What's new

Eagle Rock Set to Release SD Content on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Starting with a series of concert videos originally shot in standard definition, including the Bee Gees, Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd, these BRs will be from SD source material, upconverted with lossless audio. They'll be identified on the cover as "SD Blu-ray."

IMO, this is a good development and could start to open the floodgates for more SD content for TV series, etc. that were originally shot in SD. Then we could have lengthy series taking up much less shelf space.

74675_large.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It should be a significant audio upgrade. An slightly better SD picture with loss less, uncompressed audio would be worth the purchase.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've been a real advocate of this in relation to a lot of TV series. Here's why: Even if you don't upconvert or re-work it, many TV series were put out in a pretty heavy compressed format; 4 hours on a single DL DVD. Presenting content in just 480P as it was originally filmed and framed but with ower compression and better audio, both of which are already available would be a cheap way for the studios to offer a slightly improved product at a much better convenience. 480P content woudl allow you to fit about 8-10 episodes PER DISC at a much higher quality then the current DVD releases. I've tried this on my Bluray Burner, and the results aren't bad.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Further to my earlier post, the reviews are much as expected - good sound quality (buy the CD) and a marginal improvement in PQ. Some purchasers not aware this is an 'SD' blu-ray as information not explicit.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
The audio on the Bee Gees' One Night Only is very good, way better than the CD (which is 6 songs short in its standard release anyway). Not too happy about them rejigging the original 4:3 AR to 16:9, noticably cropped top and bottom. Sharpening is evident, not that it "helps" much given the source material. I'd say buy it for the audio upgrade if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread