Early 'Fellowship of the Ring' stuff (EAs version)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brecher, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Found this little article scanned up at TheOneRing.net, fuzzy little picture of the level recreation of Balin's tomb which actuallys looks nicely detailed in comparison to the set in the scene during the film (a pic is there for comparison). See it here
    I must admit I am VERY dubious about the game seeing players take control of Aragorn, it's an idea I really don't lust for since it'll mean there being no place for any stuff in the shire and so forth. Controling the Hobbits would have been far more rewarding (more so if the game actually let you take control of all the members of the fellowship at various points during the game), but I guess Universal is doing all that with their X-Box version based on the book.
    I like how the article says levels will closely follow scenes from the film, and I'm hoping they go as far as using cues from Howard Shore's score.... I'm praying EA don't screw up this franchise.
    Dan (UK)

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Xbox magazine had a feature on this game and mentioned that at different points during the game you would control Frodo, Aragorn, or Gandalf, and you would also be able to summon the other members of the Fellowship to help out during certain fights. I'll have to reread the article to refresh my memory, but I seem to recall that some of the levels do take place in the Shire.
    I should probably know better, but man I can't wait for this one! I'm praying it doesn't disappoint like so many movie-based games before. (Shrek, anyone?) [​IMG]

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

These pictures were all in either PSM or EGM, can't remember.

Anyhoo, it would be cool if you could play the game like an adventure/action game, so you could explore the Shire, talk to the Hobbits, and such. During battle, I wish you could choose which character you want to be at the beginning of the battle and each one would have a different style and experience.

Also, they should chop the game up into sections, like how Conker's Bad Fur Day did, so you can select to play a level later, but only that level and not have to start a new game. The company whose doing the games based on the books could even do them by chapter.

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Dave,

There are several Lord of the Rings game being released. The one Dan posted if from EA who has the rights to make games based on the movies. That game is being released for the PS2.

The X-box game is being published by Universal Interactive. They have the rights to release games based on the books. The X-box game will be a totally different game with several playable characters and all will have a much different look than the movie. Hope that clears some things up.

(Also if I remember right Sierra has something to do in all this as well as they are working on LOTR games too (I think an online game is in the works.)

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Sierra *are* Universal Interactive.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Well there you go![​IMG]

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Whoops! My bad. :b

Um, sorry about that...

8. Brion Lydon

Brion Lydon Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere that the EA version was also being put out on Xbox. Anyone else see that or remember reading that?

Brion

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Yeah I think the EA version is actually all formats, so yes on an x-box "movie based" version I guess.

Dan (UK)