Early Review: Cirque De Soleil: Journey of Man

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronJB, Oct 26, 2001.

1. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

"Journey Of Man" was one of the more popular IMAX films at large-format theaters this year. Personally, I also thought it was one of the worst. New-agey to a cringe-inducing level and boasting clown-sidekick characters about as irritating as Jar-Jar from Episode 1, the attempt at trying to make a story (boy quickly grows up to a man in 36 minutes flat) out of a picture that should have just focused on the performances often made the film sleep-inducing rather than awe-inspiring.
    Yet, for those who enjoyed the picture, Columbia/Tristar have offered a nice, if somewhat overpriced DVD.
    The film is presented in 1.33:1 full-frame and looks exceptional. Colors are often breathtakingly bold and vibrant, while sharpness and detail are exceptional. Aside from a few little specks, I saw nothing in the way of flaws.
    The film is presented in Dolby Digital 5.1. While certainly not one of the most agressive-sounding IMAX soundtracks I've ever heard, surrounds occasionally come into play for the music or ambient sounds.
    Unfortunately, there's almost nothing in the way of extras: two trailers for other "Cirque" releases - that's it.
    The DVD is priced at $24.98 retail, which seems a little much for a 36-minute feature on a nearly feature-less disc. For those who are interested, the disc might be worth renting, but I wouldn't recommend a purchase.
    Aaron
    - who's still wishing that someone would announce "All Access: Backstage" IMAX for DVD.

2. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Have this one on order...but didn't see it in the IMAX.
    Aaron, have you seen any of Cirque's other productions? If so, do you like them (and how does this compare with them)?
    Personally, I can't get enough of these people...I don't think this played locally, or I would have seen it; but I did attend the live "Dralion" when it was in the Twin Cities.
    Cheers

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I just saw this in 3-D at an IMAX theatre; I don't suppose the DVD is in 3-D? Not a great film anyway.

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Actually, although I've never seen Cirque live, I have seen another production or two on DVD and was quite impressed. "Journey Of Man" could and should have been simply a straight-forward documentary of one of their live shows. Instead, they had to do a very new-agey story about a child growing up, guided by two irritating clowns. Every so often, a performance by Cirque members start up. The story of the child growing up seemed ultimately meaningless and especially pointless given the fact that it's only 36 minutes.
    Ian McKellen is a wonderful actor with a voice that's perfection for narrating something like this, yet he's stuck with the most incredibly hokey new-age dialogue. ("We're all given three keys...how our live goes depends on what door we decide to open." - stuff like that)
    It's not unwatchable, but it's really a missed opportunity.
    It's not in 3-D on the DVD, though.
    [Edited last by AaronJB on October 26, 2001 at 05:22 PM]

5. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

"Dralion" and "Quidam" are superb DVDs. Each is well produced and worthy of repeated viewings. The latest batch looks to be second-tier material--either pretty dated or disappointly short (39 minutes?!).

6. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Sure would like to see Mystere make it to DVD...save me more trips to Las Vegas...

7. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Bring on Alegria already!
    (Not that psuedo-Cirque travesty with Frank Langella.)