EA has poll about online gaming.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jason Harbaugh, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

EA Sports is doing a poll on their site about which online service you use, PS2's, Live, both or none. Out of 4300 votes so far, Live holds 79% of the vote while PS2 holds 7%.

Think this may finally change EA's mind into supporting the successful service known as Xbox Live?

2. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Its for EA Australia

[​IMG]

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Doh I didn't even notice that. Eh, maybe some US execs will notice still. :S

4. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Regardless of the poll, I wish EA would make some of its more esoteric sports titles -- i.e. Cricket -- available in the States. I wouldn't expect EA to try and sell them at brick-and-mortars, but it would be nice to be able to buy them as special orders online or such.

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

I don't think it'll make a difference. Wasn't the reason why EA not doing Live is that they wanted a bit of the profit Microsoft made from charging people to use live?

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I think this poll just shows how clueless EA is regarding all things online. What is the point of taking a poll to discover the number of PS2 and Xbox online users when there are already cold hard facts regarding the number of XBL subscribers and PS2 network adapters sold? Online polls are so inaccurate that I'd really be forced to laugh at EA if it is actually relying on the poll information to make business decisions.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Why do they want a piece of the Xbox Live pie so bad? They don't get a dime from online PS2 users.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's not so much about money, Scott, as getting access to customer information. They want your demographics.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Can I ask why? Usually companies gather demographics to know when and where to plaster ads. You think they asked MS "give us the demographics of our customers or no LIVE support" and they said no way?

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I agree that this poll (or one that applies worldwide) is going to offer little compelling information. XBL is such a runaway hit that none of this should come as a surprise to EA. If they aren't going to support Xbox Live then fine. There are already more titles than I know what to do with available right now, and I'm not even a sports gamer! Add XSN to that list and it's pretty overwhelming with more on the way.

That's not to say that some of their titles would not be welcome additions to XBL but I think that as a community Xbox owners have (or should) move on.

11. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

At first I was miffed at EA for no Live support. Now I don't even care, which for them is even more troubling, since I know I'm not alone. EA may be a development leader, but they are far from being a crucial contributor to the Live community. EA and Sony can continue to partner, and my PS2 can continue to gather dust for all I care. [​IMG]

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

To be honest, you can NEVER EVER EVER trust poll numbers like this. They're not getting a truly random sampling of the population (of Australia or the world), so you can't assume that these numbers are accurate as a representation of the country.

Many years ago, a woman published a book that said she polled a random sampling of women and found 90%+ were unhappy in their marriages, when in fact she only received responses from an extremely small number of women she sent polls to and they mostly said they were unhappy (most of the happy women didn't respond). This is an example of how voluntary polls don't work.

The best way to do this would to have mandatory videogame registration or to log who uses the services.