Early input on "Bass"......CS+ style

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob alva, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Rob alva

Rob alva Extra

Jan 25, 2002
    What's up everyone. Here is my early outlook on my new dual SVS 20-39CS+ w/s1000 package.
    First of all...."Man these things are huge together in a corner"! I've calibrated my Polk HT speakers to 75db & the CS+'s to 79db with the spl meter & my reciever's test tones. As stated before, they are both up front corner-loaded.
    Second....the test movies. Stargate, Pearl Harbor, Atlantis, Jurrasic Park. The subs handled all the dvd's with great depth and clarity; however, my HT area is wide-open & has 13-18 ft cathedral ceilings. The bass is very good but not as forceful because I could not place them closer to the actual seating position. I will experiment more by moving them out of the corner & behind the couch or something....to get more forceful bass out of em.
    For anyone looking for a "DIFFERENT" dvd, away from the norm (haunting, phantom menace,jurassic park). Do me a favor and just tryout ATLANTIS (disney movie) dvd CH 5 20:45. This is the scene called "Leviathan". Don't laugh, just be easy with that master volume & your lil' SVS subs might not bottom out. If they're still alive after that, try the Pearl Harbor scene where the Japanese attack & the one pilot is pearing through the scope & he drops that bomb. Beware though, it's not "that bomb" but half way down a percussion blast in the background sounds off & really DDDRRROPS!!! These two scenes caused my CS+'s to bottom out everytime "BEFORE REFERENCE LEVEL" on my Onkyo 787 reciever (bottomed out at about 54...reference is 61)!
    If anyone has any sub placement tips or knows of some other great dvd bass scenes, feel free to let me know.
  2. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

Jan 24, 2002
    both the opening scene and the leviathan scene in "atlantis" are my current favorites for nutty bass.

another good one is the beginning of "unbreakable", just before the train crashes - there's no audible bass at all, just some crazy
  3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Sep 4, 1998
    Hi Rob, just a FYI(you probably already realize this).
    Since you have the subs about 6-7dB hot...you are actually pushing them 6-7dB ABOVE reference level nominally...and to approx reference level on Atlantis.
    Cool,yes[​IMG] But please use a little restraint on my babies too.Bottoming the subs out is a clear indication of abusive type levels...once a month isn't going to cause any problems...once a DVD is. 6-7dB OVER reference level is just sick...it's a sick mind that would design such an animal...just sick...