What's new

Earthquake in Sensurround! (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Universal have just issued EARTHQUAKE in Region 2 in anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1 and in DD 4.1 Sensurround. I think this must be the first DVD promoted as being in Sensurround. Sound quality is very good overall but the bass rumble hardly compares favorably to the theatrical experience. When I first saw the film in London it seemed as if the auditorium was about to collapse!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
You know, I'd probably buy Earthquake in Sensurround. Is it a good movie? Not really. But I still enjoy watching it every few years and if the DVD gave my sub a workout, that would be...cool. Maybe I could compensate for the lack of apparent bass by turning up the sub as long as it was on a separate track.

I saw it in a theater in Sensurround, and since then I've been in a couple of major earthquakes, and that bass kick does add verisimilitude to the experience.

Earthquake is hardly on my "must buy" list, but with Sensurround...yeah, I think I'd bite. The Goodtimes version is gawdawful.

Jan

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Midway - Collector's Edition R1 was the first DVD to have Sensurround listed in the spec grid: 1.1 mono.

wally

Second Unit
Miles Quade rocks! Or should I say "Quakes"

Victoria Principal as Rosa Amici might call for another form of Sensurround!

I'll have to look into this one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm not sure, but I believe Battlestar Galactica was the first DD 1.1 mono "sensurround" DVD released.
I have the (non sensurround) Goodtimes Earthquake DVD and its OK, but I would snap up a new SE version in a minute.:)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
"Earthquake" is the type of movie that I would really anticipate being re-done in the near future. People really seem to like those disaster movies. With top-notch effects and tons of bass-filled sound, it could be a easy money maker.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Universal should do a special edition of this one, with the restored audio tracks, anamorphic, and the scenes included in the TV version added as an extra. These consisted of both deleted scenes and footage shot specifically for the TV showing. This version still shows up in syndication in some markets.

Seeing EARTHQUAKE in Sensurround in 1974 as a 7 year old is something I have never forgotten.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I don't think we'll be seeing a collector's edition of Earthquake in the near future. The movie has aged terribly (not that it was All About Eve to start with) and now just looks ridiculous. I also doubt it would be re-made, unless it was done as camp. I also think the 1.1 track is the correct audio presentation, rather than 4.1, if you want to replicate the silly "Sensurround" gimmick when the film was released almost 30 years ago.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
EARTHQUAKE has been remade often! Well, not exactly, but similar themes....

THE GREAT LOS ANGELES EARTHQUAKE (NBC mini series)
EARTHQUAKE IN NEW YORK (TV movie)
AFTERSHOCK: EARTHQUAKE IN NEW YORK (CBS mini series)

Sensurround may have been a silly gimmick, but it was effective.

GregK

Screenwriter
..If memory serves me right, I believe "Rollarcoaster" (?) "Midway" and "Battlestar Galactica" have all been released in region 1 in the Dolby Digital 1.1 mode. Of these three, I've rented the "Battlestar Galactica" DVD. While LFE channel adds a nice kick, it is *nowhere* as deep nor as powerful as what I originally heard (and felt) in the theaters. My whole body shook! And it seems (this part I may be wrong on) that there was directional steering with certain sound effects in the theatrical Sensurround version I saw? I know there were different implementations and versions of Sensurround, but I don't have documents on the process. (Anyone? Anyone?..)

While on the subject of Sensurround, has anyone viewed the featurette on Sensurround on the Midway SE DVD?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Everyone is wrong ;) Rollercoaster was first. I remember purchasing it on a trip to Las Vegas in 1999.It does have the Sensurround LFE track, but it is only 1.1 so I guess it depends on your point of view. I own rollercoaster (actually a great movie!) The .1 effects are kinda wierd.... just a big rumble that actually distracts more than it enhances.
ROLLERCOASTER: October , 1998
BATTLESTAR: June, 1999
MIDWAY: October, 2000
MIDWAY CE : October, 2001

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
GregK,
The theatrical Sensurround generated 5-40 cycles at 110-120 decibels, causing plaster to fall from the Chinese Theater in Hollywood where it was test-driven (they put a net under the ceiling to catch the plaster for performances) and generating lots of complaints from theater-goers in theaters adjacent to Earthquake in malls.
So, unless your sub can go down to 5 cycles at 120 db (about the sound level of a jet taking off), no DVD is going to provide that theatrical experience! :)
For more info on Sensurround and Earthquake, visit this trivia site.
Jan

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I found this about the Rollercoaster DVD on Amazon.

The original theatrical soundtrack was produced in the Sensurround Special Effects System developed by MCA, RCA, and former Universal City Studios sound department head Waldon Watson. While the DVD has a monaural track with added "Sensurround" .1 low frequency effects, the original incorporated music into the Sensurround rumble along with sound effects. In any event, while the sound does truly rumble at brief moments, the soundtrack is undistinguished and compressed monaural.
As for Earthquake, it's a special effects reliant film who's special effects don't hold up.

I had never seen it and wanted to because I have been a fan of the ride and the model of the destroyed city at Universal Studios Florida. But there are just too many scenes that have been done better in Independence Day and Godzilla. The buildings being destoryed look really fake.

But what probally makes the film special is it's funky Sensurround, and I would expect Universal to put out a new region 1 DVD since they still operate the theme park attraction, so it's not like they've disowned the film.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
EARTHQUAKE has been remade often! Well, not exactly, but similar themes....
I think that was also the origial title for the Anna Nicole Smith show.

I've been a fan of all the Irwin Allen-style disaster movies, but this one is lower than Meteor for me. It would be a neat gimmick to create a loaded .1 channel, but it can't compare with almost any other disaster movie.

Still, I love it when a studio bestows a cult favorite like this with some extra attention. Kudos to Universal.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
I also think the 1.1 track is the correct audio presentation, rather than 4.1, if you want to replicate the silly "Sensurround" gimmick when the film was released almost 30 years ago.
While 1.1 would be the correct audio set up for all Sensurround films following EARTHQUAKE, the first Sensurround film was released in both Mag stereo (3 screen channels only with the Sensurround cues on the optical trackand the mag surround track left blank)and in optical mono (with Sensurround cues buried in the mix). While all other Sensurround films pulled the sub info from the track itself, Eartquake employed a rumble box triggered by filmtrack tones. (Many countries overseas even got to see Earthquake in 70mm 6-track mag!)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If Universal ever planned on doing a SE DVD of one of its disaster films, then "Airport", letterboxed edition from Goodtimes notwithstanding, is far more worthy of the honor. Unlike "Earthquake", "Airport" was arguably the first movie to launch the disaster craze and also won 11 Oscar nominations including Best Picture. That film deserves a commentary/documentary.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
If Universal ever planned on doing a SE DVD of one of its disaster films, then "Airport", letterboxed edition from Goodtimes notwithstanding, is far more worthy of the honor.
Here-Here!! (Or is it "Hear-Hear"? :) )
Whichever .... I agree, Eric!
An AIRPORT SE would be most welcome in my den! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks