Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" Concert DVD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mark_H, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

I got one of these off of Half.com, the DVD is a must have for any Eagles fan.

I got a keep case with it but it didn't come with a booklet for the inside.

Was I shorted or not? The seller said it didn't come with one but thats hard to believe.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Mark, I have the DVD-V since it came out. There is no booklet with mine. The inside of the front cover has a chapter listing and a photo above it, both of which are B&W.

3. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Phil:

Thanks for the quick answer, I didn't get the Chapter listing. Mine just has some stuff on the front and back Outside of the Keep case, nothing inside but the DVD.

Could I get you to scan it for me?

Did you enjoy it as much as I did? I have a number of Eagles CD's but could not get over how great this sounded by comparison.

Alot of the time the artists can't do justice to their recording studio efforts in a live setting. I'm sure this one got people with talent doing the recording and mixing but I was in awe of how good these guys vocals are.

I would love to have some other concert DVD after viewing this one. Preferably 70's and 80's rock bands. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.

4. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Mark- Not really a rock band, but you might also want to give Roy Orbison Night in Black and White a try. Incredible sound quality, and the "backup" singers are usually headliners in their own right: Bruce Springsteen, k.d. lang, Elvis Costello, etc. Not bad backup!

James Taylor also has a great concert DVD available, but I can't remember the title right now. If you like Alabama, they have a live DVD of their 40 number one hits concert in Las Vegas. Also, The BeeGees, One Night Only, has excellent audio.

It's been a while since I've listened to these DVDs, so some of the titles may be incorrect. There's a multitude of concert discs available; obviously you're looking for recommendations about the better ones. I'm sure many of the devoted music fans here on HTF will be able to offer you many suggestions. Enjoy!

Steve K.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Mark, I'll scan it and it will be in an Adobe file and be on its way in a few minutes. The Roy Orbison concert is great as noted above.

6. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Methinks we need more Eagles on DVD-V (and DVD-A for that matter). They have toured frequently over the last few years and I for one would jump all over a concert DVD of their last one or two tours. What's the hold-up guys! We know you like the money after charging those sky-high ticket prices!

N

7. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Neil:

I agree, I would be right behind you for another Eagles DVD.

Are there any others you think I might enjoy as much as the Title of this post?

Thanks.

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" is great as is "Toto" live in Amsterdam. Those guy's really know how to play their instuments. "The Dance" by Fleetwood Mac is pretty good too and "Keys To Ascension" by Yes is O.K. if your a fan of their's. The real surprise is Three Dog Nite Live in Tennessee (with said orchestra). Awesome! "Liar!" blows away the studio version. I just un-wrapped "Frampton Live in Detroit" and "The Moody Blues Hall Of Fame". I'll let you know what I think of them in a day or two. Now, back to my satillite problem (see A/V Sources for details). Gene

9. Neil White

Frampton: Live in Detroit is very good. I've had it for a few years now. Really good presentation in sight (16:9)and sound (PCM, DD and DTS). Frampton is a big proponent of surround technology and I believe he personally supervised the 5.1 mixes. I just got DTS capability so I must dig it out and play it in DTS now (thanks for reminding me of the DVD Gene).

N

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Mark, you gotta check out The Last Waltz, which is the farewell concert of The Band directed by Martin Scorcese.

Among the guests:

Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, Joni Mitchell, Ron Wood, Neil Young, and many others.

In my opinion, the greatest concert film ever released.

Jon

11. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    As Neil said, The Frampton Live in Detroit disc is pretty darn good. A bit of a different feel to it then the live cd, but very well done. A solid eight and I'm hard to please. As for the Moody Blues, not quite as good. There musicianship(?) was quite good but most of the time it seemed as though the guitar and drum micraphones were turned down. Could hardly hear them. The last three songs, Legend of a Mind (better known as Timothy Leary), Question? and Ride My See Saw were much better than the first eleven IMO. Over-all maybe a seven. Three to avoid are The Cream Farewell Concert. This is mostly interviews and not much music ( it's only 48 minutes long), and recorded in stereo. Utopia in Columbus. I think Todd Rundgren & Co. are great in person and on record/cd, but it just didn't transfer to DVD very well. Forget the DVD and see them live. Last of the bunch is The Cars Live in 1979. This thing is bloody awful! These guys made terrific albums but they can't play worth a darn. It also looks and sounds like it was recorded by an eight year old. I'm giving it 3 1/2 stars only because I paid $13 for it and I don't want to admit that I made THAT big of a mistake! That's it for now. Hope I didn't upset anyone with my views. Just being honest. Gene

12. Neil White

Darn, I almost forgot. ELO: Zoom Tour Live. It's a recording done at CBS to kick off their Zoom album. A prelude to a US tour that unfortunately was cancelled due to poor ticket sales. The DVD kicks ass (or should I say arse). Again it's 16:9 with DD and DTS audio. I've been a huge ELO fan since I was very young and IMHO, they sound more like ELO in this than they did back in the old days (geez, I sound like a Dr Pepper commercial). Even though most of the original line-up are gone, Jeff Lynne was so much the sound of ELO that they still sound great. Video could be a little crisper but the camera work is very good and you get great long shots of the musicians instead of all this MTV-style quick panning crap. If you have any interest in ELO and you don't have this - get in now! You won't be disappointed.

Avoid at all cost the ELO Out of the Blue Tour DVD. That concert at Wembley Stadium was a live show landmark but the video available is evidently very sad. The only thing anywhere near good on that DVD are the cheesy 80's videos from the Discovery album (for a laugh and to demonstrate how far the music video has progressed since then).

N

13. Steve Penn

Steve Penn Auditioning

Tops on my list are:

Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" from his 1993 tour
    Yes's "Symphonic Live" from their 2003 Full Circle tour
    Eric Clapton's "Unplugged"
    Roger Waters' "In The Flesh" from his 2000 tour of same name

Peter Gabriel's DVD is the most outstanding concert film out there IMHO. The 5.1 dynamics are fantastic.

14. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    [​IMG]
    HFO is a great concert disc for Eagles fans.

Here's another vote for more Eagles on DVD-V. This time I'd like to see it in anamorphic widescreen, sourced from Hi-Def.

While not really "rock," I highly recommend Alison Krauss + Union Station Live on DVD. Excellent vocals, tremendous musicians, great video and sound on DVD.

15. Neil White

Glenn, I'll take that recommendation I think. I've been catching glimpses of Alison Krauss on TV lately, mostly backing other artists. Her voice is so pure. I'm really not a Bluegrass fan but she does appear to be doing some cross-over material.

N

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I would recommend both of the Bruce Springsteen concert discs: "Live in Barcelona" and "Live In New York City". They are both two-disc sets, anamorphic widescreen from HD source video. If you want to try only one, my favorite is the NYC concert. However, the Barcelona concert includes many songs from The Boss's latest album The Rising.

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

Live At the Beacon Theater (same director as HFO).

If you dig Metallica, by all means check out S & M: With the San Francisco Symphony.

-p

18. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

My favorites besides "Hell Freezes Over" (which happens to be my absolute favorite):

Styx: Return to Paradise
    Styx and REO Speedwagon: Arch Allies
    Hall & Oates: Live in Concert
    Elton John: One Night Only
    Bee Gees: One Night Only
    James Taylor: Live at the Beacon
    Jackson Browne: Going Home
    America: In Concert
    An Evening with the Dixie Chicks (I did not care about the Dixie Chicks until I saw this concert)

19. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I had heard that peter gabrials "growing up live" disc was the one to get, not the first one as its pq and sound quality was lacking?

20. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks very much for all the responses!

I have got some great ideas from them.
    Keep them coming!