What's new

Earthquake Subwoofer Rocks! (1 Viewer)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Farnam,

If your subs cabinet is visibly moving (vibrating)you need to add mass to keep that from happening. I am not talking about the speaker cone itself, I am talking about the cabinet.

If it moves then it is like firing a cannon in a canoe. The sub should be "coupled" to the floor by being substantial enough in weight/mass to allow the woofer cone to move without "reactive" cabinet motion.

I have gone so far as to add large weights or other heavy objects. This means that the woofer excursion is maximizing and has reduced power or "air moving abilty" by the whole sub being pushed away.

This reactive movement, makes for a "muddy, flabby" low end.

Coupling (or making the cabinet immovable) tightens the bass in this situation AND adds air moving capabilty.

JAC

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Let me tell you all that in my 12 some odd years of Home Theater hobbying...I have seen many subs...been impressed with M & K, Velodyne, Paradigm, to name a few...in fact I even purchased M & K and Velodyne products because they ruled IMO.
After Thursday night at Michael's place, the Earthquake not only moved the techtonic plates beneath his home but moved me to now claim the new champion of subwoofers - the Earthquake MkIV 15". This thing is a beast - literally a monster - not in size, but where it counts...its heart is a true goliath sized pumper, and it pumps out some of the hardest hitting, heavy but tight bass that I have ever felt. Now I've been rumbled and rattled before by subs, this thing actually felt like it was going to lift the couch up off the floor. In fact there were times where I felt that the couch was magically hovering just above the carpet during any given heavy bass scene.
So, while the SVS is the revered sub here at HTF - my suggestion - check out an Earthquake - this sub may make you forget all about SVS!
I stongly believe that the Earthquake could best an SVS in testing. What do you SVS dudes think? :D
Eric.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>So, while the SVS is the revered sub here at HTF - my suggestion - check out an Earthquake - this sub may make you forget all about SVS!

I stongly believe that the Earthquake could best an SVS in testing. What do you SVS dudes think?

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Tom,
That would be a great contest!!! One day my friend!! :b
SVS vs. Earthquake :emoji_thumbsup:
Eric.

J

John Morris

I stongly believe that the Earthquake could best an SVS in testing. What do you SVS dudes think?
I'd take that challenge and put my SVS Ultra/K2 combo up against the Earthquake 15". Let me know who I contact so that they can send me the Earthquake test unit and I'll give em a call, test the subs and post the results here for all to read. Hello Joe S., give me a call! :)

farnamT

Agent
You can actually get the mkiv15 for $1500 online new... just do a search on google. I don't think it would be fare comparing two svs ultra's, but maybe the normal svs pair.

Nick P

Second Unit

John implied he would put a single Ultra up against the Earthquake and Tom said the twin 20-39CS+ combo which would be fair. The twin +s should outgun a single Ultra and since the twin +s cost the same as the online price for the Earthquake then it's an even playing field.

Nick V

Second Unit
I was just reading this thread for enjoyment, and wonder if anyone actually went through with any of those comparisons??

Just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks