Earthquake: Caution, watch for falling objects!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark C., May 14, 2002.

1. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I'm not sure where to post this, so I guess I'll try here.

We had a good-sized quake last night, 5.2 on the Richter. We live very close to the epicenter, and our house shook violently, but only for a brief time.

Apart from pictures and vases falling, we came out OK; just a lot of jangled nerves. Nevertheless, our son's high school graduation photo (framed, of course) tipped off the fireplace mantel and fell on one of my B&W CDM1SE's that I use for HT mains. Small nick, ouch!

My son's DVD rack, however, didn't fare too well. It tipped. He has a project now for the rest of the week: Putting those DVDs back in place and in alphbetical order.

I sure am glad I decided to put shot in my HT stands. I'm sure the added weight prevented a toppling speaker or two.

Everyone might want to check their HTs to see if there are heavy objects which could fall and damage expensive equipment. After all, earthquakes aren't a California exclusive anymore.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I was watching the Sharks game when it happend. It was a pretty good one, strongest I've felt since '89. I was not close to the epicenter, so no damage, but it definitely got the heart pounding. [​IMG]

3. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I was playing a record at the time on my turntable and felt my couch move up & down pretty good. I walked over to my audio rack and lifted the needle off the record and held onto the rack, it was moving quite a bit. The record did'nt even skip with all the movement. [​IMG]
    Lately I've been thinking about quakes for some reason. We really have'nt had a good one for about 12 years, let's hope it stays that way. [​IMG]

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer