What's new

Early Edition on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Anyone know if Sony might release this show on DVD soon? I so love this show :)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I received tomorrow's copy today!;) But that cat scratched it up.:angry:

oh well... I think it would do good for the wholesome crowd if it ever really came. I honestly thought I saw some news for this on tvshowsondvd some time ago but I guess I was wrong as there is no news of any sort now. It was a nice show, at least early on, it lost something when Fisher Stevens left.

While it may not be a substitute and the creators of Early Editin deny that it is based on it, there is a striking resemblance between the series and the classic film It Happened Tomorrow which is avalable on DVD. The concept is too similar and you might like this film starring Dick Powell and Linda Darnell.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy it, absolutely. But no, I'm very sure there's never been anything at TSoD on it. My wife and I are both into the show so I think I'd recall if I posted anything, or if Gord did. A site search there doesn't turn up anything I've forgotten.

It's ranked #37 on the "not-on-DVD-yet" list at our site; very popular! Sony owns it, and we know how capricious they can be about which titles they release. Nothing I've heard from them indicates it's even on their radar screen.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I never even heard of this show until it was in late night reruns a year or so ago. I really enjoyed what I saw of it, and would definitely buy it on DVD.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
A local channel used to show this in syndication. It would be nice to see the old Chicago Sun-Times building in the show, now tht it has been torn down to make way for the new Trump tower in Chicago. This show was a favorite of my wife and I when it aired on CBS.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Thanks David :)

Yeah it's a very popular show. I'm glad my local PAX station airs it, so I can at least get my Early Edition fix ;)

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
LOVED this show.

I also loved the show Kyle Chandler was on prior to this - Homefront. That one was cancelled way too early.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Thanks for the news update.

I want to bring up again "Hot Time in the Old Town", the episode that finds Gary back in time to the 1871 Great Chicago Fire. Two endings were shot for this episode.

The original broadcast ending was a tribute to the '60s "The Twilight Zone", complete with a digitally added Rod Serling narrating the end and accompanying theme. In another thread, someone told me CBS owns "The Twilight Zone" so it is likely this wouldn't be a problem for them.

Also this season, "Mum's The Word" is a sole crossover episode with "Chicago Hope" (which the rights belong to Fox).

With almost a year wait for Early Edition: The Second Season, which I didn't mind at all, I'm crossing my fingers that all "previously on..." recaps, music, the crossover with "Chicago Hope" and the two endings for "Hot Time in the Old Town" will be there - that this mirrors last year’s excellent Season 1 release. (It would be nice if they restore the Columbia TriStar Television credit in the ending credits for each episode.)

I posted this before in another thread, but here's a somewhat complete list of music used on all four seasons.

Early Edition FAQ

I don't praise this studio very often with good reason, but "Early Edition" has a very special place in my heart and I'm happy to say (so far) they've done right by it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Were there "previously on..." recaps with each episode in the first season set of Early Edition? There were "Next on..." promos/teasers which could be played before each or most of the episodes.

TVShowsOnDVD posted the front cover artwork for the Season 2 set on 5th May. The link to the news article is below:

Early Edition: Season Two (Region 1) front cover artwork

It dosen't say anything in the article about there being any episode promos this time, which would be disappointing.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I was also surprised to see a lack of mention of "episodic promos". I really hope they continue to include them.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I had not heard of this show until I saw the season two announcement rumor
on tvshowsondvd.com a couple of months ago. I looked around, and watched
the pilot, which i thought was really great, and ordered season one. Can't wait
for season two!!

-g

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I watched season one when Early Edition was first shown in the UK on ITV. However they dropped the show after a few episodes and the rest were shown I think in a Saturday afternoon slot. Sky bought the rights to the series and they showed seasons 2-4. I can't remember if the ratings were still good in the US when the fourth season was first shown on CBS but I do remember reading that the makers of Early Edition had made enough episodes for syndication (altogether the total number of episodes came just under 100).

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
IT USED TO come on foxfamily now abcfamily. then it came on paxtv for while.i own the first season i plan on getting the second season. it was my number one show when i was in high shcool.i used to watch it and seven days and kungfu ledgen counties.. I THINk someone should make moive long as they keep kyle chanlder and fisther steven in it. i think it would make good moive. i heard it might come on scifi sometime this fall. it was going to come on this march but it got dealyed.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll never forget when this show got cancelled. :frowning: There was absolutely NO Announcement! One evening I turned on my set, only to be greeted by some cheesy Game Show!:angry: IMO This was the beginning of the decline of Commercial Television. In the years that Followed I saw more and more decent TV Shows taken off the air, to be replaced with shoddily-produced "Reality", Game or News Shows!:eek: Six years later I determined TV was going down the tubes, and I began my DVD Collection. My Signature bears testimony to what I've accomplished since then!:laugh:

LCD22

Screenwriter

This is one I can't forget. I can tell you a small group of us tried everything to convince the network to renew it for a fifth season. Everyone who worked on it wanted to go for another year. They even made up a clever mocked-up Chicago Sun-Times front page predicting a renewal. The network did notice us but it wasn't enough.

Not everyone knows this, but they did shoot an episode that serves as both a season finale (their way of getting a foot in the door for another season) and a series finale, but there was a scheduling conflict with "Everybody Goes to Rick's" and "Luck o' the Irish" (which ended up being the last episode CBS broadcast before it immediately went into syndication on Fox Family - which the rights to were brought a little over a year prior). Don't get me wrong, "Luck o' the Irish" was an entertaining episode but it wasn't a "proper series finale". That episode is called "Time".

If you have FamilyNet, "Early Edition" can be seen there. Unfortunately like Fox Family, they censor out the language which makes it jarring to watch. There's really no need to as it isn't gratuitous. The context it is used in is appropriate. It's still a family-friendly series and one that appeals to a multi-generational audience (even baby boomers). It was also a big hit in Germany and they were very upset over CBS's decision.

Heathjack, one of the writers awhile back answered a fan question about an "Early Edition" movie. He said not to ever expect one because most who worked on it, when CBS let go of "Early Edition", no longer work in the industry. For many of them, this was their only job on their resume. He added they were so scattered it would be impossible to bring them all back. "Time" (the intended series finale) hinted at what would become of Gary Hobson.

And Regulus, I've seen many people bring this up before; you're not the only one who has felt the cancellation of "Early Edition" was the turning point to the decline of "commercial television" and with many more decent or high-quality shows being let go. This is a sentiment I completely agree with you.

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
Did you know the guy who played crumb in early edition was in the newest batman the dark night moive? he only seen him twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks