What's new

E3 Blowout: it's gonna be fantastic!!! (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Compared Gran Turismo 3 to Gran Turismo 4, or Metal Gear Solid 2 to Metal Gear Solid 3, or SSX to SSX3, and you'll see the difference in the quality of the games. The PS2 was a pain to program for, so when the developers got more used to it, the games started to look better. Not quite on par with the XBox, but still an impressive leap in visual quality.

After seeing the in-game footage and real-time demos, I'm much more impressed with the PS3 than I have been with anything on the XBox 360. Microsoft is trying to push the features of XBox Live more than the power of the console, whereas Sony is pushing the power of the PS3 more than anything else. And both sides are accurately playing to their strengths.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I can't say which system I prefer yet. (Honestly I'll probably end up with both.)

It's going to come down to the exclusive games each system has. I personally prefer Xbox for FPS and racing games for the controller due to the feel of the triggers. And of course Ninja Gaiden was awesome.

Sony has Metal Gear and if Killzone 2 turns out anything like the video PS3 will be a must buy.

I'm waiting to see a library of games in playable form before I can judge which system is better. (But it sure is fun to speculate.)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
My question is this....how many gamers are going to get the XBox 360 simply because it's the first to market and it's going to be the hot thing come Christmas time. The XBox has had great momentum the last 18 months and is a more viable contender this time around with a much better online infrastructure.

Three years ago, I got an XBox over a Playstation 2 because I wanted the extra processing power the XBox could give me over the PS2. I have a very extensive hometheater and 5.1 sound and 16x9 features appealed to me, in addition to the forthcoming Live. I am also the kind of gamer who is very busy with work, grad school, etc. So I don't have the time to game as much as I would like and knew that financially and for other reasons, I was going to be limited to one system purchase and I found the XBox more intriguing. I knew the game library would be smaller than that of the PS2, but at the same time, I knew the gaming selection would be sufficient for my needs (and has been and more so!) with the XBox. I don't need 8 baseball games, I only need one good one.

Sony's system this time around sounds better on paper when it comes to specs, but most of the great gaming moments I've had have come on XBox Live and I don't think I want to give that up. When you factor in the backwards compatability, I think a majority of current XBox owners will eventually pick up a 360. How many of the "on the fence" people will jump on the 360 because it's the first to market (like I'm sure many did with the PS2 back in the day)? With third party software support much stronger for MS now than it was 3 years ago, a lot of the questions surrounding MS's viability in this market have been answered and in many ways, the XBox exceeded a lot of expectations. Add in the fact that MS is starting a joint venture with Toshiba to push Toshiba's HDTV's with the debut of this system and you could see a lot of 360/HDTV consolidated purchases this holiday season.

I think this is going to be very interesting to see how it shakes out. I'll probably get both systems, because financially I'm in a place to do so now, despite my lack of gaming time. But I feel there could be a few who jump on Microsoft's bandwagon this time around who were reluctant 4 years ago. This COULD affect Sony's market share, but I do think the gaming INDUSTRY as a whole will see solid growth due to what these two machines can and will do.

I am very much looking forward to both systems and I hope they both flourish as it's better for the industry that way, especially with Nintendo's shrinking market share.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I will be picking up a 360 at launch, provided that it costs $350.00 or less (along with Gears of War, Perfect Dark, and Gotham 3). I plan to pick up a PS3 is for its Blu Ray capabilities and for its advanced technical capabilities in a few years. I will say that I do not like the PS3 controller at all. I play a lot of FPS's and the Xbox controller fits like a glove. For some reason, I have a hard time playing a PS2 game which requires manipulating both thumbsticks simultaneously. Although the angle of the PS3 controller buttons seem to be angled out a bit, they are, for the most part, in the same place.

Also, does anyone else think the PS3 looks like a Bose Lifestyle system?

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

I read an article somewhere online that compared it to a Bose system also. It does look alot like it. ugly but im stillgetting one. The specs sound incredible, lets see if it delivers.
I also cant see the Xbox cutting corners and shorting themselves in this new system. I dont think, and I hope, that the Xbox does not underpower itself, compared to what we are hearing about the PS3.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I don't much like the damn Spiderman font they're using on the case.

"HEY, IT'S FROM SONY! WE OWN SPIDERMAN!! WOO!"

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
the killzone video was fully pre-rendered..Sony fools the crowd once again.

Gotta wait till some games are actually released before we can judge how it looks. They do have the massive Blu Ray disc space to use so we'll just have to wait.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

My interpretation of the last statement is that this is something they're striving for; whether or not it will be delivered in the shipped product, only time will tell.

Neither Jan-Bart nor Ben came out and stated, for the record, that it was fully pre-rendered or rendered in real-time. Will the final product look identical to what was shown in the E3 trailer? I would like to believe that it's possible, but if the scheduled release date is around the PS3's launch, then the likelihood is reduced, IMO. If it's late 2006 or sometime in 2007, I think it's achievable.

According to G4TV, when the question was posed to Sony, the official word was: everything was rendered in real-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks