EAC Question and recommend a sound card.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Justin Ward, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I have recently began to use EAC to rip all my cds without quality loss after compressing with Monkey's audio. When it is done ripping it lists the quality of the tracks I ripped. It usually gives a number between 98.5% and 100% despite not reporting any errors. Am I getting perfect copies?

I am also looking for a sound card recommendation. I want something with a high quality headphone output to drive my Grado SR-80s. I also want something that can pass a digital signal(PCM, DD and DTS) to my main 5.1 system for music, movies and games. I probably won't be using PC speakers at all unless I can get my 2 year old ATP3s fixed.

2. Justin Ward

I should also add that I'd like to have an actual physical volume knob. Is the volume knob they built on The Screen Savers of a high quality?

3. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Can't recommend a sound card, but you are getting perfect copies with EAC. The 'Quality' rating just indicates how many sectors it had to re-read. 98.5% means 1.5% had to be read more than once before it got an identical match. As long as it doesn't report any errors you're fine...

4. Justin Ward

5. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

Justin...I don't understand what you mean when you say you rip your CDs after compressing them with Monkey's Audio.
    Can you fill me in?

6. Justin Ward

Oops, that kind of came out in the wrong order. What I meant to say is that I ripped with EAC and then compressed the wavs using Monkey's Audio.

7. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

Justin.....Since you're using EAC to rip anyway, why not have it do the compression while you're at it?

8. Justin Ward

I didn't realize EAC would do the compression for me. Thanks for saving me some major time!

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Sound card recommendation: M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or the Audigy II. I prefer the M-Audio as it doesn't include all the bloatware Creative makes you install to use all the features of the card. With M-audio it's one simple self-installing executable driver.

I use a pair of Sennhesier HD-280 Pro's with my Revo and it sounds great. I plan to get an external headphone amp soon though, not particularly from the quality of the sound card but to use with my Discman.

10. Justin Ward

I was already looking at the Audigy 2. I will have to check out the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 as well.