What's new

"Earrings of Madame De..." coming from Criterion (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
That's clearly what they're indicating from their latest newsletter:

I'm very glad they'll be releasing it. I'd been expecting this since I saw it in a theater last year on a Janus Films re-release.

The hint also seems to indicate that they'll be releasing other Max Ophuls movies as well. I'd love for Madame De... to have its own regular Criterion release, so maybe that'll happen, plus an Eclipse set of other Ophuls? His four late '40s Hollywood films all played at museum screenings in Washington DC very recently, so that would make for a great "Ophuls in Hollywood" Eclipse set: The Exile, Letter From An Unknown Woman, Caught, and The Reckless Moment.

That last bit is really just speculation, since I don't know if Criterion has the rights to any of those. Madame De... is no surprise as a Criterion release because it was distributed in theaters by Janus.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Heaven. And the forever-working Danielle Darrieux is still available for commentary and documentaries, bless her.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Sadly, Letter From An Unknown Woman is an Artisan/Lionsgate property, and they have been dragging their feet forever in releasing it. A release was "officially" announced three or four years ago, and then simply vanished into the ether. So I'm guessing it's probably a no-go for a Criterion box set.

leomichel

Auditioning
Real Name
Lionel Michaux

I wouldn't hold my breath for it: intensely private and still somewhat shy after a 77-year career, Darrieux, sadly, has always refused to be interviewed for the DVD edition of her great past movies, though she appears in the bonus section of more recent ones, such as 8 Women and Persepolis .

"Forever-working", I hope so: she was to be on the stage here in Paris this very month of May, in a new french production of "On Golden Pond" (and had already been promoting it on TV), but severely broke her leg in the last days of rehearsal (I was looking forward to seeing the play and her). At 91, I hope it's not too bad.

Both Le Plaisir and Madame de have been released in very good DVD editions here in region 2. But La ronde and Lola Montes still have to surface in worthy editions.

And since I'm talking of Darrieux, I'd like to see Warner issue a DVD of her only MGM Technicolor musical, Rich, Young and Pretty, where she somewhat incongruously shares the screen with Jane Powell and Vic Damone. Not a memorable part, certainly, but glorious technicolor does something for her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks