Early Connoisseur disappointment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Z, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I am amazed at the lack of bass of my new Energy C5s.

The specs show a frequency response of 36-23Khz. My old Energy C4s only go down one more notch to 35 Khz, but the difference in bass is ridiculous. The C4s' bass is rich and pleasurable, while the C5s' bass leaves me totally unsatisfied.

Granted, I only bought the C5s on Thursday. Aside from two pairs of Paradigm Titans I bought a couple of years ago, I have never bought new speakers that had to go through a break-in period. I always thought break-in was a myth, but now I am hoping it is true. Otherwise, my C5s purchase was a really bad decision.

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I heard the C-5's at friends house and thought that the bass was actualy "bloated",however they were only a foot or so away from the wall behind 'em.
    I think positioning makes a big difference,but I assume you 're using the same position as with the "old" speakers.
    Break in recomended by most of the manufacturers,and mentioned in the owners manuals as well.
    I've yet to see such recomendation of electronics though,but that's another topic.

3. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

These speakers are not rear ported, so should it matter if they are close to the rear wall or not? Mine are 18-24 inches away from the back wall.

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I haven't heard the C4's or the C5's. However, it is worth mentioning that bass extension numbers given by manufacturers are like wattage ratings given for receivers - notoriously unreliable. I do recommend playing with room placement a bit though, and giving them some time to break in.

5. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

Well I can tell you that I didn't like the sound of the C-5s nearly as much as that of the C-7s. I even find the C-3s to sound better, with less bass of course. I personally wouldn't have bought the C-5s, and if you can exchange them for a pair of C-7, that would be the best solution IMHO.

But that's only my opinion, your mileage may vary, although I do work with and listen to these speakers on a daily basis (I work in a store that carris Energy).

The Energy rep, for what it's worth, even told me he liked the sound of the C-7s better than the C-9s. Which tells a lot about the 6.5" woofers both the C-5 and C-9 utilize.

-Seb

6. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

7. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

I have to admit that have the same concern with my C-9's. This morning I discovered that I had one of the speakers wired out of phase. After correcting this I found that the bass STILL seemed a little subdued. I was'nt able to turn them up to normal listening levels because the wife and kids were sleeping. Tonight I'll try cranking them and see what happens.

It seems impossible that a speaker of this size and price range could not produce better bass. Aside from that I really like the way these sound. I want to believe that breaking them in will yield better results but I don't know how long this break in period should take.

8. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Here's some info direct from Energy:

"The bass response of the C-9 is quite extended. Its the first time I have heard anyone is not happy with the bass response. The usual suspects of problems are the following:

1) The speakers are wired incorrectly, or out of phase
    2) The room is too small for such a large speaker
    3) The receiver has insufficient power and/or current to drive the speakers properly
    4) The break in isn't complete (100 hrs is all you need)
    5) The speaker wire is too thin/ defective/ or poor quality.

Those are the usual problems, let me know what you think might be the cause and I'll try to help further"

9. jad

jad Agent

I auditioned the C3 and the dynaudio A52 at the same time. Both use the same size driver with the energy having a slightly bigger cabinet. I like the energy's openess but it had no grunt compared to the Dynaudio. I figured the bigger speakers would be better but perhaps not. Also there's nothing about the type and construction of driver baskets on Energy's website which makes me doubtful these are diecast aluminum which I believe paradigm uses in most of their lines. What I really didn't like about the Energy's, was an appearance that screams out midfi. Others seem to like the styling with the silver baffle but I find it gimicky. I like conservative classic styling but then again I'm an old forty something and most likely the minority here.

10. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

11. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Howdy Chris,
    35Kz, 35 Khz...I have no idea what those terms mean.[​IMG]
    Anyway, as an experiment I plugged the C5s into my music system (in a different room) and sure enough the bass response was much-improved. The problem comes from my living room. The room acoustics are not too good, so none of my speakers sound very good in there for music.
    In my music system, the C5 bass is almost what I expected, but in the living room, where the C5s will reside, it is just not enough oomph unless I actually use the tone controls and turn the bass way up. I hate doing that, but oh well.
    As for the C4s, the bass is not boomy, it is perrrrrfect.

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

13. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

14. JohnKE

JohnKE Agent

From Soundstage! on the C-9:
    "The C-9s' bass was solid and extended -- way down deep -- while remaining detailed. It really grabbed me."
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c9.htm
    I have the following equipment:
    Energy C-9's
    Rotel RSP 1066
    Rotel RMB 1075 with Ultralink 12 gauge speaker cable.
    I have found my C-9's bass to be really good. Which I don't find surprising...there are six 6.5's staring you in the face....
    As a matter of fact, I have experimented and turned my sub off and set the mains to "large" in the processors menu and I have that I am only lacking in the lowest of the lows....