Earth to Adire Audio -- anyone out there? Anyone listening?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DarrenAlan, Sep 8, 2003.

1. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

After much research and internal debate, I decided on an Adire Rava subwoofer and excitedly placed my order on August 28. Except for an automated return e-mail confirming my order, I don't hear back for an entire week -- no word on potential shipment dates, no UPS tracking #s, nuttin'. So I send an e-mail last Thursday politely asking when I might expect some movement on my order. Now it's September 8 and I still haven't heard anything.

Has Adire Audio's once-respected service really slipped this far?

Earth to Dan Wiggins, anyone listening???

2. Rick-S

Rick-S Agent

Has the charge posted yet on your credit card account? If not, I would cancel the order and look somewhere else.

Great customer service and quality products are extremely important especially when one is dealing with online companies.

Do they not have a phone # listed?

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I would try calling them. This last Blaster worm has seem to mess up some email systems. Also, as much as we depend on email nowadays, it is still not a guaranteed medium. Nothing beats a phone call.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Give them a call to check on your status. I know Dan is out of town at CEDIA and the rest of the guys have been busy getting some backordered products out but I'd give them a call to make sure they are aware of your order and to check its status.

5. DarrenAlan

Thanks all. Wasn't aware of CEDIA; Danny Ritchie of GR Research also supplied the same info via the Audio Asylum forum.

Will give a call when I can find time.

6. Chris.Brunhaver

Hi Alan,

Your order shipped out today (9/8). We typically build up Ravas as they are ordered, so typically there is a few day wait. With the short week last week and a couple people gone, it took a bit longer. However, you are not charged until your order ships.

In the future, it would be more effective to give us a call or email if you have a question about your order rather then posting a message directed to us on an online forum. We do read and participate in a number of online forums, but it is definitely not the best method to get a timely response from us.

Thanks,

Chris Brunhaver
    Adire Audio

7. Rick-S

Rick-S Agent

Chris,

According to his original message, he did email Adire on Thursday, September 4th. Today is Monday, September 8th.
    I agree he should have called but if he had not posted a message today how long would he have had to wait in order to get a response from his September 4th email?

8. DarrenAlan

Yes, my order was 8/28, which is 11 days ago; my follow-up e-mail was sent last Thursday. No proactive communication in either case.

Hey, Chris, sorry if I seem impatient; I order many, many things online and often get very speedy order confirmation and shipping notices even with $10-20-30 orders from online chop shops. Plus my buzzing Paradigm has been driving me and my wife batty!

Finally, I work in an open office environment for a pretty tight-*ss company so these kind of phone calls during business hours are frowned upon.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and I look forward to receiving my sub! Will post what I am sure will be glowing feedback once it's received and dailed in.

--Darren

9. Rick-S

Rick-S Agent

Hang in there Darren!

Its customer service that draws me to online companies vs B&M. From what I understand, SVS wrote the book on excellent customer service.
    Rick

10. DarrenAlan

Yeah, if I'd had another $200 or so it would be a 25-31PCi on its way. Room is a tot playroom/dedicated home theater so the water-heater-in-a-sock appearance wouldn't have mattered.

I'd heard good things about Adire also and understand when things get hectic with trade shows etc. And I'm sure the sub will be worth the wait.

11. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    You are going to be really happy with your Rava sub. I talked a friend into buying one, and it is really a nice sub. You will not be disappointed! It may not have the output of my SVS, but is sure is prettier than my 16/46. I know you are really going to like it.

Just let us know,

Jeff Aguilar

12. DarrenAlan

Thanks Jeff! I'm really looking for quality over quantity, and as long as I get useful in-room output to 25 Hz or so, I'll be as happy as you predict.

13. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

14. DarrenAlan

Thanks Wayne. As stated before, I did e-mail, to no avail. But all's well that ends well and my sub is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Yes, my wife and I are in the process of getting a 2nd cell phone (we've been "sharing" one but I like her to have it for safety reasons). That way I can take a walk in the beautiful San Diego sunshine and make such calls.

15. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    Make sure you let us know your impressions of the sub!

Jeff

16. Ilia

Ilia Extra

I ordered mine two days ago and already have a tracking number - shipped yesterday. No bad, not bad. Can't wait to listen to it. Last time I was really disappointed getting a Sunfire Sr.Junior - did not feel anything, although musically it was not bad. I guess 20x15 room needs a bigger beast. Hopefully RAVA will meet my expectations.[​IMG]

17. DarrenAlan

First impressions:

First of all, I want to thank Adire Audio for responding quickly once they'd been notified of my delay. The sub shipped 9/8 and I picked it up from the UPS counter last night (they tried to deliver to my house in the daytime but needed an adult signature).

The sub was double-boxed and extremely well packed. This thing is a brute! It is big and it is heavy. If you're considering one, be sure you're ready for a 18" cubed box in your listening room. My wife was none too happy but she'll get over it. [ACTUALLY, THE SUB IS FOR SALE FOR JUST THIS REASON. BUT IF IT DOESN'T SELL, AND I'M PRAYING IT WON'T, SHE *WILL* HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT.] The construction quality is very good and I see no reason why this product won't provide decades of dependable service. The red oak finish is very nice, almost furniture grade.

Since I wasn't able to pick it up until close to my 3-year-old daughter's bedtime, I was only able to give it a cursory listen. I turned off my main speakers and let some dance music via digital cable radio play through the sub for about an hour. My wife said the sub playing alone sounded like when you live in an apartment or condo and the neighbors are having a loud party.

Once everyone else went to bed, I switched to some jazz and was very impressed with the quality of upright bass. With just rudimentary adjustments to phase and volume, the sub blended quite well with my KEF Q15 mains and added just the right amount of weight, depth and solidity to the bottom end. (I will do a more in-depth integration this weekend, as well as running a few more bass-heavy tracks to loosen up the Shiva driver.)

My initial placement (near the lefthand corner of the 23x17 horizontal room) left little bass at my usual listening position. Fortunately, a move to a less obtrusive place not only improved the bass greatly at the listening position, but made my S.O. happier as well. She was just relieved the buzzing from my PDR-10 was gone!

More impressions:

Got a chance to run in the sub a little more yesterday before wife & child arrived home.

-Police, "Synchronicity," tracks 9 & 10
    -Strauss, "Thus Spake Zarathrustra," opening (otherwise known as "2001: A Space Odyssey" theme
    -Holly Cole, "Train Song"
    -U2, "Joshua Tree"
    -Shaggy, self-titled, Track 1
    -DTS opening sequence from "Chicken Run"
    -Sarah McLachlan, "Surfacing," Track 2 "I Love You"

Ran the music with the "A" speaker button depressed so only the sub received signal, then would push the button in to see how the whole musical spectrum sounded. Got the Shiva driver to bottom out once, at a very high SPL and volume setting, to the DTS opening sequence.

After about 45 minutes, I just started listening to music. Exactly the "acoustic suspension" sound many say they prefer -- tight, fast, yet deep and rock-solid bass. So much so that I had to put some sorbothane pads I'd purchased for another use under each corner of the sub to isolate it from my suspended wood floor. The windows rattled, pictures shook, even the plastic case of my Panny 47WX49 RPTV was vibrating! Yikes!

For $399, the looks, finish, build quality and sound of this unit is really very impressive. And while it might not pump out the total SPLs of a ported unit, its output is plenty enough to set things in motion.

Overall, I am very pleased so far.