What's new

EA and no XBL Support (Petition online) (1 Viewer)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I do like Hitman(A LOT), but the Xbox version has no 480p which annoys me to no end.

Realistically, Eidos isn't exactly on a hot streak right now. Of the "good" games mentioned, Tomb Raider and Kain have been run so far into the ground that they're almost worthless. Sure, the first Blood Omen way back on the PS1 was awesome and Soul Reaver 1 was decent, but BO2 and SR2 weren't even worth the time to play through IMO. TS2 is kinda good though and it really could have benefited from XBL.

Interestingly enough, a few minutes ago, I looked in an OXM and the developers said they were "considering" XBL downloads and support for Deus Ex 2, so maybe the final say is up to ion storm(they also confirmed 480p).

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I hate the companies that release 90% garbage games and then a good game every once in a while. It looks like it's becoming a trend though. Even the best companies are churning out their fair share of crap now, and there are only a few companies that I've been completely impressed with as a whole.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Eidos "dropping" XBL support isn't going to impact those two projects.
Very true Brian, but my mentioning DX2 and Thief III was not to illustrate how Eidos publishing those titles would impact XBL.
My point in mentioning both was to further support the notion that Eidos does in fact do more than just publish Chicken Run;). I should have quoted that section of your post to be more clear of my intentions.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
My point in mentioning both was to further support the notion that Eidos does in fact do more than just publish Chicken Run. I should have quoted that section of your post to be more clear of my intentions.
Ion Storm was the first thing I mentioned. :emoji_thumbsup:

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Ion Storm was the first thing I mentioned
Speaking of Ion, do any of you guys know what happened to Romero and his boys?
Like most everyone else that's into gaming more than the average bear, I've read the history/story of his rise to fame with Carmack, leaving to start Ion in Dallas (?), hyping up that turd Daikatana for years, then releasing the piece-o-crap that it was, and then....what?
Is he hiding out somewhere with "Killcreek"? Now SHE looked good! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Romero started a company called Monkeystone that specializes in games for PDAs and cell phones.
Regarding Eidos, chances are they'll be bought out by the end of the year so this isn't a huge deal. ;)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I used to be really pissed that EA is not suppoting Live, but I couldn't care less now. Really the only EA games I play are C&C Generals and BF1942. Generals would suck on Xbox without a keyboard/mouse and 1942 would suck without dedicated servers on Live. I like Madden games on consoles, but there are already 2 football games for Live anyway so another one is not needed.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
The only way that EA would wake up and smell the coffee is if they release madden 2004 on the xbox with no online and not a single copy was sold. Then and only then they might get the point, but I wouldn't count on it. If this did occur, what EA would probably do is stop publishing for the xbox.

I'm sorry to say it, people, but I don't think you can win this one.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
EA should just drop Xbox support. I for one would not miss out on anything. Sega sports titles are better in my eyes. The rest of EA's lineup could stay on the PS2 (which I don't own).

See ya EA!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
EA should just drop Xbox support.
Apparently the Dreamcast didn't teach any lessons concerning EA support or what the lack of such support can do to hinder the overall success of a console.;)
Hate them all you like but EA's continuing support of the Xbox (as well as the Gamecube for that matter) is crucial to the continuing success of both consoles. You don't just wish away the biggest third party in the world when you are fighting to gain userbase (and in MS's case credibility as a console manufacturer) against a seemingly insurmountable opponent like Sony. Who's success can be attributed to the unending list of third parties willing to support the console.
Little to no third party support is a problem in and of itself. No support from the biggest third party is even worse.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Apparently the Dreamcast didn't teach any lessons concerning EA support or what the lack of such support can do to hinder the overall success of a console.
Great point, Romier. Although I believe/hope that the Xbox's future is secure, part of that belief is based based on healthy publisher support.

I can't say I'm particularly in love with EA (especially after contributing to the demise of my beloved Dreamcast), but I sure wouldn't want them to leave Xbox.

I hope that buying the occasional, exceptional EA title shows EA that a real market exists on the Xbox and encourages them to publish more quality titles on the Xbox. I would think that a "boycott" could easily serve to accelerate their departure.

-j

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I hope that buying the occasional, exceptional EA title shows EA that a real market exists on the Xbox and encourages them to publish more quality titles on the Xbox. I would think that a "boycott" could easily serve to accelerate their departure.
Exactly Jay.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
EA's continuing support of the Xbox ... is crucial to the continuing success of both consoles
While this is true to some extent, I believe that Microsoft's pockets are deep enough to keep them in the ballgame long enough to overcome the lack of EA titles. Most of their titles are sports games that are inferior to the Sega sports titles. I have an Xbox and a Gamecube, and only own one EA game, LOTR Two Towers (solely because I'm such a big fanboy). If I couldn't get it on the Xbox, I'd buy it on the Cube. If I couldn't get it all all, no sleep would be lost. I could always just re-buy a PS2 if I was desperate enough.

As long as EA puts out crappy ports, I'd rather they not put their games on the Xbox at all. It's just my uniformed opinion, but the Xbox would continue to grow and gain some market share regardless. Every Xbox owner I know gripes about EA titles not coming close to taking advantage of the Xbox hardware to the point that we DO NOT BUY EA games. That to me, is the same as not having the games available at all.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Every Xbox owner I know gripes about EA titles ... to the point that we DO NOT BUY EA games. That to me, is the same as not having the games available at all.
Like you, I prefer Sega's sports titles to EA's. But didn't Madden outsell NFL2k3? Who is buying Madden? Not you or I.

I would suggest that there is a group of Xbox owners out there who are the majority. You and I aren't in that group. A few of my friends aren't, either. None of yours are.

But that majority group wants to buy Madden. And they want to buy other EA titles that you or I woudn't touch. The funny thing is that they probably wouldn't even recognize EA as a publisher. But they would certainly notice its absence on the Xbox.

And to expand the scope of my reply a little: Sega's sports titles get better every year. I hope EA stays around, if, for no other reason, than to provide incentive to improve.

I understand that you believe Xbox could live without EA. But I wonder how well and how long?

-j

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
You make good points, Jay. I am and always have been in the minority in many ways that branch out far beyond video gaming. :)
On a related note, I have a $15 coupon code for EA games.com that was sent to me for my birthday. First person to email me can have the code. It's only good for 10 more days as I have been sitting on it for the last 3 weeks or so.

JayV

Supporting Actor
You make good points, Jay.
There, see how much better everything is when everyone agrees with me? ;)
And to be fair, I do go through my "F" EA phases. It's just that when cooler heads prevail, I want them around on the Xbox.
-j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks