EA Online Games: PS2-Yes Xbox-No

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Eldridge, May 16, 2002.

1. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Just the boost MS was looking for as they unveil Xbox Live next week, I'm sure. [​IMG]
    Curses!

3. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

This news bothers me not one bit.

As far as I am concerned, 90% of the games that sport the EA logo suck ass. They can keep thier product, as they have been replaced by Visual Concepts as being the sports title leader.

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Not to mention Xbox will have NFL Fever versus the horrendous NFL Gameday.

5. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Yet another reason to hate EA...is it just me or are they really starting to feel like the "Walmart" of videogame companies?

Dean

6. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I don't particularly like EA's titles either. But I have to admit, Madden football is a videogame institution. I may not like it as much as Fever, but for most people, Madden = videogame football. And being able to play it online on Sony and not on the Xbox is a definite plus for Sony. Not like they need another advantage with a 2 billion* unit headstart, but there you go.
    *Note: numbers slightly exaggerated for effect. [​IMG]

8. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Has Sega made any announcement on their plans for online play?

9. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Here you are, Sega's online plans:
    X-box will have Sega Sports.
    PS. I dont like Sports games personally so this doesn't matter to me either way but since you guys were asking I figured I'd post it. What I do find interesting and curious is the Phantasy Star Online game listed for the Box. Apparently its not a port of the GC game. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm *rubs chin and wonders what Sega is up to*

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I don't care for the Madden series, anyway. I'll be very happy with online NFL Fever and/or NFL2k3.

12. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Sega has mentioned the Phantasy Star Online for the Xbox before and previously they said it will be a port with extra features...wonder if they are changing their minds?

BTW - IMHO EA blows....everything that they put out that is good is not made by one of their internal studios, like MOH:AA was made by 2015, Battlefield: 1942 is being made by DICE...Visual Concepts and Sega Sports make the best sports games out there.

13. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

I dunno - I thought both Madden 2002 and SSX Tricky were nicely done on the Xbox.

As for online play, the question for me is what exactly is the Sony model? Is it that companies will take care of the online aspect themselves for each game? Are there fees attached to playing online PS2 games as is expected to be the case with Xbox Live?

14. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

It should be noted that while the online model hasn't been announced for the Xbox, it's not dead in the water. What confuses me here is that the Sony online model requires consumers to buy a network adaptor, whereas the X-Box model has built in connectivity. The odds of everyone that buys their selected EA Sports game ALSO buying a network adaptor are SLIM.

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

16. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Let's not forget that X-box live requires a broadband connection -- thus eliminating the vast majority of customers that either don't have access to or won't pay for broadband service. I'm beginning to wonder if X-box live will be D.O.A.

17. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

The odds of me paying for online service are ZERO. Can't Sega serve as an example of what happens when you have a pay for play model? I already pay for DSL, Im not paying to play on MS servers.

18. Romier S

Romier S Producer

19. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I think it's funny you guys are bashing EA instead of the real culprit here: Microsoft's Online Strategy.

Microsoft may have had the luxery of having others conform to their models in the PC software business, but EA is making it clear that they don't have this control in the videogame business.

Remember the reason why so many publishers preferred developing for the original Playstation instead of the Nintendo 64? Because Sony developed their software structure around game developers and publishers to increase their profits and decrease licensing limitations. Publishing for the Nintendo 64 didn't seem as appealing as Sony's hands-off approach.

And the same holds true for today, only now we're dealing with a new monster: online gaming. Online gaming isn't new, but the only areas where it has been successful on a large scale is when the game developers had complete control of the environment. Because Microsoft is taking away some of this control, we'll not only see delays (like this situation with EA), but we'll also see developers flock to open models furnished by Sony and Nintendo.

On an unrelated tangent: while broadband-only might be the case 5 years from now, at least Sony and Nintendo catered to the majority audience of today by still releasing 56k adapters. I know for some games, like FPS and Action games, 56k will suck. But for RTS, RPGs, Puzzle games, etc, 56k is just fine; I don't see why Microsoft felt a need to force the broadband-only issue when they could've nurtured it instead.

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer