What's new

EAD Encore to Ovation for $850 or go with Outlaw 950? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
For $899, it sounds like a steal. I am wanting something with upgraded dac's and processing capabilities without losing much on what I have musically right now with the EAD. Is this a step up from what I have and the most cost effective preamp I can get? Thanks

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I don't have any experience with the Ovation or Encore but the original Theatermaster is clearly in an entirely different league than the Outlaw, especially in terms of dac performace.

The upgrade seems like any easy choice.

-rob

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard the Outlaw, but think you would be best to upgrade to the Ovation if music is your main concern.
The EAD's sound great for music (even the old models) and do fine for 5.1. I had an Encore in my system for a few months and loved listening to 2 channel with it.
The Outlaw definitly has the edge for newer electronics and support for all the formats, but newer doesn't always equate to better.

Keir H

Second Unit
Thanks Brian and Rob for the insight. Thats the thing all the new bells and whistles can get one to salivate and wonder but does it really mean an upgrade in performance in all critical areas. I do enjoy music on my Encore but I guess I thought since the board circuitry of the Outlaw and others just above that price range, is much more modern and refined than what my preamp is. My DAC's are older Cirrus Logic 4226 and 20 bit, while the 950 has 24/192 Cirrus DAC's (dont know the number). Should that bear better sound all around? ANyone have the experience with an Ovation out there? Thanks again! ;)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
More modern, yes!

More refined, heck no!

DAC is just a DAC its performance relies on more than just plugging the chip into a board.

I have a Theta CasaNova (another 'outdated' design) and have heard the Outlaw. I was unimpressed by the Outlaw to say the least. Of course it costs less, but I don't think it would be a piece that I could live long term with, especially after having the CasaNova.

Keir H

Second Unit
Thanks Scott, that's what's so confusing when you read reviews out there on gear, some guys replace Lexicon's for the 950 and some mention that it's not in the same league as say a Sunfire TG II..it's confusing. THe upgrade bug will keep on biting too until you try it out for yourself I guess.

I just read on more info about DAC's, you guys are right in that, just because one unit has older processors and DAC's doesn't mean that it's 'obsolete' or sounds worse than something with newer DAC's and processors. The 950 does sound tempting however.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I found the Angstrom 100 (dd only circa 1998) to be vastly superior to many of the "newer processors." In terms of two channel and dd.

Quality is what is important. And quality is exactly what you get with the EAD stuff.

-rob

Keir H

Second Unit
Rob isn't the original Theatermaster the same as the new Signature w/o dts? If so, I don't think my Encore is in the same league either. I hear it's a stellar preamp for music and movie, best of the best type of thing. To get to that level, man, it gets awfully expensive! :frowning: even for existing EAD owners..

Kevin T

Screenwriter
keir

i'm sure you know this already but the ovation does utilize have the newer formats (dd-ex, dts-es) and it also doesn't have an analog bypass / 6 channel input for high resolution audio. i'm not sure your degree of interest in high resolution audio but this is just a consideration. if you want all of the above in the ead, the ovation-8 is the cheapest way to go (and at $1650...it ain't that cheap either). if you do decide to upgrade to the ovation, please post your impressions as i'm still sitting on the fence in regard to giving up the ead in favor of the mccormack map-1.

kevin t

Keir H

Second Unit
Brian or anyone, does the Outlaw give up anything to Encore in the 2 ch realm. That is the only deciding factor I have left before I purchase one. I have pretty good stereo sound with the EAD but am afraid of the possibility of'downgrading' to an Outlaw 950. Can someone tell me what to expect as far as musicality with this possible move I might make here very soon? If its a lateral move, it's a risk I can take but I'd like to get a final opinion.. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks