What's new

Earthquake Subwoofer Rocks! (1 Viewer)

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Despite hearing all the testimonies of praise for the SVS subwoofers all over the net, I have been a little apprehensive about purchasing any speaker without hearing it first. When I was at CES, I was given the opportunity to hear the Earthquake sub and was really blown away by it. Since I got great pricing on it, I took advantage and grabbed it immediately. This sub dwarfs my Sunfire True Sub in sound and size. It is a sub with two 15" elements and is remarkably powerful. I can feel my pant legs moving at times! I sampled various demo DVDs such as Jurassic Park III and U-571, and it was just amazing how much I can piss off my neighbors with this thing.
earth.jpg

I also found it to be excellent with music also as it is quick and tight...very responsive with no muddiness. It played complex bass lines quickly and easily.
My friend recently won an SVS Sub at the AVS Forum dinner. I look forward to finally hearing one and draw comparisons.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys! I am still in shock at how low this can go so clearly.

John-

Let's get together again soon--maybe when Eric drops by. Let me know!

MarcVH

Second Unit
Cool! If you get more specifics (you know, like "It will cleanly go to 112 dB at 30 Hz in a 12x20 room" or whatever) I'm sure folks would be interested.

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
I too will be interested in hearing more when the comparision is done with your friends SVS sub that he won. This should make for interesting reading.

Thanks.

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Believe me, the Earthquake subs have gobs of usable output below 20Hz. I have a local dealer with very attractive pricing and demoed the MkIV15" in home for a weekend. I ended up with a dual SVS package because of the great price and size of my room. Dual Earthquakes, though priced well, would have run me near $3K. These subs(SVS 46CS+ and Earthquake) actually perform and sound pretty similar. The Earthquake might even be able to edge the 46CS+ package below 20Hz in both extension and output(slightly) by my ear. This says alot for both company's. Earthquake has some seriously engineered, mean looking drivers and radiators in those subs mated with a powerful digital amp. And SVS has matched that with their own engineering prowess and offered it at a better price. Me likes them both very much! :D Enjoy it, it's one mean bastard of a sub!

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I just ordered the identical sub to Michael's today....I check his out Thurs night and next week I should have mine to play with....I can't wait.....SPL's baby arrrh arrrrh :D
Eric.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Pardon the question, but what material do you guys use that has sounds below 20 hz? (The only material I have is a Teluarc "Great Fantasy and Adventure Album" CD, and it has 4 tracks with warnings that they reach 20 hz, let alone go below.)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I use "Pomp and Pipes". Track #4 and especially the last track have some very low & loud bass. Other music has low frequency information but at low levels (hall sounds, etc.).

Michael,

The Earthquake is a 15" driver, 15" Passive radiator design, correct?

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I spent a great evening at Michael Lee's house last night enjoying his newly beefed up Home Theatre.
With the addition of a Earthquake CineNova Grande 5 channel amp, an Earthquake SuperNova Millenium 15 (MKIV15P) subwoofer and a SharpVision projector his HT is truely state of the art.
Along with some new friends like EricK, John Tillman and Andy, we got to enjoy some choice music and movie demos.
The Eathquake sub is something to behold and hear! I have never heard such low extension anywhere (the only thing comparable was the Krell demo at last years HT Show in NYC).
This sub rocks the very foundation of his house. His poor wife! It is truly a beast.
The opening of Atlantis was spectacular. The Fast and the Furious was very furious, the Street Race scene really ripped!
Combined with the new amp and the very Sharp projector, Mike is a very lucky guy.
We all could have sat there all night in awe.
I give the Earthquake sub a :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: review!
JohnG:)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I've never heard a SVS before, but last night I experienced the earthquake.

You know when you're crusing a two lane road with a bunch of other cars, pull up to a traffic light, your coffee starts rippling in its cup, your windows start rattling, you can't hear the conversation on your own radio, all because one of the half dozen cars at the traffic light has a thunderous sub, rockin' the nuts & bolts off the car its in? Welcome to Mike's neiborhood, soon to be Eric's too.

Thunderous. Simply thunderous.

This theater is off the charts. The Sharp projector on a 108 inch screen, has a crispness, sharpness, colors and black levels that are astounding.

Mike, thanks for the demo.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
My neighbor just picked up the 15" SuperNova for like $1500. It has incredible sound pressure levels at the bottom. He used to have two HSU VTF-2 and we A-B'd, using some Vigil Fox and Telarc.

It wasn't a fair comparison (two 10" versus twin 15s) but the difference was startling.

John

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Just a little correction, the SuperNova doesn't have two drivers. One is a driver the other is a passive radiator. Above 40hz (rough guess, don't know what the PR is tuned to) only the driver really produces output. As you go below 40hz the driver starts to produce less output and the PR starts to produce more. Until you get to the actual tuning frequency at which point the driver will barely be moving while the PR will be flapping away. Then below tuning both will start flapping and output will fall quickly.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Output wise I'd expect the Earthquake to walk all over a Servo15. Sound quality wise I just don't know.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Pardon the question, but what material do you guys use that has sounds below 20 hz? (The only material I have is a Teluarc "Great Fantasy and Adventure Album" CD, and it has 4 tracks with warnings that they reach 20 hz, let alone go below.
Actualy the GFAA album has sound down to 5hz,though not very loud.

On Jurrasic Lunch [trck21] at 13 sec into it the first dyno step is clocking at 13hz!

Enjoy!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Output wise I'd expect the Earthquake to walk all over a Servo15. Sound quality wise I just don't know.
We listened to many musical selections including DVDA's the other night and the Earthquake 15 sounded great with music, very fast and nimble yet powerful when needed.
This sub should be on everybody's audition list if your in the market for a monster sub.
JohnG;)

farnamT

Agent
I own the earthquake MKIII-12, smaller driver and with different placment of the drivers and amp. Feeding it deep signals and this 74 pound box visibly viberates (shakes). It sends the vibration through the floor. I'm sure the 15 inch model has more output and since you can pick up the MKIV-15 for near $1500 i think it can meet or probably can beat a single SVS ultra for

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks