EA buys piece of Digital Illusions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayV, Feb 18, 2003.

1. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

I heard on G4TV that EA purchased a minority interest in Digital Illusions.

Does anyone know if DI is planning/developing a new racer for the Xbox? If so, is there any word on DI's Xbox Live position?

I know it's a minority position, but sometimes a small interest brings other agreements.

I'm asking because I really enjoyed Rallisport, but after my MotoGP experience I have little interest in an off-line racer.

-j

2. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Well, Midtown Madness 3 is being developed by DI, but as far as future projects go, there was talk last year of an online version of RSC, but nothing definite.

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Midtown Madness 3 & Rallisport Challenge 2 are still on the way with Live functionality. I'm not quite sure what the details of this are as I think that D.I.C.E. are actually a part of Microsoft Game Studios. I think that EA will just handle the publishing & it shouldn't have any effect on the development of games...but maybe someone else can tell you more.

BTW I disagree totally with you guys...offline is by far the most important component of a game to me. (of course, I can't actually subscribe to Live because I don't have broadband available here) [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Oh, thanks for the correction Brian. For some reason I thought they were part of MS...the whole publisher/developer thing is kind of blurry in gaming to me. (I know what the difference is but sometimes it seems like the publisher gets all the credit for a game...if you know what I'm trying to say)

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Interesting, thanks for the info.

-j