What's new

Early Edition- Stalled?! (1 Viewer)

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I watched this show when it was on, but I've never revisited it. I just looked up some things about it and was looking at some photos from the show. Hard to believe how much things change. They need to go into phone booths, waiting around for phone calls...and what's a newspaper? Heh!

Don't forget the following:

People actually talking to each other face to face- what's up with that?! :blink:

Gary using his knowledge of what was going to happen tomorrow for a good purpose. If this show was made today it would be the exact opposite, it would have a dark tone and he would use his knowledge for selfish or nefarious reasons.

Last edited:

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I've never seen this show but my girlfriend was asking me about it so I'll definitely pick this up. Is the show any good? Is it hopefully from the era before every show had to end the episode with a music video?

There are no music videos- what shows featured music videos at the end, I don't recall any?!

Its a light hearted fantasy series, a bit formulaic which might turn some people off. The basic premise is Gary receives tomorrow's paper today via a mysterious cat who shows up on his doorstep every morning with the paper. He looks through it and finds bad things (accidents, disasters) that will happen and sets out to prevent them from happening. The premise of each episode usually revolves around the main headline on the front page which changes once he is able to stop from happening whatever bad thing was going to happen. Each episode (at least the first 2 seasons, not sure if s3 & 4 had them) has Fisher Stevens doing a narrative at the beginning and end of the episode.

Its a great show IMO, different from the usual formulaic stuff the networks always pump out which mostly revolve around the same tired old genres- medical, legal, law enforcement and politics. Happy that its finally going to be available on DVD in its entirety- hopefully VEI comes through and releases it with uncut episodes and no more manufacturing issues. Speaking of which, anyone know why they are having all these problems- Mil Creek is a low budget outfit and I have never encountered any issues with any of their releases that I own. I bought a couple of the Equalizer releases and the season 2 release some of the discs were freezing up. Thankfully I bought it a retail outlet and I was able to exchange it for another copy which was okay.

Last edited:

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Is there a modern drama that doesn't end with a montage set to a song?

That's been a thing, oh, at least since House started in 2004. Maybe earlier.

Interesting, I don't watch much current TV, I have only watched a handful of shows (Lost, Monk, Leverage) from 2000 onward and none of those ended with a music video.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Now, if Shout got a hold of it, that would be cause for celebration.

Maybe not, Shout has had their own issues with TV series

Tales of The Gold Monkey
Airwolf The Movie
Automan
Manimal

All suffer from the dreaded PAL speed up.

Brian Ward from Shout says "it's all because the actors are younger, and you aren't used to the way they sounded years ago"

At least that was his explanation for the botched Gold Monkey release.

:wacko:

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Interesting, I don't watch much current TV, I have only watched a handful of shows (Lost, Monk, Leverage) from 2000 onward and none of those ended with a music video.
You're lucky to have avoided this lazy syndrome by producers. It was a staple on the endless parade of tweeny shows on the WB et al. The pop music montage at the end helped underscore all the excruciating angst suffered by those self-absorbed, over-priviledged, sex-crazed lead characters....not to mention the lucrative cross-promotion opportunity it gave to the studios. "Tonight's episode of Dawson's Crack featured music by....(close-up of the CD release)"

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm probably going to regret it, and you'll hear me bitch for a mile if what I figure VEI will release is what I actually get, but I ordered the damn set.

So consider me your guinea pig.

I'll dig out my copies of seasons 1 and 2 for comparison (and if everything checks out, sell 'em really quick while prices are still overinflated), and does anyone have a rough estimate of what seasons 3 and 4 should be running? 45-46 minutes each? Is there anything I should be looking for in those two seasons, other than the almost sure loss of "Time Has Come Today" by The Chambers Brothers?

Oh, and when does VEI start shipping out preorders?

LCD22

Screenwriter
I'm probably going to regret it, and you'll hear me bitch for a mile if what I figure VEI will release is what I actually get, but I ordered the damn set.

So consider me your guinea pig.

I'll dig out my copies of seasons 1 and 2 for comparison (and if everything checks out, sell 'em really quick while prices are still overinflated), and does anyone have a rough estimate of what seasons 3 and 4 should be running? 45-46 minutes each? Is there anything I should be looking for in those two seasons, other than the almost sure loss of "Time Has Come Today" by The Chambers Brothers?

Oh, and when does VEI start shipping out preorders?

Robert,

You should have 2 PMs from me with a list of music used in all four seasons of Early Edition (although not complete), as well as the third and fourth opening title sequences (including "Time Has Come Today").

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
good, i am very curious to know how badly butchered the season 3 and 4 episodes will be, i do have a complete set of tv recordings (still from their Hallmark channel airings, mixed in with some dvd rips from season 1 and 2 because they had no proper tv recordings (a few episodes only existed with poor quality and foreign subtitles on screen)

so even if this dvd set is horrible, i'd have no issues not buying it :)

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Thanks to Chris for providing the link to the list of music from Early Edition. I noticed that the list was sorted by episode title alphabetically, and figured that it would be more useful for testing the DVDs is they were sorted by episode chronology. Here's what I came up with:

Ep# Title Music
000 Early Edition Theme (101-402) Original theme, by W. G. "Snuffy" Walden
000 Early Edition Theme (403-422) Theme used from episode 403 on is an edited version of "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers
102 The Choice "Money - That's What I Want" by Barrett Strong
108 Gun "Hold on Loosely" by .38 Special
111 Christmas ** "White Christmas" by Rosemary Clooney??
111 Christmas ** unknown: while Gary and Chuck at diner; teddy bear at department store; at McGinty's - Christmas song with a country western flavor; in car with Santa and Chuck
111 Christmas "Jingle Bells" - standard
111 Christmas "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" - standard
111 Christmas "Sleigh Ride" - standard
116 Bat Masterson "Bat Masterson" theme by B. Cordin and H. Wray
116 Bat Masterson "Bonanza" theme
117 The Jury "Y.M.C.A." sung by Chuck
120 Phantom at the Opera "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's Turandot performed by unknown artist
123 Love is Blind ** Instrumental music playing while Marissa fixing dinner at her apartment -- unknown title/performer
123 Love is Blind "Rescue Me" performed by Fontella Bass
207 Redfellas ** violin music at end of episode played by Paulina and Yuri
207 Redfellas "Arrival of the Queen of Sheba" from Handel's oratorio Solomon (during the first interior Embassy scene, right before the fire)
207 Redfellas "Violin Concerto No 1 op 77 (99) in A Minor: IV Burlesque: Allegro con brio" by Dmitri Shostakovich (in Yuri's cab)
210 A Bris is Just A Bris ** Unknown opera music that Tony plays very loudly in the kitchen
210 A Bris is Just A Bris "Habanera" from Bizet's "Carmen" (while Tony is at library with Abby)
210 A Bris is Just A Bris "I Wanna Be Around" performed by Tony Bennett
212 Romancing the Throne ** the Conga tune on the jukebox - unknown title/artist
216 Where or When ** music during flashback scenes
216 Where or When "Where or When" performed by unknown artist
217 Fourth Carpathian "Don't Fence Me In" sung by Bernie and Carpathian brother
217 Fourth Carpathian "The Sabre Dance" (composer: Riimsky-Korsikov?)
217 Fourth Carpathian "Jeopardy" theme
221 Hot Time in the Old Town "Mountain Dew," a traditional Irish folk song, sung by the character of Mrs. O'Leary
221 Hot Time in the Old Town "The Twilight Zone" theme
221 Hot Time in the Old Town "Danny Boy" ("Londonderrry Air") a traditional Irish folk song sung by Marissa
301 Blackout ** unknown opera music at hospital just when the generator runs out of gas
305 Saint Nick ** Opera music -- unknown
305 Saint Nick "We Are Marching" performed by the Children's Choir
305 Saint Nick "Strawberry Fields Forever" sung in a dolphin-like way by Patrick
306 Halloween ** "Kind and Generous" by Natalie Merchant (??) - music at bar while Erica and Marissa talk
306 Halloween "Monster Mash" from Dr. Demento
312 Slippity-Doo-Dah ** unknown music at strip club
312 Slippity-Doo-Dah "Oh Happy Day" sung by the choir
313 The Last Untouchable ** unknown music at end - sounds like "Happy Days Are Here Again" but it's not.
313 The Last Untouchable "I Can't Get Started With You" performed by unknown artist, possibly Bunny Berrigan
315 Funny Valentine "When I Fall in Love" sung by Marissa
315 Funny Valentine "L-O-V-E Love" by Nat King Cole
315 Funny Valentine "You Go To My Head" by Louis Armstrong
315 Funny Valentine "My Girl" sung by Emmett
315 Funny Valentine "Strangers In The Night" sung by Patrick
316 Number One With a Bullet ** Unknown songs by Coolio
316 Number One With a Bullet "New Revelation" by New Direction, as sung by Marissa and the choir. (Thanks, Anonymous!)
318 Fate "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan
319 Crumb Again ** Crumb "sings" a Navy marching chant: "GI Beans and GI Gravy, gee I'm glad I joined the navy."
320 Pinch Hitters ** "The Very Thought of You" by (?) (maybe... music when Walter tells Marissa and Emmet about his wife)
320 Pinch Hitters "It's a Long, Long Way to Tipperary, sung by the character of Walter Stites
320 Pinch Hitters "Stardust" by Glenn Miller (?)
320 Pinch Hitters "String of Pearls" by Glenn Miller (?)
320 Pinch Hitters "Off We Go, Into the Wild Blue Yonder" or "The Army Air Corps" by ??
322 Play It Again, Sammo "Wild Angels" by Martina McBride
322 Play It Again, Sammo "Broken Wing" by Martina McBride
323 Blowing Up Is Hard To Do "Flintstones" theme (reference made to the cartoon)
323 Blowing Up Is Hard To Do "Jetsons" theme (reference made to the cartoon)
403 Take Me Out to the Ball Game "Toreador Song" from Bizet's Carmen
403 Take Me Out to the Ball Game "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" - instrumental
404 The Iceman Taketh ** while dancing ???
405 Camera Shy "Them from 2001: A Space Odyssey" or Richard Strauss' introduction to "Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op 30"
406 Wild Card ** music at the Rave ??
406 Wild Card "Hello, Mary Lou" sung by Gary
409 Weathergirl "If I Were A Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof, sung by the character of Uncle Phil
410 Run, Gary, Run ** Greek music at restaurant ???
414 Performance Anxiety "What a Wonderful World" performed by Louis Armstrong
418 Occasionally Amber "One Fine Day" by The Chiffons
418 Occasionally Amber "My Cherie Amour" by Stevie Wonder sung along to by Chuck
418 Occasionally Amber "Top Hat, White Tie, and Tails" from "Top Hat" sung by Chuck
418 Occasionally Amber "Get Me To The Church On Time" sung by Chuck
418 Occasionally Amber "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer (?)
419 Mel Schwartz, Bounty Hunter "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood
420 Time "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie" performed by A Taste of Honey
421 Everybody Goes to Rick's "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" sung by the character of "Ginger"
421 Everybody Goes to Rick's "Someone To Watch Over Me" sung by unknown woman
421 Everybody Goes to Rick's "Sweet Georgia Brown" piano instrumental
422 Luck of the Irish ** "Charlie Butler's" by Jimmy Moore and Pat Broaders (if not exactly "Charlie Butler's," then something remarkably similar)
422 Luck of the Irish "If Sick Is It Tea You Want" by Jimmy Moore and Pat Broaders
422 Luck of the Irish "Colonel Fraziers" by Jimmy Moore and Pat Broaders
422 Luck of the Irish "The Conoreel" by "Jimmy Moore and Pat Broaders"
Source: http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/ee/pages/music.htm

I can provide that in spreadsheet format to anyone interested (PM me).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ordered early edition on 8/22. Will receive it on 8/29. I pray it's unedited.

I'm not betting on it.

And I say this as someone who ordered it. I know what I'm likely in for, knowing both CBS and VEI.

So, expectations are below low, and if things turn out to be good, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and mine is also due in the 29th, but it's just coming down the coast, so maybe earlier.

ABBALAND

Grip
Real Name
ERIC HANSON
Received Early Edition ONE hour ago eastern standard time. I'm going to watch Boston Blackie With Chester Morris first.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Alright, it's in, and I don't know. 6 episodes per disc, first off. Keep those CBS sets for less compression. The packaging is shit... a wallet you slip the discs into inside a box.

Season 1, most episodes are at 44 minutes or less. Disc 1, episode 6 runs nearly 46 minutes. Disc 2 has a couple over 45, most in the 44 range. The Wall part 2 on Disc 3 runs 42ish minutes. Disc 4, 44 minute range.

Season 2, more of the same. I'll have to dig out my CBS sets for a comparison soon.

Anyway, season 3, disc 1, the range is 44:05 to 45:26. Disc 2 is 3 44s, 2 43s (with Slippity-dee-doo-dah coming in at 43:12), and one 45. Disc 3's range is 43:53 to 45:12, most in the 44s. Disc 4, 3 mid-44s, 2 high 43s.

Season 4... say bye bye to the Chambers Brothers. Time isn't coming today, tomorrow, or at any point on this set. The theme used for S4 is the same used for S1, and I'd assume the rest of the seasons.

Disc 1's first 3 episodes are in the 44s, episode 4 is 42:53, and the last two are in the 43s. Disc 2, range is 43:07 to 44:54, half in the 43s, half in the 44s. Disc 3, 3 mid-43s, one low-43, one in the 42s. Disc 4 mostly 43s, one 44.

Oh, and the Columbia TriStar/King World logos are at the end of a couple of the S4 episodes I checked.

Last edited:

ABBALAND

Grip
Real Name
ERIC HANSON
I'm not betting on it.

And I say this as someone who ordered it. I know what I'm likely in for, knowing both CBS and VEI.

So, expectations are below low, and if things turn out to be good, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and mine is also due in the 29th, but it's just coming down the coast, so maybe earlier.[/QUOTE
I'm not betting on it.

Oh, and mine is also due in the 29th, but it's just coming down the coast, so maybe earlier.
I'm not betting on it.

these were edited. Rats!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I HATE VEI!

Now, now...

VEI has very low standards, it's true. But they're a company that takes what they're given. Garbage in, garbage out.

So blame CBS just as much. They're the ones who are always quick with a syndication edit, hack music out wholesale without even trying to clear it or even finding out if it's public domain and can be used without paying, and generally make a mess of anything that doesn't have the word "Trek" in the title. And even then...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks