EA's Road to the World Cup '02?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Been sorting doing some websearches today, wondering when/if there's gonna be a Soccer game for the X-box. Out of the various sports games, I think I'm really only interested in Soccer/Football so looking at the various games, it seems EA is not releasing FIFA'02 for the X-box but later on something called "Road to the World Cup" Anybody have a concrete date and or any good previews out there.. I keep finding stuff on RtWC'98 on the net...

Jay

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I guess nobody is interested in Football/Soccer?? Oh well, I waded through EA's website (sloooowwww on dialup) and saw that they do have FIFA2002, as an X-box release. About 50 million results from a websearch seem to imply that FIFA wasn't coming out for the x-box.. Oh well, hope EA is right... Haven't played a console soccer game since the C-64.

Jay

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'm a big big soccer fan, just not a fan of the EA FIFA games. The Konami ISS series stomps all over it IMO.

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

From what I've read, Fifa2002 is basically RTWC even if it's not named it. There will be a World Cup game released later this year much like they did in 98.

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

To be strictly accurate, I've got Road To The World Cup '98 lying around somewhere, and its a different game to the Fifa '98 game that also came out, so don't expect the two to be the same in '02. That time around, the cup setups were all based around the qualifying stages rather than just the final itself that the other game dealt with. I really didn't like the 'improvements' that the following '98 game did, but then I think that ISS Pro Evolution is the only thing to even come close to the real god of football games, Sensible World Of Soccer on the Amiga...

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks guys, kind of felt like the small fish in the pond of the sharks (American Football, Basketball, etc)...[​IMG]
    So my next logical question is what's the big difference between the two, should I hold out for one versus the other, etc. Is there a difference in styles of play, like is one require more hand/eye coordination than the other or if one is more realistic versus arcade type?
    Jay

7. Iain Lambert

Jay - there is really no way to be sure on that one until the release. EA will always tell you that the latest is the greatest, but any Swingers fan will know better than to trust that.

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

9. Iain Lambert

D'oh! Graeme is, of course, correct. Serves me right for doing things from memory of a four year old game. World Cup '98 was what I meant by Fifa '98.