eagles Hell freezes over dvd

Discussion in 'Music' started by Corey-Reid, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Corey-Reid

Corey-Reid Stunt Coordinator

I just borrowed the Eagles DVD and it does not have a DD 5.1 audio track, yet it does have DTS. This disk was from 94 i think. Any rerason it would not have DD, yet has dts??

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It has a Dolby stereo track and DTS as it was released as a DTS disc. The Dolby stereo track is "required" as a bare minimum for compatibility. It was common at the time to have discs like this, but I don't think many are released that way any longer.

3. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

I think there are two completely different versions (a DTS and a Dolby Digital). The one that I have has the DTS and the PCM options but if I select the PCM option I think it is essentially Dolby Digital.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    No, there is only one version of this disc. The DTS soundtrack is the only 5.1 version available. The disc also has a PCM, uncompressed, track in stereo. All Dolby capable players can playback uncompressed PCM, IIRC. The disc packaging does not have a Dolby symbol anywhere on it.

On a side note, Dolby Digital can be anywhere from 1.0 mono to 5.1 surround, so a Dolby Digital symbol is no guarantee of surround playback.

5. willyh

willyh Agent

I do not have DTS, but the uncompressed PCM is terrific. The DVD standard allows for either PCM or dolby digital. I normally will go for the uncompressed soundtracks when it is available.

6. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

What about the DVD-Music edition of the disc? This is the one that is packaged up like a DVD-Audio (same type of case and generally stocked with the DVD-A's in stores) but doesn't contain any MLP, just DTS 5.1 and I belive the PCM stereo. I'm guessing it's a music-only version of the older DVD? Is it the exact same DTS track?

Cheers,
    Scott.

7. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    It is like many other DTS music discs (sometimes referred to as DTS CDs--to distinguish them from movies and DVD-A). It was originally released in a standard CD package, but lately, DTS has taken to releasing such discs in DVD-A type cases, leading to some confusion among consumers. It is a music only version of the concert. I haven't listened to it, so I don't know if it is the same as the concert video, track-wise and mix-wise. It may be the same 5.1 mix, but at a different bitrate/resolution. I don't know if it has the PCM stereo track. I think that was on the regular CD release.

8. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

IIRC, The Eagles were approached by a rep from DTS to ask them to produce the DVD using DTS as the only 5.1 audio choice. I have the DTS CD, but not the DVD.

9. Mark C.U.K

Mark C.U.K Auditioning

Hi All

Don''t post often ,but just wanted to point out that the disc was also released as a dts-cd in some areas of the world and runs as the concert was recorded. The Music DVD- which incidentally is DTS only- is re cut to allow for it to be shown on tv as it was by VH-1

The quote about DTS is absolutely true, DTS wanted to get more market exposure to those people with expendable income so signed up the eagles, eric clapton and a number of others

Hope this helps
    mark