EA's Sled Storm to feature 1080i support

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ellinger, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

PSM's preview of Sled Storm (next EA Sports Big title) mentions that it will feature 1080i support for HDTV owners. I'm surprised this is the first I've heard about this. This website seems to confirm it.
    Does this mean we'll be seeing more HD games on PS2 soon?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

This thread also said the same but showed that PSM Mag isn't a good source for info like this. It's nice to finally hear it from the source themselves, though it doesn't really specify which HD resolution will be used.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

"straight from the source"?
    The EA press release on their website for Sled Storm makes no mention of HD support that I can see. It does mention realtime DTS support though.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

With all the examples of the media being totally unable to comprehend HD (especially in terms of its application in gaming) we should all tread with caution on this one.

5. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

The term "HDTV support" doesn't speak to me. My Dreamcast supports HDTV, doesn't it? I mean, my HDTV can display the game, so doesn't that mean the console supports HDTV?

I am not trying to be a wanker here, but to me the literal translation of HDTV support means nothing.

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Can someone show me where it mentions support in the actual press release instead of regurgitating it from PSM?

8. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Mike,

You have a great point, but my gripe is that if Sony PS2 can really support High-def games, they should be SCREAMING the news. Especially since a lot of the technophiles are buying the Xbox based on the system specs and ability to play games under an ATSC format.

It just doesn't make sense that the HDTV support is buried in some press release for a not-so-high-profile game. But then again, maybe I am wrong.

Jason

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

10. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Mike,

Sure, I agree with you to some extent. But I disagree that people do not care. We live in a specification-crazy society where processor speeds, amount of RAM, and internet connection speed are all considered "quality" factors. I think that even though not many people can take advantage of the progressive scan capabilities of the X-box, some people chose it over the Gamecube because it promised this never-before-heard term HDTV.

So, just because people don't understand something doesn't mean that the marketing people will ignore it. Just to prove a point, we were watching the olympics the other night and saw an advertisement for IT outsourcing. Let me ask you this - how many people care about that? Most of us out there first heard this term on this commercial. But man, IT outsourcing sounds pretty cool, huh? And I am sure that some folks in the audience went and looked up what it meant the next day.

I guess my point is that just because the average user doesn't appreciate it, oftentimes marketing people play this game of sounding really hi-tech with neat acronyms like HDTV and NTSC and ATSC just so that people will think "hey these guys must have a great product, because look it supports xxxx". People are really like this.

Sony is not hurting for console sales. In fact, we discussed ad nauseum last year about how Sony was actually able to increase its sales after the GCN and X-Box launched. So, they really do not NEED to push any HDTV support, it just seems like they would be touting it more if it had the capability. It should at least list these things on a spec sheet so us geeks can point to an official source and say "look! there it is!"

Peace, Love, and Rice Krispies Treats,

Jas