Earthquake SuperNova MKIV-10 Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jim_W, Jan 8, 2003.

1. jim_W

jim_W Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody have any experience with this subwoofer? If possible, could anyone give a comparision to a HSU vtf-2. Thanks in advance.

2. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I recently brought home the 12 inch version & wasnt impressed-I was looking for an upgrade for my dual vtf-2 setup & after testing decided that the 12inch supernova was comparable to a single vtf-2. The 10 inch wouldnt even come close. Id definitely take a VTF-2. You would have to go with the 12 inch supernova to match or beat a single vtf-2 & for the price they go for you could buy 3 vtf-2s(or 2 vtf-3s)

-Oh yeah, I went with a vtf-3 to replace my dual vtf-2s.

3. jim_W

jim_W Stunt Coordinator

Ted, thanks for the response. I am currently running a vtf-2, that's why I asked. Unfortunately, I don't have any dealers near me that carry these, so I could go listen. I guess I will look elsewhere when it comes time to upgrading...

4. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

If you want an upgrade from the vtf-2 check out the vtf-3 or one of the SVS subs. With my change from dual vtf-2s to a single vtf-3 I didnt notice any difference with music, but in HT-WATCH OUT!-huge difference, much more impact. Or look at getting a second vtf-2. I could go much louder with 2 vtf-2s without distorting compared to a single vtf-2. Also 2 vtf-2s seemed to go a tad bit lower. If you are dead set on Earthquake-avoid the 10ich sub-its not in the same class as the 12 & 15 inch supernovas

5. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Ted is correct. I own dual Supernova 12's and I looked at the 10's. When I talked to Earthquake they told me the 12 and 15's are handbuilt in the US and the 10 is built in China. (Cabinet and amp) the drivers are from the US. As for anyone that compares a HSU vtf-2 to an Earthquake and did not like it, they must have had something set up incorrectly. I have tried HSU, SVS and Earthquake. The HSU vtf2 wasn't in the same league as the Earthquake and SVS. I actually liked the SVS slightly better but I chose the Earthquakes because I needed 2 subs in different locations in my room to smooth out the response. The wife would not allow 2 SVS's and the Earthquake fit in much better. I would say the dual Earthquakes were 98.5% of the dual SVS 25-31 CS pluses I had in my room. I was running the SVS's with 400 watts per channel. Anyway both SVS and Eathquake are amazing subs.

6. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

As for anyone that compares a HSU vtf-2 to an Earthquake and did not like it, they must have had something set up incorrectly.

I had it set up right. I calibrated with VE & a ratshack db meter. I also tried it running several db higher over reference(the way I ran my vtf-2s). I tried different locations/positions as well as the recommended position from Earthquake(set it so the passive radiator is roughly 5 inches from a wall)-no matter what I tried I couldnt get that "wow" difference I got when comparing with a VTF-3. No matter what I tried I really couldnt tell a difference between my dual vtf-2s & the 12inch Supernova. i really wanted to hear a difference because I love the small size of the supernova, but for $1600 I found it extremely disappointing. Im willing to bet the push-pull design of the supernova just isnt suited for my room, whereas the ported HSU design is. As soon as I hooked up a VTF-3 i heard & felt a major difference.

7. jim_W

jim_W Stunt Coordinator

Eric, was the 10 noticeably sub-par to the 12 or 15? What is your opinion of a 10 vs. a vtf-2? Thanks for your post.

8. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I have to say I only heard the 10 in my dealers showroom and it had considerably less output than the 12 or 15. I had the VTF-2 in my home and compared it to the 12 and SVS and for my room it had considerably less output than 1 12 or 1 SVS. I truly could not say how the 2 compare because I do not have 1st hand knowledge of both subs in my room. This is where it counts for me. I do know the 10 is a good sub but I would probably look to add another VTF if you already have one. If you send me a personal email I can get you in touch with an authorized dealer that can get you a great deal on a 12.

9. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i have the supernova 10, it outputa ALOT in my room with the push and pull design and my seating being on the otherside of the room against the wall. I felt it more in my home then at the store. For some reason the 10 seemed to output more then the atlantic 15 inch sub in the store at reference. Maybe it's just me anyways, the sub is great for it's size.

10. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Jim,

What size is the room for these subs? I have a 16 X 20 X 8 room with an Earthquake MKIV12 and it does a wonderful job. I am about 2 hours from Lancaster and if you are in the area, you are welcome to an audition.

Charles

11. jim_W

jim_W Stunt Coordinator

The room is approx. 15x25x7 (finished basement), but we are looking at buying a new place closer to my new job, so that may change in the near future. Chas_T, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that. What town are you located in? I am in lititz, just north of lancaster. Thanks for the comments guys!

12. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Jim.. You have a PM with the details.

Charles