What's new

Early 1970's toy car question (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I am trying to find information on a toy I had as a kid. It was a toy car dragster (Black Widow) that you would stick a plastic toothed cord in and pull out real fast and the car would go real fast on the ground. My cousin had a similiar set of cars that were demolishen derby, and when the cars would hit each other (or the wall) pieces would fly off (which you could put back on and do it again).

I thought they were called SSTs, but I can't find any info on the net.

(Sorry for the bad grammar, but I've had a bad week, and it's only Monday).

DaveNel

Second Unit
You mean demolition derby, Those are all over ebay :) I just looked.. And I had them when I was a kid :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, they were called SSP Racers (I always thought it was SST, so no wonder I could never find them).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
they were about as good as a toy could get.

how did that song go?

"....., crash, bang. smash 'em up. put 'em back again."

or was that a different type of ssp?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
What about the toy that was a gun and it had shells that you loaded the cars into? You then loaded the shells into the gun and you could shoot the cars out of the gun down the hall.

Anyone remember that one?

spaceseeker19

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold Ogle
MarkMel, I have also wondered what these were, as I still have one from when I was a kid. I got it from a garage sale, so never had the cartridge for loading the car - in fact I never knew how it was supposed to work - but I did enjoy it as a prop gun with bolt action. In looking for it today, using the information you provided, I discovered that it was the "Ricochet Racers." Here's a couple of sites with information about them: http://www.toysyouhad.com/Rico.htm and http://www.samstoybox.com/toys/RicochetRacers.html It seems the one I had was called either a "Marksman" or a "Sharpshooter," depending on which country you were in.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
My parents bought the Ricochet Racers kit for my little brother after he had surgery on a certain delicate part of his anatomy (surgery was botched when he was a baby and had to be redone when he was 5). What they didn't realize is you had to lay on the floor like a sniper to use the damn thing. It was like buying a basketball hoop for a kid with a broken leg.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes! Even though I posted in 2005 I still wondered what those were. From the links provided, I think the one I had was called Tracer Racers since I remember it glowing in the dark. Looked on ebay and there are a couple of sets in the $75 - $125 range. Though my boy would like a set, but not at that price - lol I wish my mother didn't chuck all of my old toys - some of them would've been worth some $ especially since I took great care of my toys and usually had the boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks