Eagles HFO

Discussion in 'Music' started by Yung, May 19, 2005.

1. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to multi-channel music and want to pick up the Eagles Hell Freezes Over. There seems to be a few different ones out there. Which of these are the best to get?

h ttp://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=40106896&loc=322&sp=1

h ttp://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=60601994&loc=109&sp=1

h ttp://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=40106903&loc=322&sp=1

2. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

It all depends on what you are looking for (or listening for).

The first and last ones are concert dvds with video. These are played in digital mode (preferably DTS). They also have a choice of playing in PCM which is similar to Dolby Digital.

The middle one is DVD-Audio. This one has still pictures with hires surround sound. For this one you must have a dvd player that is capable of playing DVD-Audio. This must be played in the analog mode in order to get the full effect. If your system is setup for this correctly the sound will be awesome!

3. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

Robert,
    Thanks for your reply. I have an entry level universal dvd player, so I am looking to test out some multi-channel media like SACD and DVD-Audio.

I also posted this question over at AVS and a member there told me the middle one is not really DVD-Audio, it is a DTS-CD.

Do you own or have heard any of the ones I listed? How do they compare to you?

4. Robert Powers

I believe the AVS member was correct. I think the only DVD-Audio that the Eagles have is "Hotel California". It sounds really good. The first one you have listed, the concert video, is one of the best sounding live dvds out there. It is often used as a reference for sound quality.

Some of my favorite DVD-Audios in addition to Hotel California are:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Queen - A Night at the Opera
    Queen - The Game
    The Doors - LA Woman
    REM - In Time: The Best Of
    Carly Simon - No Secrets

Some of my favorite SACDs are:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Elton John - Madman Across the Water
    Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Heart - Alive in Seattle

Make sure you play the DVD-Audio and SACDs in analog format instead of digital. Many of the SACDs are Hybrids and will play in both formats but you will not get the full effect unless it is in analog.

It took me a while to get my system setup correctly but once I did it was a real treat.

Good luck and enjoy!

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The DVD is 5.1 DTS and Dolby STEREO only, so you will definitely want to be listening in DTS. It's very well recorded and is a pretty good example of DTS. Some of the tracks are a bit overdone with the surrounds, but it still sounds good. Check out Seven Bridges Road from the song menu; very cool effect with one voice in each speaker (no video).

The DTS CD should be basically the same track that is on the DVD, but you will need a player that is capable of DTS stream to listen to it (DVD, CD player with digital out, etc...) ie; you can't listen to it in your car or CD clock radio.

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Apparently, there's a more recent release of this that includes a Dolby 5.1 track, so check the label carefully.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I never even noticed there was even a DD version. This was released in the early days of DVDs and DTS, when it was common to see a DTS disc and a separate DD disc (though there was no DD version of this released at the time, IIRC). The DTS versions should be pretty clearly labeled: DTS Ver. Note that the DD version may NOT have the DTS track. *edit looks like the DD version was released April 12 of this year.

Get the DTS version.

8. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I'm going to order the DVD Concert video with the DTS soundtrack.

9. Robert Powers

Yung,

You will not be disappointed. I bought this dvd about five years ago. It was my first ever concert dvd. That first year I probably played it over 100 times.