Early version of Laser Disk Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andrew Pezzo, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I am trying to get some info on an old type of video equipment that played movies that were on black disks the size of a full sized record or laser disk. These disks were contained in plastic sleeves that had the typical movie artwork on the front and back just like any DVD or VHS.

To play movies you would insert the plastic sleeve into the player, the machine latched onto some clips and basically held onto the middle insert while you pull out the sleeve out leaving the disk in the player. Very similar to taking a dollar bill from you wallet, if you catch my meaning. Halfway through the movie you would have to flip the disk over.

I think it was an RCA. They never caught on and I don't know anyone who has seen or heard of these. I think they were available for a short time in the early 80's, a friend of my mothers thought they were going to be the next big thing back then and bought lots of them and movies.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen/heard of these. Its NOT a laser disk player, I know that for sure. I have a copy of the original Star Wars on this format and want to see about acquiring one, or at least talk to someone that has one. Please someone, I cant be the only that knows about these players.

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

All you ever wanted to know about the CED....

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Excellent, thank you.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I had a stereo player in college, I think I paid $79. Considering I paid $500 for my cd player and almost as much for my vcr, they were a great value. The discs rented for a $1 (compared to $5 to $7 for a vhs tape) and sold for under $20
    Quality was better than vhs for video and had stereo unlike vcrs at the time.

5. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Just wanted to let you guys know I was able to get one from the guy I mentioned above (who bought a bunch of them thinking they were going to be next big thing). His son does work on my car and when I saw him this weekend I mentioned I was looking for a player and he said I could have one. Its literally brand new, the box has never been opened. He even said when I come back to get the work finished on my car I can have my pick from any of the 2000+ movies he has, sweet.

So if you guys are interested in one I have access to "brand new" ones and tons of movies.