Eagerly Awaiting Word on American Pie 2 DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Illingworth II, Dec 21, 2001.

1. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Anybody else? When are we gonna find out what's in the 6 minutes!

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Yeah, I've been waiting on the reviews of this one...

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I can guess both Dave's liked American Pie 1. I did very much. I've never seen American Pie 2. In your judgment, is it as good or better than 1?
    6 minutes of uncensored material [​IMG] ?

4. David Illingworth II

Pie #1 was good, mainly because of the glorious Nadia scene, though personally I thought Road Trip was a hell of a lot funnier. Pie #2 is a LOT better than the first one, mainly because there is more Stifler and less sappy stuff. I still think Road Trip has got them both beat.

Incidentally, anyone who's a fan of these types of movies (which I am, so long as they're funny) should check out Not Another Teen Movie-- that was absolutely hilarious (and plenty of nudity too in case yer wonderin').

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Good to hear, David. The power that you wield...based on your analysis (& discussion of nudity :b ), I'll definitely pick up 2.

And now, if I have the time, I just might check out Not Another Teen Movie. I've got a crush on Jaime Pressly...is it her that you're referring to (wrt the comment on plenty of nudity)?

Oh, forgot to ask...given the past release of American Pie 1 Collector's to Ultimate, do you think the same will happen with 2?

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I'd have to say that American Pie 2 is one of those extremely rare cases where the sequel is just as good, if not better than the original. Don't know how they're gonna out-do themselves for AP3. [​IMG]

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree with Kyle. AP2 was just as good - maybe better - than the first one. I just hope the transfer isn't so dark looking this time on DVD as the first movie.

Regarding AP3, I could imagine them making it where the entire group graduates from college and everything happening from there. Considering how well AP2, I would think another movie is likely - although I've heard nothing about it.

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

My guess is that we'll find out about the extra six minutes on January 15th, when it comes out.

Ok, that was dumb, but I have a feeling that an early review won't discuss it.

Glenn

10. David Illingworth II

I sure hope not Glenn! The early reviews on dvdfile for Road Trip and Star Wars all discussed any additions to the movie.

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

There's a review at http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreview...pie2urdvd.html
    The IMDb lists a couple of bits that might comprise the additional few minutes:
    Several scenes featuring Stifler's dad, played by Chris Penn, were cut after initial screenings. One included Finch losing control over his tantric orgasm concentration when Stifler's dad rubs his shoulders. Finch later tells Stifler that his dad gave him the best orgasm he's ever had. In another scene, after Michelle the Band Camp Chick puts the trumpet in Jim's butt, they sneak out and we see in silhouette a camp counselor playing the trumpet. Later, footage of the counselor with a gross fungus growing around his mouth was shown, but dropped during screenings.

12. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I don't know if you will find out anything about the added fotage from the review sites. The copy i got is the "R" rated theatrical version. I'd assume that is the only version Universal sent out for review.

13. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

The review link posted above does mention that inclusion of the additional footage in the Unrated version (in the last paragraph). I talked to the reviewer and he says it's mostly just short extensions to scenes already contained within the movie.

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Regarding the reviewer's thoughts about the video quality of AP2, he said that pixelation was evident and that it had been caused by packing too much material on one disc. If this is true, why wouldn't Universal put the supplements on the opposite side of the disc? Does it really cost that much more time and money to do that? (And is there really anyone out there who would sacrifice higher video quality for pretty disc artwork?)

15. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Since no one else really gave the skinny on the extra footage, I figured I'd chime in. Those who hoped for a lot more skin and smut will be disappointed. Yes, we see a little more action during the lesbian scene; the brunette drops her top and the blonde mildly kisses her chest. We also see the aforementioned shots of the counselor with the instrument and then the sores on his mouth later.

Otherwise, the cuts were clearly made for time, not for rating. Stifler rides Oz because he remains faithful to Heather, Stifler gets into tussles with Finch, Jim's dad goes on a rant at the emergency room... Again, it's all pretty minor,and none of it matches the expectations one has for "unrated" material. Fans will be happy to see it, and I must admit the extra lesbian stuff's hot, but the overall impact is minor.

16. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

Yeah, I got the Unrated edition also and the additions aren't as "spicy" as some may expect, but they are better than the limited additions to the original disc.