What's new

Early'06 Fox Cinema Classics Collection & Marquee Musicals (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

These look beautiful...kudos to Fox for using the original poster art. Can't wait to see the covers they use for the Chan/Moto films. Original Chan one sheets are gorgeous and are still highly coveted among collectors.

The Chans aside, Fox's new line and the titles that have been announced are very good news. I hope consumers support these releases.

Steve

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I wonder if this is the end of the STUDIO CLASSICS series, and it is being replaced by CINEMA CLASSICS. The artwork for "PINKY" looks nothing like what is in the STUDIO CLASSICS set from "ORCHESTRA WIVES". This shows it as a STUDIO CLASSICS with a totally different layout ??
WONDER IF IT WILL BE STUDIO OR CINEMA ?????????

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Another great news.As a special feauture on the Pin Up Girl dvd comes the trailer for The Gang's All Here. So this is certainly a sign that this other movie is on its way to be finally released.
It seems like 2006 will be an excellent year for Fox classic movie fans.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see Fox, my favorite film studio, doing more oldies. But guys, give us what we want.
Daddy Long legs is being released in Dolby 2.0 - NO 4.0 - we have complained about this before - we want the 4.0

Both Pin Up girl and Weekend in Havana are being released in that KA KA fox fake stereo only - NO original mono this time. No thank you.

Also, Fox has FILMED musical outtake numbers from both Pin Up Girl and Weekend in Havana, but we are not getting them. Why not? There is plenty of room for it on these discs.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Joe

I totally agree. Quite a few of the original video releases contained some terrific outtakes. I sure hope they reconsider with future releases.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
Weekend In Havana and Pin-Up Girl only in fake stereo? After 8 years of dvd this should be a no-no! They are including mono on Stormy Weather, so what happened?!

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
No one has yet commented on the higher price of this new series line, Fox Cinema Classics. From what I've been able to determine, the list price of each will be $20, as opposed to the $15 list prices for both the Fox Studio Classics and the Fox Film Noirs.

With that in mind, I'm a bit puzzled that there don't seem to be any features listed at all so far. No commentaries, nothing. At least on the Amazon and Barnes & Noble websites. Is this really how the new line is going to be? If so, how could Fox possibly justify a higher price than on the older series?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

They don't have to justify it because the market place will determine if the price is correct or not due to supply and demand. Example being, Columbia dvds in which the number of units sold were considerably less than MGM which sold their product at a lower price point. Warner is selling their 1-disc dvds of classic films in January at about the same price which is $19.97 versus $19.99 for the Fox dvds.

Crawdaddy

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator

That's absolutely true. And Fox probably would not feel they had to justify anything to me anyway. I'm nobody. Just a very loyal customer who has happily purchased all 37 Studio Classics and all 9 of the Film Noirs so far. I've even purchased the occasional clunker, like Return To Peyton Place, just to keep the series complete.

However, price is now and has always been an important factor in determining which DVD's I buy. There are always far more of them available than I can afford, so I've had to draw some lines that are determined by what extra features are included as well as the price.

I happily buy single discs with $15 list prices if they contain significant extras. Like the Studio Classics & Film Noirs. I also buy many of the $27 list price 2-discs offered by Warners, as well as many of their box sets. I don't buy any $20 single disc DVD's at all, regardless of features. Not from Warners or anyone else. I won't go over $10 list for a DVD without any extras.

And you're right, I have comparatively few Columbia DVD's. They have quite a few titles by Frank Capra and others that I'd really love to have, but they're just too expensive. And don't even get me started on Columbia's policy of reissuing some older more modern titles (Starman, The Bear, etc) in "fool screen" only. I was very sorry to see Sony be the company that ended up purchasing MGM.

So, at $20 a pop in their new series, it appears that Fox will be losing a heretofore loyal customer. Am I missing out on some great films with this policy? Of course I am. I know this. But I really don't think about that much, because there are plenty of other good ones that do qualify. More than enough to use up my budget and my viewing time.

On a different topic for just a minute if I may, since I'm conversing with one of the HTF bosses. Why do I no longer receive e-mail notification when threads that I have posted in receive new posts? I'm still a registered user, and the box is still checked. This used to work fine, but it hasn't for a few weeks now. I miss it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Just like you, Fox has made a business decision that effects their bottom line in which they hope to maximize their profit margin. Furthermore, most loyal customers are so, up to a certain point which in your case for this particular matter is not buying any 1-disc dvds above $10.00

Anyhow, as far as your technical problem, I have emailed Parker your prior post about it.

Crawdaddy

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dave:

Did anything change on your end? You should still be getting the emails for threads that you have subscribed to.

I do know that sometimes members with AOL accounts will have AOL suddenly start blocking emails from us. I would email customer service at AOL and ask them if they are blocking emails from us as SPAM. They aren't supposed to be anymore (they did this all the time in the past and we supposidly got this cleared up with them) but they might have started doing this again.

Parker

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
As for the higher prices thing above..being a collector of mostly older classic films I would pay the higher price if it ment getting titles that might not come out otherwise. I mean it's not like stuff that just came out in the theater, these older titles need to be restored/cleaned up somewhat to be released. I would rather pay more then see them sit in a vault forever.
As for features, I hate to see people get so wrapped up in that to decide if they buy a title or not..what happened to the movie itself? Don't get me wrong I love them, but hey thet get watched once then that's it..the movie itself I re-watch. If you are a true fan of classic film you buy for the love of the movies not extras.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I agree because I have too many dvds to watch to worry about bonus material, but there are those that want their extras. Anyhow, if you look at the dvds below that are part of the Fox Cinema Classics Collection coming out in January, the links do list an audio commentary and a featurette, so there shouldn't be any complaints, unless it's just because they raised their prices.

