Earthlink DSL Services?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Feb 12, 2005.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hey all,

We're thinking of hosting our web server with Earlthink DSL services and their 3.5mbps download untill we expand enough to afford a T1 connection. Has anyone used this service and how reliable is the connection compared to Optimum Onlnine?

I just found out that OO dosn't allow web servers on their buisness class, so we need an alternative.

Thanks

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would look into hosting services for now if I were you. The download speed is pretty much irrelevent for a web server. The upload speed is all that matters. The upload for most DSL lines is capped at 384Kbps. I would use a hosting service until you can afford T1 or look into the costs of a partial T1.

3. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I agree or you might even consider leaving your webserver on a hosting service after the T-1. It will be cheaper in the long run. Even if you only spend a couple hours a month keeping the server maintained and secure, the host will pay for itself by having hosting service do it. Not to mention they will haver allot more redundancy such as deicated UPS, generators, and multiple connections to the internet. All stuff that will keep the server running and are way too expenisve for most companies.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

It also moves the uptime liability to an outside source instead of you.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Verizon offers a T1 line, and Earthlink says it has services with an equal upload download time that I'm going to ask about, so we'll see what both companies have to offer.

However, I just read an article in the Record stating that Verizon is rolling out Fiber Optic Internet and Cable TV. For those in other states that have them, what are they charging for this service(Internet only?) Also, for those in NJ, anyone have this service available to them yet?

Thanks

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Search the forum for FIOS. That's the name of the new Verizon service. Everything I've heard about it has been great. Unfortunately it's in a very limited area right now. The prices are in line with (or cheaper than) current cable and DSL services.

It sounds like you're running a business off of this thing. If so, what type of business is it? If you're website is going to be heavy with pictures of items I still think you shoud consider a hosting service. Many of the services are cheaper than DSL per month. If you expand too much, even a T1 won't be enough (T1 is only 1.5 Mbps symmetrical).

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Right now, we only host 4 sites, hopefully sooon to be 6, that arn't really data intensive, so this should suit our needs just fine for now. The biggest site, mine, is about 2GB's in size.

And after I posted that note, I did a little research on FIOS. Seems our neighborhood is already wired, as I'm looking at the connection outside our window right now. We just have to wait for them to turn the service on, wich hopefully won't be to loong of a time.