Earthquake or SVS

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Parker Bailey, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Parker Bailey

Parker Bailey Auditioning

I have been considering a new sub lately, and have come close to a decision. I was thinking about either the SVS 20-39PC+ or the Earthquake MKIV-12. I have heard many great reviews on both subs. One thing that does concern me about the SVS is that it is easy to bottom out. Is this true? The sub will be mainly for movies anyway, so I'm thinking earthquake is the way to go. I also do not like the idea of having to order SVS. If something goes wrong I will have to ship it back to them. However there is a local dealer that sells Earthquake. If anyone has any advice please respond. Thank you

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What size is your room? I doubt you would bottom out the SVS unless your room is just too big for it to handle by itself.

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

I ordered SVS.. and I'm in the UK. Ordered unheard, and any damage in transit would have cost me quite a bit. I take it you're in the US? I wouldn't worry about it.

SVS have great CS. I wouldn't be suprised they'll send a replacement FOC or perhaps a amp module/driver FOC if you don't wish to send the whole lot back.

I won't discuss the Earthquake.. I've seen many SVS v Earthquake sub comments- always seem to favour the SVS's (alot louder, deeper, cleaner)

The Earthquake is a tiny sealed sub. That is not always the best design IMO. Big is best.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Just a bit of clarification, the Earthquake is not a sealed subwoofer but rather a passive radiator design. Both companies make great subs and I'm sure you'll be pleased with either one.

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Parker:

What gave you the impression the 20-39PC+ is easy to bottom out? I owned one for over a year and pushed it quite hard on occasion in my 2000 ft3 room and it never bottomed out.

Sure, bottoming can and does happen with any conventional sub, but typically it is related to: 1) poor placement selection; 2) improper calibration or no calibration at all; 3) or simply not enough sub for your listening tastes and room size.

The first two can often be easily remedied; the third really needs to be addressed up front before the sub is purchased. Whenever people ask me what model SVS they should buy, some of my standard questions are:

1) how big is the room and where are the permanent openings
    2) where will the sub be placed in the room
    3) where are the key listening positions
    4) how "hot" is the sub calibrated compared to the surrround channels
    5) how loud (compared to Dolby Reference Level) do you typically listen to DVDs?

It's really amazing the disparity of answers I tend to get on #4 and #5. Some people literally run their sub 6-7 dB hot, and then push playback volume to -5 RL or even RL on occasion.

How many single 12" drivers (even the SVS dB12) do you know of that can handle that kind of punishment?

When you are dealing with high quality products like SVS, a bottomed/blown woofer is almost never a fault of poor design or build quality. Almost 100% of the time it can be traced to a mismatch between the user's wants/needs, and the inherent capabilities of the sub.

Savvy users realize right away they have a mismatch on their hands after the first or second instance of waffling or outright bottoming and return the product for an upgrade to a more powerful/suitable model. Other less experienced users ignore the signs and eventually cook the woofer.

If you answer the questions above, we can probably make a pretty educated guess as to whether the 20-39PC+ will be suitable for your particular listening environment and tastes.

Regards,

Ed

6. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

In addition to Ed's questions concerning where 2039 PC+ users have bottomed their subs, I wonder if this was caused due to mismatching the subsonic filter with the tune or bypassing the filter.

I can't ever recall reading where a PCi user has bottomed their sub. I wonder if this is because you get a fixed tune and no subsonic filter adjustments. There was a big thread a while back about how SW:AOTC was recorded hot and it was bottoming subs. IIRC, all the PCi owners said they played the movie at reference with no apparent problems.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

One 25-31CS+ can pressurize my 2880 cf HT but good with out bottoming. I wonder if this got started by a 16-46 Thread??

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Parker,

I own the sub you are considering, the MKIV12. I don't want to sound harsh to other owners of this sub who may read this particular post, but please buy the SVS.

Does the Earthquake, quake? Yeah, a bit, but it's more like a quiver then a quake. My room is 1500 CF and it does an ok job. I've experimented with it in so many different positions, calibrated many times in the past 2 years and hopefully in about 3-4 weeks, it will be history. I'll be happy it will be gone.

Honestly, this sub has been a very frustrating component in my system. It will work no doubt, but I truly believe on a cost basis/output, I'd rather see you purchase any SVS model or Hsu that fits your budget and room size.

As far as shipping the sub back to SVS, most of the components are pieces that you can replace yourself IF something goes wrong. However, IF something would go wrong, SVS has the best customer service in the business. They treat you like a king after reading so many posts on how they conduct their business model.

I cannot speak for the Hsu product so perhaps someone else can provide feedback on that particular company.

This is my experience and yours may differ, but if my worst enemy asked me which one to purchase, I'd recommend the SVS product.

Good luck,
    Charles