What's new

Earthqauke Cinenova vs Bryston 9Bst (1 Viewer)

JohnDW

Agent
I'm interested in hearing from any Cinenova owners out there - someone who just bought a new 9bSST will sell there 9BST to me for about what I can get the Cinenova new for. Cinenova seems to have more power and comparable (if not better specs) - what are you thoughts on this amp / how does it compare with Bryston (I'll be using mostly for HT, driving M&K 150)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Both amps will drive the M&Ks fine, the Earthquake will have more headroom and has much more power.

And when I say much more I mean "A LOT" more 120wpc vs 300wpc is twice as much.

I know a guy with Klipsch, who went CineNova from Parasound and even though you can drive those things well with 50 wpc, he said the difference in "actual sound" (as in quality sound) is remarkable. He is on this list. He'll probably add a comment or two.

The Bryston is also very low in distortion (like the Earthquake) and has a longer warrantee (20 yrs I think to Earthquakes 10 years), but how long will you keep it?

Be careful buying Earthquake online as the warrantees will not be honored if it is advertised online for lower than the list price.

I would go Earthquake (Oops, I am going Earthquake, as mine is soon to be ordered).

John

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
I have to second everything that John Casler said. I've been using a Cinenova Grande for almost 2 years now, great amp! Now what I'm using as a preamp isn't the best, it's a Sony STR-DA333ES receiver so I know I'm not getting all out the Cinenova's value out of it. I use B&W Matrix 805's for my front 3 channels and some NHT's for my surrounds. I wish I could say that the change from the Sony amp section to the Cinenova was huge but it hasn't been, the thing I noticed was sound details were much more evident. However I don't fault the Cinenova at all, I'm sure I'm simply seeing the mediocrity of the Sony.

I bought mine from an authorized dealer in San Rafael and was still able to find a pretty decent deal, I paid $2000.00 USD plus CA sales tax being a resident of Taxifornia.

Cheers,
Roger Kaufmann
frequent lurker, infrequent poster.

Rick Castro

Auditioning
Hey John,
I just got your email and responded, sorry for the delay. If you have anymore questions just let me know. John Casler is the man I was telling you about...(Hey John...) Earthquake,Earthquake,Earthquake...

Dave N.

Stunt Coordinator
Both amps will drive the M&Ks fine, the Earthquake will have more headroom and has much more power.

And when I say much more I mean "A LOT" more 120wpc vs 300wpc is twice as much.

While the rated power is 2x higher the sound level produced is based on a log. curve. I am a believer in high power amps but beware of assumptions based on wattage ratings alone.

Dave

JohnDW

Agent
Does the earthquake run hot ?
Does it have a standby mode so I can keep on all the time ? (Iv heard there is often a big thump when turned on due to power draw and loud hissing when turned off (due to capacitor charge/dischage ?)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I went from a Parasound 2205a to the Grande a couple months ago and it was a very woth while upgrade. After listening to Blade II at reference level on a 7.1 Von Schweikert Audio system the amp was warm to the touch but not hot! This is a very fine amp!
Steve

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Does the earthquake run hot ?
Heat generated depends much on how much power you are running into what kind of load. Loud into 4 ohms will get hotter.
That said, the CineNova seems to have very good heat dissipation.
Does it have a standby mode so I can keep on all the time ? (Iv heard there is often a big thump when turned on due to power draw and loud hissing when turned off (due to capacitor charge/dischage ?)
It does not have a "standby" mode and is subject to the turn on/off noises, as are many bigger power amps. Many leave theirs on and find no ill effects and even suggest that it sounds much better when warmed up.
Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks