E9000ES/N9000ES for $1400 or DA4ES for $650?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mycatuity, Nov 20, 2002.

1. mycatuity

mycatuity Auditioning

which one should I pick? is the 9000ES combo outdated?
    thanks

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

The 9000es series are built better than the receivers but I am not a big fan of the amp (N9000es). Do you want/need a 6.1 or 7.1 setup? The E9000es is 5.1 but that suits many peoples needs including mine. I would rather have a used amp like the Harmon Kardon PA5800 amp (can be had for $300 to $500) than the N9000es. This setup would kill most any ES receiver (with maybe the exception of the 777es and 5es). You should be able to snag a used E9000es for around $900 then find a good used amp in the $500 range. Also, if music is important i'd recommend the P9000es analog preamp. This would also set you up for SACD or DVD-Audio but more importantly, it will give you analog bypass for any music format. Now, if all you need is to run a digital connection from a cd or DVD player for music, the E9000es will do that great. You MUST get version 2.01 for the E9000es at least. Post more info for better feedback---like what speakers you have, is music and SACD/DVD-A important, etc.

3. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm facing a similar question. I've been using my HTPC as a preamp, but now I need the cabability to switch between sources. My current sources & connections include:
    HTPC (digital; 5.1 analog)
    SACD/DVD (5.1 analog; digital)
    VCR (analog stereo)
    DirecTiVo (digital)

I already have a Sony TA-P9000ES for the analog inputs, so now my question is what to get for a processor and separate power amp. I'd prefer to keep everything separate if possible.

I'm driving ACI Sapphire IIIs and Aria 5s (SpeakerCity kits), all of which are revealing but easy to drive speakers. My room is small - 9x17.

Thanks . . .

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have the TAE with 2 TANs and would recommend them over the recent receivers
    The virtual 6.1 mode is great (and no new speakers!)

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I also have an E9000ES, Although it's now sitting on my kitchen table. I have the Outlaw 950 in my system now. The Sony is a great pre/pro, but it doesn't have:

a) 5.1 analog passthrough for DVD-A/SACD (although $400 would get you the P9000ES)
    b) DPL II, DD EX, DTS-ES
    c) And obviously no DSP modes to expand 2.0 through 5.1 sources to a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setup.

You have to decide if any of that is important to you or not. Just make sure you have at least rev 2.01 software if you do get one. There's also some tech bulletins from Sony about resistors and stuff on the inside that in early units can be a problem.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Considering how little I paid for the Sherwood Newcastle AV-9080 / AM-9080 combination (a comparable pair) earlier this year I don't personally think that's a very good deal.