What's new

EA NCAA Football 2006 (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
So what are supposed to be the improvements over 2005? I don't go to game websites and wouldn't know who's reviews are better than others; are there reviews available?

The one thing that would get me to buy is being able to play a dynasty with multiple players over XbLive.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I hope they fix the short passing game. That's about my only complaint. Well that, and passing defense in general. I don't need a damn DB from Akron performing ballet moves to swat down passes.

As far as reviews, I heard somewhere that XBN gave it a 9+ and EGM gave it a 9+, but I've had a hard time hunting down those reviews.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
They fixed it.

I have bought the XBox versions for 4 years now (and other consoles' iterations) and I can say this is the first version I thought was MORE than just a minor upgrade.

Graphics: Biggest improvement in the series so far. Not revolutionary, but the animation is smoother, textures are better, overall presentation is much better.

Sound: actually sounds like they got more than 3 horns and drum in to do the fight songs. More sounds from players (like grunts, etc.) that really add to it.

Now on to the BIG stuff:

Gameplay, Overall

Plays much faster than last year's XBox version, I'd say 25%-33% faster. It took me by surprise and it took a while to get used to it, but I like it as it is more like the speed of the real game (season UCLA ticketholder speaking here ;) ).

Passing
Hallelujah, they fixed short passing. Now you aren't penalized for controlling the guy and trying to manually catch the ball (which in short routes last year was an auto incomplete, whether you controlled the WR or not).

You can also scramble with the QB without taking down the passing cursors.

NOTE: the controls have changed slightly but you can MANUALLY change them back to NCAA 2005 controls via the menu.

Running
Improved jukes and control, and more importantly better blocking by your teammates. Unfortunately, the better blocking leads to gaping holes vs. weaker teams, although better teams can limit you.

Defense
Tightened up defender AI, and the hit stick is now controlled via the right thumbstick.

Impact Player/In the zone
Each team has a gamebreaker or two (or five I'm sure, in USC's case) on each side of the ball and they have a white glow underneath them. When it pulsates they are primed to do something special. You can defeat this option if you find it gimmicky, but I can tell you in NCAA more than the NFL, a "star" can get hot and really break a game open.

Recruiting
Not sure how this works, but you now recruit DURING the season. I've only played one game in my dynasty and have tabbed 12 recruits, but none have come to see my game and I don't see where it is that I can invite them to one...maybe that's for later in the season. The local (CA) recruits have "[PIPELINE]" next to their names so I assume that means they are more likely to sign with my school. I can't find what aspect of my program to pitch, just the points per week that I can allot. Still learning how to do this part.

Overall
I'm happy with this upgrade. There have been 1 or 2 in the past where I thought "what the heck, this wasn't worth another $50" but I can definitely say that this game is an upgrade over the 2005 version.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh, some other glitches they've fixed aside from short passing:

Linemen get out better on their blocks, tosses can occasionally work now.

Screens can work if called at the right time, had Bama go 60 yds on me when I was in the wrong D.

Still can't figure out how to make draws work.

Apparently option style is much better tweaked but I can't stand option style FB so I never run it.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
To me, the game felt a little slower in areas. Overall there were some new features that were cool, here's my breakdown (XBox Version):

UPS
- The create your own Heisman canidate is fun. I like the dorm room -- check out the "picture" on the computer. I can't help but think my girlfriend will get hotter as I get better. :)
- Play blocking seems more acurate. I'm seeing the holes a little clearer than before (which can be a bad thing too, I don't want it getting too easy).
- Overall feel of the game is in line with past versions. Add the Heisman feature and a few game tweaks, I was fine with it.

DOWNS
- The dorm room feature feels slow. It's like the game cheaped out on areas. I really liked the Sports Illustrated each week, but getting fan mail is a neat addition.
- Practice. Am I missing something. I'm a running back in Heisman and everytime I practice it's the same 15 yard touchdown drill. Why don't I have a range of different drills to pick from?
- Controls. Yuck, they changed the controls that have been standard for years. Yes, you can change it to the "2005 Version", but it's not accurate. The fake pass button is still different, and I miss being able to bring down the passing icon and run as a QB. Yes, you can scramble, but not to the same extent as before, which for me was a key to my game and recruiting QBs. That said, I still kept in on the default. I figure if they're changing it this year, it will be that way next year, so I might as well get used to it.
- Graphics. Yuck. It just hurts to play this game on an HD ready 42" Sony LCD, and have the graphics blow. Put in MVP 2006 and it looks friggin' awesome. Then you put in any version to date of NCAA and it looks like a PS1 game. (OK, I'm exagerating a bit.) Just really underwhelming graphics compared to what's out there. For my $50 I would think they would have upgraded it by now.

