What's new

Early promo pics for the rather cool-looking Van Helsing flick! (1 Viewer)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the first two Mummy movies (moreso the first one), but stayed away from Scorpion King. That being said, I would like to see this done as a straight up horror, action flick rather than having the humor of the Mummy films.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I agree, if this was done as a straight horror flick or in the same vein of the first Mummy, it could be great.

DanR

Supporting Actor
The first Mummy movie by Sommers has an awesome score by Jerry Goldsmith. I love that one, it's so much good fun. The movie was pretty good too, as long as you are not expecting a straight horror movie. I also have a soft spot for Rachel Weisz. :b

Regards,
Dan

JohnE

Supporting Actor
This sounds like a lot of fun to me. A lot of fun. I thought the first Mummy was a blast and enjoyed the the sequel well enough the first time I watched it, though I haven't seen it since. I'll cross my fingers.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Really, the biggest problem with The Mummy Returns was the fact that it relied too much on duplicating sequences from the first film - flying from sand with face, flying from water with face: its still the same gag. Also, the film was really hurt by horrible CGI for the Scorpion King at the end, when they would have been far better off just letting The Rock play the character instead.

I think Mummy Returns could have been good if they had understood what worked about the first film, rather than just trying to copy it.

Scorpion King, don't get me started.

But this COULD be a fun film...sometimes people surprise you. Heck, The Mummy was a nice surprise in its offbeat style.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This has the potential to be an awesome movie. If Sommers goes the direction he did with the Mummy movies it could have a huge suck factor.

What gives me hope is the cast. Hugh could not pull this off with the comedic overtones like Fraser did with the Mummy movies.

Hopefully Sommers goes all out serious with this. I love the cast he's picked.

Peace Out~:D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I agree with Ron on the cast. Richard Roxburgh as Dracula is almost as inspired as Hugh. Sommers just has a nasty tendency for dark humor, which was awesome in Deep Rising, distracting in The Mummy, and downright intolerable for TM Returns.

I really want this film to kick ass.

We'll see :)
Chuck

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yeah - I'll keep an open mind on this one. Jackman has shown some solid stuff in everything I've seen him in.

He should be able to carry this off.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm really looking forward to this movie, being a very big fan of the old Universal Monster classics. I just wish they would use the classic Jack Pierce Frankenstein Monster makeup for the character. Pierce's original design still looks great.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I was looking forward to this until I found out who is directing it.

I hope this could be a cool vampire/whatever flick with Hugh Jackman, and I hope he would not stoop to work in a film like the Mummy.

Now I enjoy the Mummy, but it is total cheese ball theater. It's campy, silly, poor story, and totally cheesy. It's popcorn theater at it's best. Bad story and bad acting and worse CGI. I still will enjoy it, but I hope this story doesn't involve the same elements of his past movies. If so then no thanks.

This story should be a dark and cool thriller with Hugh killing some baddies, not cheesy one liners and over the top slaying of CGI baddies. Look at the Underworld trailer, that looks cool. I hope this turns out looking like that. But with Jackman involved in it, I doubt he would have taken a cheesy role after becoming a big success.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks