Early Adopter Lament.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I guess I've come to a impasse of sorts in this hobby.

When DVD's were new and the internet was raining coupons

from the sky, it did'nt make alot of sense to rent a disk

when you could own it for $7.00 or $8.00. But even after

those heydays I was still buying new movies pretty quickly.

Now that I approach 465 disks I'm starting to look at my

collection in a new light. I recently dumped about 40 disks

that I really did not feel I would watch again. Now I'm about to do a second pass. I'm also taking a long hard look at new releases. I pretty much recently decided that a movie like "Last Castle" would be a rental with an option to buy if I could get one used. But I'm even looking at my used purchases with extra scrutiny.

There'll always be movies that I will watch again and again, the bond movies, the trek films, comedies and action flicks. I'm even getting really into TV on disk because I find trek, 1999, UFO , all in the family, MASH, ect infinately watchable and easy to schedule an hour here and there. It's the marginal films I need consider rental only, and I need to find more of those to fit the bill.

I'm wondering how many of us Early Adoptors are looking at out blooming collections and re-evaluating ? I'd like to hear from some.

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Too right - I bought too much stuff back in mid '98 because it was 'new' or 'the coolest disc ever', forgetting that the film's the thing.
    However, I sold or traded on every single disc I didn't want at the start of last year over on a UK DVD Forum (not one deal went wrong), so I was able to recoup something from my impulse purchases.
    My collection, as it stands, I'm ecstatic with.
    I have noticed one thing - it's rare I'll buy a new release of a brand new film. I'm a regular cinema-goer, and enjoy a great deal of what I see, but it's rare I'll buy any of those films as soon as they come out. Maybe it's because a certain critical reputation hasn't been established, so I'm unsure whether it's for me or not.
    This year must be some kind of record - I ordered Almost Famous: Bootleg, In The Mood for Love, George Washington and Mulholland Drive, and definitely plan on The Royal Tenenbaums, Monsters Inc and The Fellowship of the Ring, but the vast majority of my collection are pretty old films that are very carefully selected.
    It's very rare I'll buy a film I've already seen, but I always seem to manage to pick stuff I love (unlike when I first got a player) - which is just as well.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I've either just crossed or am about to cross the 300 mark, which I never thought I'd do... always thought that was quite a lot when people spoke of their collections. There aren't many titles I'm unhappy with having purchased though. I wouldn't give any of them up. I'm a bit more conservative now with regards to buying DVDs. Used to be not a week would go by without SOMETHING worth purchasing. But as we get farther away from 40% + $10 off coupon I find fewer titles each month that I crave. I don't know if it's the price or if I'm fairly well caught up on catalog product.

Boxed sets of TV shows are more than making up for my dry spells though.

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I here ya. The only difference with my situation is that I reached that point before dvd, for me it was cd's. I have about 1500 vinyl, trunkloads of comics and somewhere in the range of 600 cd's. I sometimes look at all that stuff and think what the F was I thinking. Sometimes weeks go by where I won't play a cd, and there a few that I haven't even listened to yet and I purchased them months ago.So when dvd hit I was able to step back and think a bit. First I ask myself if I will watch the movie a minimum of 4 times per year if the answer is yes I wait two more months before the actual purchase even Criterion releases. Secondly I try to wait for SE's So after being in the dvd market for about two years I have only about 30 disks.[​IMG]

5. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

I got into this addiction back in the early days, had to sell my LD player though [​IMG] (hey, I was only 16 at the time)
    I went through this re-evaluation recently and upon looking at my collection was quite annoyed with the amount of 'new' films I had.
    I have a pretty large amount of pre-1960s films on tape (recorded from TV) and I watch them a lot (and I think this makes me hesitant to upgrade to the DVD version). Yet my DVD collection does not reflect this all too well. I keep getting suckered in by pristine 16x9 prints, DTS, buckets of extras etc, when I only watch the film once or twice. So I decided recently to go back catalogue in a big way because I will knock far more value out of those films than most new ones. I now buy about 80% old films on dvd, and intend to do so for some time to come. Although I'm cutting back in general on purchases because the student loan is runninng dry, but thats another thread [​IMG]

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Looking through my collection, I find it hard to believe all the crap that I actually paid for just to be able to buy something each week. Economic situation was very different then, and now the scrutiny of title and features has swung 180 degrees the other way, from buying everything to buying next to nothing. I'm in no rush anymore to buy the latest releases, especially ones that seem under featured, having been burned by a number of mediocre initial releases that are in the parade of reissues these days.

To say I've gotten picky is a vast understatement.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I started my collection in late 99'. It is only up to 130+ DVDs. These last 6 months or so I have cut back on random/blind purchases.
    For example; I was all set to by The Fast and the Furious, Evolution and American Pie II on street date. Glad I saved the $40+ and rented them first.
    Of course, there are a few titles like Moulin Rouge, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare B4 Xmas that I feel I should buy multiple copies of for fear of wearing them out[​IMG]
    I'd say I've cut back from 5-6 a month to 2 or 3 max.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I've got about 30 titles still in shrink-wrap, and I am having trouble watching my 1 or 2 rentals per week. So my new rule is that I will only buy a disk if:

- It is a favorite of mine & I will watch it more than once

- It's a major film/collectible

The days are gone when we would buy a disk just to be a "showoff" title.

9. Jon Robertson

Indeed, Bob, every two weeks another title comes along that seems to set new reference quality standards in video, audio or supplements.

I remember buying The Abyss and being so jazzed that I'd finally get to use the Angle button on one of the special features!

10. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Perhaps being weened on HT with a non-working teenager's meager budget will help me in the future, if my current strategy of not buying anything that I don't absolutely need and buying next to nothing sight unseen carries over to when I start making real money someday.

ps My one-year-old collection hovers around 30 discs, if you count the Godfather movies separately. The last purchase I made was the Fast and the Furious, mostly for its technical merit and a decent film.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

lately I have been buying LDs which people dump like there is some virus attached to the disc.

Generally they are under $5...which I feel it beats the hell out of renting..put away for a rainy day. Its kind of nice to have a ton of movies that are there when you want...no pressure.

There are things that I will pick up on DVD or some new releases like Jay & silient Bob....

But if it something from Tv or an older movie, the DVD will not get me a whole lot more and it will be $30 instead of $3!

....I had a DVD player before a LD but they have grown upon me

12. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

I bought my first discs in '97. Over the years I have:
    • Accumulated over 600 discs
    • Made a real pain in the ass of myself with Warner Bros. [​IMG] Remember the buy 4 get 1 free promotion?
    • Lived through the now legendary coupon mania. Who here remembers the Reel.com coupon scandal here on this forum?
    • Acquired quite a few very collectable discs, Devil's Advocate, Original Criterion Seven Samurai, a few early releases in cd cases, etc.
    • Bought more than my share of marginal movies. Watched them once.
    What the hell it was a great ride and I have no regrets. I used to buy three to five discs a week. Now I will go three to five weeks without buying one!

13. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] LONG LIVE LD!!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Does it still show that I love LD? [​IMG]

14. Jason Smalley

Jason Smalley Stunt Coordinator

My collection is quicky approaching 900 discs. I have been involved with DVD since 1997. I used to purchase 6-9 discs per week. Last July, I decided I needed a projector to enjoy my collection on. I'm currently working on paying that debt off (only $1085 to go!!!). As a result, I don't buy as much as I used to. The lack of massive online bargins have certainly contributed to my current rut. The nice thing about being in from the ground floor has been that I have just about every title that is available that I want. If I were just starting now, there is no way my collection would be as impressive. I have always viewed my collection as a positive becuase many of the people my age (then and now) have spent a lot of money on other "vices" that are much worse than my home theater habit. Even better I usually remember my experience. On the other hand, I could have bought a fairly nice car with the $26,804.41 I have spent on the hobby and replaced my 1984 Ford Tempo. Oh well.[​IMG]

15. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

It is amazing the directions that this hobby will take you. I bought my first disc in Dec. 1997 (Live ed. of Platoon) I didn't hit 100 discs until summer of 2000. Now I've just recently passed 350 and there is no end is sight. Not that I am complaining.

I remember being excited that a new release was coming out with special edition materials on it at all (such as Contact and Apollo 13), I would just pick up random things just to get something in that month. Nowadays, every disc seems to have extra materials on them, and you have to sift through the crap to find something special in them.

What I find to be the biggest problem is that most day and date releases have great visuals, sound, and extras, and it is easy to get sucked in to getting them all. Which leads to many regrets (Swordfish, Perfect Storm among others). What I use as rule of thumb is that new catalog releases are safe, typically the best they are going to get. I have cut back on my day and dates, mostly from the lack of quality films. What I have tended towards recently are comedies, I mean good comedies with staying power, always a safe bet and a sure fire way to pick up your mood.

But like I said, I'm not complaining. I should hit 450 or more by the end of the year, and they are all movies that I will watch again, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually. I guess you have to look at it similar to LDs, there may be some material that might not see the light of day again.

-Chad

16. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm with Grant and John. I love LD if it gets me the title I want. The DVD release lists are merde lately unless you like Wreslemania. In '97 and '98 it was my ambition to have 100 DVD's to justify owning a player. I was hardly confident the format wold last. I have slowed down on buying DVD's because I like classics and they're rare on DVD. I'll take them on LD if that what it takes to get a solid title. These are the dog days of DVD!!! Look at this week's release list, I rest my case.

17. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Yeah Yeah, I am a sick bastard but I did not pipe in here to tell you that I am going cold turkey or anything like that. Sure I have nearly 1500 DVDs and sure I must be out my F"ing mind but what I really wanted to ask is.....
    Dave, you said you have UFO on DVD? Is that series really already out on DVd and why didn't they let me know?
    Please inform if they are out so I can go hunt them down. [​IMG]
    Max

18. Jon Robertson

It's true - the more you have, the more you need.

I have a bit over 50 films I've never even seen on DVD (not to mention the bonus materials), and yet I just ordered Say Anything, Seconds and Mulholland Drive, even though I've only ever watched the latter!

19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    UFO is coming to Region 1 from A&E video this summer. Probably July. The format will be similar to the 1999 releases. Buy them from Deep Discount they always have the best prices on A&E Product the 1999 sets are $22

20. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I have simple formula. Its the 3 rental rule.
    To justify a movie purchase, I have to convince myself that I will watch it more than 3 times. 3 times @ Blockbuster rate is $12. I rarely pay over $20 for a disc. This is down calculated for cheap titles. (