I know it sounds like I'm hammering on the game, but I still love it. I just want more ! Maybe XBox 360 and PS3 will have a version to make my heart stop.

Doug

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Actually I think the scrambling ability just by pressing A is the same (effect-wise) as before, you just no longer need to take down the passing cursors anymore, which actually makes it easier to scramble.

While graphics do lag behind other games, I was comparing the improvement to past versions of NCAA FB, and it is better. I game on a 47" ISF'd Panny RPTV, and while NCAA is clearly not Halo2, I don't think I'd use the word "blows" to describe it.

When you say the game plays slower, are you talking about aspects of it outside of the actual gameplay (i.e. snap the ball, run the play)? I didn't play the Heisman Race thingie so perhaps that is slow (and it doesn't surprise me to hear that EA cheaped out on it, the first time they do anything they don't do it well--like the first time they put recruiting in the game).

As far as the actual gameplay is concerned, I find 2006 plays significantly faster than 2005.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I was really looking for the ability to play a dynasty via Live so some friends and I could have ongoing seasons. The gamebreaking players, Heisman stuff, and slight gameplay upgrades don't really make it worth the upgrade for me.

I like the running game and use it much more successfully than passing in '05. I don't have any trouble with toss plays and used to use the option all the time in earlier seasons before I had a passing QB (I play Missouri). I put up 200+ yds rushing every game, have won the Heisman with my RB 2 years in a row with a 3rd on the way, but a good game for me is completing 1/3 of my passes. I still can't get the hang of it and I'm in my 5th dynasty season. I think my QB is something like 37% for the year. :b

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Carlo --

Yes, in regards to slowness, I was referring to non-game situations. I agree, actual game play is great.

Doug

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to bump it up to Heisman to see if it makes a huge difference.

In years past I always played at All American because I felt that Heisman basically cheated and read your plays. Maybe they've fixed that, but AA has become all too easy and the running ridiculously so (just had 2 150+ yard rushers).

Hopefully they've managed the seemingly impossible (as in no one has done it satisfactorily before): create a top level AI that plays you hard without resorting to cheating/reading your plays.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
One thing I will give this years version. Either I've started to suck on defense... um, that's not it, or the opposing offenses are way better this year. I just had Nevada post up 500 yards on me. I still one, but geez! I'm getting blown up on the pass attack, and I'm used to having the best run defense in the universe, and teams are running on me.

Every year I play the first season on Varsity to limber up, then the rest of the time I'm on AA. I agree, Heisman cheats. So my above comment about getting blown up on defense, is on varsity. Ouch. I'm still undefeated, but I don't like to work that hard.

Go Cougs!
Doug

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
How are the Cougs in this year's version? Are they pretty hindered, or decent as they should be?

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Do they use actual players like the pro games? Also are all Div 1 schools represented? Specifically C-USA?

Thanks,

Mike

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
All D1 are represented.

NO college videogames use "real" players (i.e. names) because it is against the NCAA rules/policy.

However they are generally accurate and if you bother to type in the names of the players, the game tends to recognize good players and, of course, common names.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Carlo, I figured NCAA rules would restrict player names. My cousin is playing at UCF so I just thought I would check.

Mike

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Shelby --

The Cougs are pretty average, until I play as them ;). Swogger starts, Bumpus is really good and fast. Derting doesn't penetrate the way he did on last years version, but he's still an upper 90's player. Defense is a lot harder on this years version.

Doug

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

To play or play against?

I'm playing on Varsity right now (will have to move up to AA to up difficulty), and I'm torching teams with Kentucky for over 70 points and 500 yards of offense. Love the Urban Meyer spread offense.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
To play defense. My opponents averaged -49 yards a game, yes, that's negative 49 yards a game last year. This years version they're running in the mid 50-100 yards a game. My corners are getting lit up, and my average sacks are down.

Either the defense is harder, or their offense is better. Yes, I still beat Grambling St 99-0, but other games have been much closer.

Doug

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
For passing, I play a lot of Cover 2 and Cover 2 Man. The rest of the time I blitz like crazy with the LB and sometime the nickel back. When I'm not blitzing with the LB, I strafe with the LB so I don't overpursue on run plays.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Anyone play on Live? It's really annoying and tough to find a "real" game. By real I mean players that aren't exploiting NCAA 06's deep ball ease, scrambling QB issues, and HB Direct Snap. Every game I've played has been along those lines. Hail Mary, fast QB running back and forth behind the line, hit the receiver coming back to the ball. Almost impossible to defend consistently. I played a straight up game (ie: I tried to play "realistically") and lost 34-32 in overtime. He must have been like 6 out of 28 passing for 300 yards, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks