Early Christmas present to myself.. SVS!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Barker, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Robert Barker

Robert Barker Stunt Coordinator

I have been in the Home Theater hobby for about four years now. Over these four years I have massed a system that I found enjoyable. As of three months ago I had the following equipment…
    Center: Polk CS400i.
    L & R: Polk RT800i
    Rear L & R: Def Tech BP2X
    Sub: Velodyne CT-80
    TV: NEC 27in TV
    DVD: Panasonic DVD/DVIX player (So old I forgot the model)
    Receiver: Onkyo THDX-777
    Three months ago I purchased a new home. The TV, DVD, and Sub no longer cut the Mustard. My first upgrade was the TV. I did the Internet price match at Sears and purchased a Toshiba 50H81, and love it. Second was the DVD. A new progressive scan RP-56 found its way in the rack.
    I still felt the system was lacking the punch it had in my old one bedroom apartment. It was the sub. After reading about SVS on www.hometheaterfourm.com for the past two years I wanted one, but couldn’t afford a new one. Every morning I got to work I would go to www.svsubwoofers.com, click the B-Stock button, and check for any Powered Cylinders. It took me over a month, but I scored a 20-39PC, which arrived yesterday via UPS!!!
    My wife had dinner made when I arrived home from work. I took one look at the SVS box and went straight for it.
    At this point my wife had a concerned look on her face. I unpacked the SVS and stood it up. I then went to the corner of the room and removed the CT-80. What a pathetic excuses for a sub when matched against the Mac Daddy, SVS! I sat the two next to each other and my wife just shook her head and smiled at me. She knew I was giddy with excitement, and was happy that I was happy. She did seem a little concerned about the size, but I told her not to worry. The stories I told about SVS making small animals sick, and breaking china due to the insane bass was false.
    It was now 8:00 PM. I moved the SVS to the corner, made all connections, and set everything as needed. Hook up was straightforward. Popped in AVIA w/ the Rat Shack SPL in hand. Calibrations done! I told my wife I would have the sub set up, calibrated and working in 15 min, which I did.
    Now... ready to rock! In went U-571.
    Have you ever seen the Wal-Mart commercial where the guy in the electronics department is talking about DVDs? I think he says… “ DVD Sound, BOOM!!!” That guy has no clue what “DVD sound” is! The Depth Charges on U-571 had my couch rattling!
    MY GOD, WHAT BASS!
    My wife looked at me again. I had a grin ear to ear and to my surprise, so did she!!! The Bass is just what I had read about, smooth, clean and not boomy at all. I have watched U-571 three times in the past, but this time it was like watching a new movie. I heard things I had never heard before.
    I can’t say enough good things about my experience with SVS. I received world-class customer service, and a world-class product! Thanks SVS.
    Robert Barker
    Austin TX

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Congrats on the new arrival (don't people usually say that when babies, not electroincs, arrive?)! I am so envious. I'm hoping to make my SVS purchase shortly after the new year.

Regards,

Ron

3. Paul Seward

Paul Seward Agent

Robert,

I too recieved my new 20-39pc two days ago and have been VERY pleased!

Although, I do have a question about how you configured your sub. Did you find it hard to get your SVS to 75db on the rat shack SPL meter?I could get it to about 60 db but anything louder than that started to sound like it was straining the sub. I was using my Dennon 3801's internal test tones to do the test and the master recievers volumn was set to 00 and the subs volumn was 3/4th the way up.

But I did find that the sub was overpowering my other speakers at that level (60 on the meter) so I dialed down the volumn on the sub to just over half and kept the recievers SW channel level set to 00.

Could you, or anyone else elaborate a little more about how you configured your new SVS properly.

Oh, and I do have it in a corner behind the corner loaded TV.

Paul

4. Robert Barker

Robert Barker Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

No, I didn't have a problem getting the sub to 75 db. I am actually running the sub a little hot. All speakers are calibrated to 75db, and the sub is at 80db. On my Onkyo 777 this w/ the sub at -11, and the subs volume at 3/4th.

The SPL Meter should be set at slow, and C weighting.

I found the best setting to be...

- "0" bass boost

- Phase at 0, at 180 I lost a few db's.

- Volume set at 3/4th

- On/off switch set to "Auto".

I'm not sure what's going on w/ your sub. I don't have enough time involved to give you a good answer as of yet. Shoot SVS an e-mail, or maybe someone else can give you a good answer.

Robert

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Robert,

Thanks for the story about your experience. We TOLD you your wife would be grinning! Now, be a bit senstive and put in Titanic or somehting she's hot to watch. The bass on that movie is pretty stunning, esp. since few have really heard it right. You WILL be shocked.

Paul,

Something odd is going on with your receiver. If you can find one, get Video Essentials or Avia and use them to calibrate your sub. Generally receiver test tones are a mixed bag, and some have tones FAR lower than is correct. Not heard about the Denons in this regard but who knows. It's not right. "Straining" the sub with a 60dB test tone is very odd indeed. Set your sub to the same level as your mains to start (75dB for VE and 85dB for Avia) and see how that works. Make sure you are rotating the dial on the meter to the right setting. Eventually, if all is as it should be, you might find that cranking up the sub a few dBs over the mains (as Robert has done) gives you the kick action flicks are known for.

Make sure too, your bass boost switch is off (can be useful for low level listening but not most typical enthusiast levels), your crossover bypass is ON, and play too with placement of the sub. A few feet (inches in some cases) can make a tremendous difference in how a sub sounds in a room. I can easily induce a 10dB shift in response in my sub just by shifting it a foot.

As long as you have the sound you are looking for that's all that matters in the end, but holler if you think there is anything still amiss after you play with your setup a bit more.

Ron

6. Paul Seward

Paul Seward Agent

Ron and Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply! I will go out and get the VE ASAP and try it that way.

You know, I have noticed that when I calibrate using the recievers test tones and the SPL meter there is more sound coming from the surrounds then there is from the front 3 when playing DVDs. I find that with all speakers tuned to 75db (with recievers test tones) the front soundstage gets too soft, forcing me to bring down the surrounds about 3db and bring up the center channel about 3db. This might be the problem.

But, I have to tell you... That SVS just KICKS!!!!! The stampede in JP3 was just awesome! And the helicopter in the end was clear and tight. SPR DTS was an experience all to its self. I cannot wait to watch more discs!

Thanks SVS (Ron and Tom) and HTF for turning me on to this Sub!

Paul

7. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Congrats. You're going to love it. [​IMG]
    Jon

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Paul,

if you continue having problems with the calibration be sure to email me at techsupport. Be sure the SPL meter is set right(C weighting,SLow)and has a good 9v in it.

Also try an alternate seating location...you might be in a severe null right now.

TV

9. AaronT

AaronT Extra

s..

10. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

"It looks like a hazardous waste recepticle" - My wife upon seeing the SVS CS-U sitting in the corner of our family room. [​IMG]
    I'm still working on her...

11. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

My newly ordered 20-39cs is on its way. I can't wait!

12. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Regarding the size of the SVS and WAF: my wife initially was taken aback by the size of the 20-39cs. But after a few days, it became a non-issue.
    But it can be a conversation piece when others walk in the room and wonder why the water heater is in the HT room. [​IMG]

13. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

Gary: My 11 year old daughter wanted to decorate the SVS like a Christmas tree [​IMG] Maybe if she can decorate it, she will be "happy". My daughter put a little stuffed snow man on top of the port, and I made it "dance" for her. Kewl [​IMG]
    SVS = Think outside the box.

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Robert: So, that's what that was over there! We thought a house exploded? Congrats and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

15. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Congrats on the newest addition to your family Robert! You must be so proud. Have you handed out cigars to the neighbors yet? [​IMG]
    I can't wait to purchase my SVS (or twins) in the new year!