

sounds like you could also get DD5.1 (from broadcasts that have it)

last check on ebay starts at $100

3. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Interesting...but at that price, quite frankly, I'd just go buy a descrambler box. [​IMG]

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

A cheap VCR. This is what I used for my analog cable before I got digital cable, which came with a better box (I also needed it for video to my projector).

Doug

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Until you digital cable, I think Doug_B is the best solution. A stereo VCR would do the trick. I know the stereo signal is carried through the Coax cable to the vcr from the cable company. However, depending on what cable is used, not all channels may carry a stereo signal.

6. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

In my experience very few analog channels are really in stereo. Most are mono.

7. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

hmph...okay then. I guess I thought I was rid of those pesky VCRs, but they seem to have a purpose after all. Now to look for a cheap, but good one...you'd think that with the advent of all these new types of media, stores would clearance their VCRs more readily. [​IMG]

8. Jerome Grate

If you are going the VCR route, then I would look into a S-VHS machine. What the heck, if you're going to do it, might as well do it the best way.

9. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

that Yamaha unit is for dolby digital RF output on a laserdisc player not for cable tv.

10. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

If you really want to do it on the cheap, check your local pawn shops. My VCR recently died, and all I use it for is recording football games when I am working, so I bought a used Toshiba 4 head, Stereo VCR for $35 from my local pawn shop. It had a short waranty, enough to make sure it would work when I got it home at least.

Steve

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Can’t your local cable company exchange your cable box for one with RCA outputs?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Joe,
    Does your TV have audio outputs? When i had my Sony 32" it had audio outputs on the back that i just hooked into my surround system. I had to go into the tv setup menu and activate them. I have set up a couple of friends this way also. If your TV set has audio outs then you can just hook them into your receiver/processor. This could eliminate the need for a VCR.

Dalton

13. Jerome Grate

Sometimes dealing with digital can cause you to forget the basics, Dalton's idea really should have been the first question. Your t.v. if it has the outputs would do the trick without a vcr. (Doh).

14. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

hehe, no worries, I checked that a long time ago. But nope, it's a cheapie TV, which is just gonna have to do until I can afford an X1.

Time to see what eBay has to offer. [​IMG]