Island in the Sun

Stormy Weather

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
STORMY WEATHER also has a commentary and a featurette on Bill Robinson. PINKY is the most historically significant of the three films earning Oscar nominations for Jeanne Crain and the Ethels Barrymore and Waters. I believe that I read earlier that it had a commentary also. Each dvd is going for $13.64 at DVDEmpire.com

ted:r

Second Unit
I could not more emphatically agree with MichaelScott's comment. The bottom line is the movie itself. Yes I love extras and hope they will keep on putting them on (and hope I have the time to watch them). But if the choice is between no DVD at all of a film I cherish vs. a bare bones DVD, then I will go with the latter everytime.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Price is only a factor if I have marginal interest in a title. If I really want a movie bad enough, I'll pay whatever they ask, even if it's a whopping $29.99! Other titles become purchases when I see them on sale or cut out/overstock bins. I recently paid $3 each for sealed copies of Other People's Money, Poltergeist, $4 for Liebestraum, $6 for The Lawman and Lady In White and $28 for the box set of all three North And South mini series, DVDs I would not have paid full price for.

For me, Island In The Sun is a must have and I'd pay $39.99 if that's what Fox charged! But I understand those who are ruled by price. One of my best friends would rather buy three $10 DVDs for $30 then spend $30 for one Criterion DVD.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
Best Picture Oscar winners like Out Of Africa, Shakespere In Love, and A Beutiful Mind are $10 at Best Buy. Some films I get cheap like those and others [Art Of Buster Keaton Box from Kino for my Birthday in August for about $130+] I will pay out the nose for. I'm not getting the Garbo set because all I love her in is Grand Hotel. I got it for $15. :D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From www.dvdtimes.co.uk :

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of 3 titles for 21st February 2006 as part of their new “Marquee Musicals” range. Priced at $19.98 SRP each are…

Daddy Long Legs - Fred Astaire becomes both the benefactor and suitor of Leslie Caron in this charming story of a playboy who falls under the spell of a beautiful French orphan. While traveling through France, Jervis Pendleton lll (Astaire) anonymously sponsors an 18-year-old girl named Julie (Caron), whom he sends to college in America. Two years later they finally meet face to face and start to fall in love. But complications arise and their happiness is threatened when Jervis embarks on a noble yet misguided attempt to do "the right thing" about their age difference. Featuring imaginative production numbers and a Johnny Mercer score that includes the 1955 Oscar® -nominated hit for Best Song "Something's Gotta Give", Daddy Long Legs is a song-filled blend of dance and fantasy for romantics of all ages.

Features include:
2.55:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English Stereo
English, French & Spanish Mono
English & Spanish subtitles
Commentary by Film Historian Ken Barnes and Ava Astaire McKenzie
Movietone News with Optional commentary by Film Historian Ken Barnes and Ava Astaire McKenzie
Daddy Longlegs London Premiere
Photo Gallery
Original Theatrical Trailer

Pin-Up Girl - Betty Grable in the role that she made famous throughout World War II. A classic musical romance with Martha Raye and Joe E. Brown.

Features include:
1.33:1 Full Frame
English, French & Spanish Stereo
Theatrical Trailer
The Gang's All Here Trailer

Weekend in Havana - A salesgirl (Alice Faye) threatens to cause trouble when cruise ship runs aground and vacation is ruined. As compensation, she soon gets a free first class Havana holiday with the ship owner's future son-in-law (John Payne) as wall as some unexpected attention from a conniving gambler (Cesar Romero) and his girlfriend (Carmen Miranda).

Features include:
English, French & Spanish Stereo
Audio commentary
Theatrical Trailer
Marquee Musicals: Daddy Longlegs Trailer, & Pin-Up Girl Trailer

Artwork here. Plus....

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of 3 titles for 10th January 2006 as part of their new “Cinema Classics Collection” range. Priced at $19.98 SRP each are...

Island in the Sun - Four different love affairs simultaneously wreak havoc in the lives of the inhabitants of a tropical paradise. A wealthy plantation owner plots murder when he suspects his wife of having an adulterous relationship. At the same time, his sister-in-law is drawn to his enemy, a dedicated black labor leader, and a governor's aide is torn over his scandalous affair with a native woman. Darling and exquisitely filmed on location, this rich romantic story with it's focus on race, passion and politics, was one of the most talked about films of its day.

Features include:
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English Dolby Surround
French & Spanish Mono
Audio Commentary
Dorthy Dandridge: Little Girl Lost
Theatrical Trailer
Fox Flix: South Pacific & Carmen Jones

Pinky - Pinky (Jeanne Crain), a black woman who works as a nurse in Boston, finds she is able to "pass for white." Afraid her true heritage will be discovered, she leaves her white fiancé (William Lundigan) and returns home to Mississippi. There, she helps her ailing grandmother (Ethel Waters) by caring for her employer (Ethel Barrymore), an imperious plantation owner. When she names Pinky heiress to her estate, the community rises in resentment, triggering a sensational court trial.

Subject of landmark Supreme Court case in film censorship, this story about a mulatto woman's rights against prejudice, became itself, a battle for civil rights.

Features include:
English Stereo
English, French & Spanish Mono
English & Spanish Mono

Stormy Weather - Lena Horne plays a rising club singer in this jazzy musical. Cab Calloway, Fats Waller and Dooley Wilson co-star.

Features include:
English Mono & Stereo
Commentary by Dr. Todd Boyd
Fox Flix: Daddy Long Legs & Call Me Madam

Artwork here. The end for the 'Studio Classics' range, in favour of higher priced ranges?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks