1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

early thoughts on my new Denon-3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Stuckey, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I am a huge SW fan and so much so that I begged my wife to let me upgrade to 7.1 just so I could get the full treatment for TPM next week.I went 60 miles to my nearist dealer. I took my like new ( still had box and all the stuff it came with,) Denon 2800 and hoped for a good trade in deal.
    So I walked in and ask for the Denon 2802 ( 6.1- SPR $799.00) and he said they were on order, BUT If i wanted a Denon 3802 (7.1 SPR $1199.00) I could get a good deal. When I said I had my old reciever with me he took a look at it and said If I took the 3802 he would give me $400.00 for it.Which made the 3802 to come out to $899.00. I thought it was a good deal.So of course I grab it up.
    Got it home,Man was it heavy! The remote is slightly hard to learn( and yes I read the book ...many times.)But I'm slowly figuring it out.I put in T2 DTS EX and it sounded very good.Then I put in my Gladiator disk and ...NOOOOOO.. the dang disk is messed up and wont play on none of my 3 dvd players.Dont know whats going on there. So With famaly here for the weekend i subdude myself to only playing the DPL II with my DSS sat. DPL II is pretty neat.Slightly better with the sat then 5 or 7 channel sterio.Will test SW,ESB,ROTJ on VHS this coming weekend.Overall my early thoughts are good to great.But for me ,Iv never had a sterio that was 110 watts before or anything close to it, so I guess thats cool too.
    If you have the 3802, What do you think of it????
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    RCA 36 INCH TV
    DENON avr-3802
    Panasonic DVD-rv80
    Fronts[​IMG]SB Century 1000i
    Center[​IMG]SB century 200i
    Rear[​IMG]SB Alpha Into LR
    MTX power sub
    cable/speaker wire:Kimber Kable & Illuminations V-21
    YAHOO messenger: billsfan71

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Well I have the 3801, which of course is very similar, and love it. Wait till you play Gladiator on that thing, you'll really be in heaven. I rarely test out the limits of mine. My wife freaks when I get above -15 on the volume.
    Any reason you didn't buy over the internet where they go for under $800?
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Gladiator DTS-ES discreet is awesome on the 3802. I can clearly hear swords hacking away behind me, arrows whizzing from my side to my rear. Just great...just freaking great. Its like watching a new movie.
    Of course there will be detractors of discreet but hey..its a free country where everyone has an opinion!
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

4. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Eric,
    Do you use your receiver to listen to music in 5 channel stereo mode? If so, how does the 3802 compare to the 2800?

5. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Marvin,
    The 3802 is much better for music , IMO.

6. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Eric
    I dont know if you like Sheryl Crowe, but you can get "The Globe Sessions" CD in DTS-ES.
    Oh man does it sound good!!!
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

7. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

quote: If you have the 3802, What do you think of it????[/quote]
    I absolutely love my 3802. Would you believe that I actually bought it without having heard one note from it...well, OK, I did audition a 3801, but that was last Christmas! On days in which I had nothing to do I actually found myself throwing any random DVD from my collection into my DVD player (Panasonic DVD-RP91) and watching certain surround heavy scenes in 7.1 glory. Now, do I need a life or what? [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Arthur Legardo on October 07, 2001 at 09:28 PM]

8. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Unlike majority of people, I still prefer listening to music in 5 channel stereo mode instead of DPL2 nor Neo6. It just sound sweeter to me, although I'm far from audiophile. Today, I watched Mummy Return with volume level -22. I felt dizzy after watching it. I don't know how people watch loud movies on 3802 with volume higher than -20 without damaging their ears. [​IMG]

9. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I too have a 3802 and I absolutely love it. IMO, I don't think there is a better receiver for the price. (Except the 3801. I owned it and did an even trade with my local dealer for the 3802 'cause I just had to have that DPLII and beefed up circuitry!)
    For all you 3801 owners, I have compared the Matrix surround mode to the DPLII surround mode, and the Matrix mode actually keeps up! I always used the Matrix mode on the 3801, and I always liked it. I now use the DPLII mode (for the discrete surround), but that Matrix mode aint too shabby! So if you were wondering if you were missing anything, I would say not much.
    The 3802 is simply a great sounding receiver for the price. It has every format, more inputs than I will ever need, and the great Denon reputation standing behind it. I have it paired with some Klipsch Reference Series, and saying it can get loud is an understatement!
    Count me as another happy and satisfied owner.
    Bryan

10. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Marvin....Listening to 7 channels is really cool and I find myself listening to music with that most of the time..if not always. Although quite "exagerrated" as to the sound stage, I like being in the sweet spot and hear a whole lot of stuff coming from everywhere. Its bit "confusing" though when u move closer to the surround backs, the vocals get centered there. Don't know how to express it more since I'm no audiophile but 7 channels expand the music. I must also say that I don't have much DTS CDs..only that free one with DTS Demo #3 I think with Seal. Now, having DTS on a CD makes quite a difference.
    Henry....that sounds good. I'll be collecting DTS CDs and and ES could be fun.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

11. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Is the 3802 capable of 7.1 or just 6.1? I have heard different stories. Also, is the 4802 "worth" the additional expense-what features does it have, that the 3802 does not?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]May God Guide and Guard the USA!
    [Edited last by Brad Newton on October 08, 2001 at 04:06 PM]

12. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

It is 7.1
    ------------------
    RCA 36 INCH TV
    DENON avr-3802
    Panasonic DVD-rv80
    Fronts[​IMG]SB Century 1000i
    Center[​IMG]SB century 200i