What's new

E3 Blowout: it's gonna be fantastic!!! (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Anyone else really feeling the vibes for E3 this year? Heck, the Pre-E3 stuff is looking great so far, and it can only get better from here.

Some pre-E3 highlights:

Burnout 4: Revenge
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/611/611708p1.html

The Matrix: The Path of Neo (fight 1,500 Agent Smiths...all at the same time. Unbelievable.)
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/611/611415p1.html

Burnout Legends (PSP)
http://psp.ign.com/articles/611/611406p1.html

Blitz: The League (freaking awesome)
http://sports.ign.com/articles/610/610844p1.html

Perfect Dark Zero
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/611/611602p1.html

Man, what a E3 this will be!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, you've got news of at least two major console releases to start with, plus some of the final wave of games for this generation, so the only thing I can see that'll be bad about this year's E3 is that there'll be some quality stuff that will be overshadowed. Still, it's a good time to be a gamer!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Dave,
I was going to post The Matrix: Path of Neo link, but you beat me to it. As always, I'm more impressed when I see footage, but the interview and the blurbs have me quite excited. And the footage will hit next week, along with tons of other great games.

I do enjoy the week of E3,
Chuck

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Most looking forward to:

Xbox360 launch
PS3 Launch
More Halo goodies
More Halflife shtuff
More PSP games

Nintendo? Meh.

I also cant wait to hear www.whereisphantom.com 's impressions =)

Plus there are always the games you never heard of that stretch your brain the most.

Sam

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The new Nintendo console is supposed to have some special features that they won't even announce until E3 for fear that people will steal their ideas. I'm excited to see what they have, but I hope it's something good. Rumor has it they also have a free online gaming service (as in you don't even need an ISP to play) that will be live when the console launches.

I'm curious as to whether the PS3 will have anything special. The last two PlayStations didn't have anything uber-special in the box (no modem, no hard drive, just the main unit) so I'm curious if they're going to try to add something or announce any special plans.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I can't believe I ever lamented the day that Rare left Nintendo. Has Rare produced *anything* for the current generation, besides the Conker redux? It's a sad day when you can put Rare and lame in the same sentence. But at least we now have a bunch of the talented ex-Rare employees at the stellar Eurocom (Must have more Sphinx!!)

I'm jazzed about the New Zelda and anxious to hear exactly how revolutionary the new Revolution will be. I'm also waiting to hear more about Geist, EA's fall lineup, the fate/date of Starcraft Ghost (Blizzard, another slow ass studio) and hoping that there is both a killer platformer and FPS coming for the holiday season.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Rare made Grabbed by the Ghoulies and a few GBA games since moving to Microsoft. A lot of their old staff (mainly people who worked on GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, I believe) started Free Radical Design, who makes TimeSplitters.

I think Starcraft Ghost was rumored to have been moved to the X-Box 360, but is supposed to come out this year to the current-gen consoles. Blizzard isn't developing it, Swingin' Ape is.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

I kind of doubt it. I think that they'll support HD out of the box (actually, I'd expect that from everyone this round), but otherwise, I'm guessing that it'll be very similar to the way that the ps2 was sold. Still, I'm very curious to see how well the respective brand names play off each other this time. Since I'm pretty sure the ps3 and x360 will have similar specs and capabilities, it'll be all about branding and exclusives this time around.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
After what I saw last night on MTV I have no interest in Perfect Dark Zero anymore. It looked like they are using all of 3 colors on the game.

I was very unimpressed.

Actually the only X360 game that was shown that looked good was Ghost Recon. The rest all looked pre-rendered.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I was under the impression that Mario 128 was going to be a launch title for Revolution? But wasn't there talk of some kind of other Mario platforming title for GC?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Mario 128 is still in development for the GameCube, officially. It could be moved to the Revolution (which Nintendo just announced today is coming in 2006 http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?...139&page=other ), but we'll find out soon hopefully.

Well, if what has been leaked is true, the PS3 will be a good leap ahead of the XBox 360, a lot like the XBox was over the PS2. Either way, I think the games and unique content will decide the winner this time.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Mario 128 is still up in the air. According to Reggie, it will be officially announced and demoed at E3, as well as the final decision for whatever console it shows up on. Selfishly I'd like to see it for Cube, but realistically it would be far better as a Revolution launch title. Cube has Zelda for this year, and they're not gonna sell that many more system at this point anyway. Zelda is gonna sell all the Cubes that are sellable, and Mario isn't gonna be able to improve on that. Hell, Mario Sunshine wasn't even the best selling Mario title for Cube, MK Double Dash was. From a business perspective, better to use 128 as a system seller to get Revolution a kick out the door.

Anyone care to lay odds on the release date for Zelda? I'm thinking day and date with X-box 360.

I am kinda disappointed to see the next gen systems hitting so soon in a way. I'd like to give the new hardware another year or two to season. The current consoles really are only just now hitting their stride in terms of harnessing their power. Games like Resident Evil 4, Gran Turismo 4, God of War, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and others are only now really pushing the current gen of consoles to their limits, and I'd like to see what devs can do now that they're learning that. Instead we're gonna see that curve reset. Sure the enhanced power will allow for ever better looking games, but even still, it's the little tricks that really make the difference. Metroid Prime and Jak's constantly streaming worlds with essentially no load times. RE4's incredible number of polygons (the cut scene version of Leon alone was over 10k polygons, ignoring everything else on screen) with amazingly fluid animation. It seems like we're resetting things just when they were getting interesting.

It'll still be fun to see what everyone has up their sleeves though. Won't be boring, that's for sure.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think Microsoft is purposefully trying to cut the XBox life a bit short, but Nintendo is giving the GameCube nearly 5 years (Revolution is coming next year) and has said before they want to keep it alive until 2007. Rumor has it the Revolution will have Metroid, Zelda, and Mario within a short amount of time after launch, too.

Whenever Sony decides to release the PS3 (this year or next) will be basically in line with their history. The PSOne had 5 years, the PS2 is going into it's fifth year, so the PS3 coming this year wouldn't be a bad idea.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
It would make sense for Nintendo to produce Mario 128 for the Revolution. I would think that Nintendo has learned its lesson when it comes to releasing a console but not releasing any great titles with it.

Mario would fill that void.

Personally I can't wait to get the new Zelda game for the Cube... looks great.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Remember, the Nintendo Revolution is backwards compatible with the GameCube. It's quite feasible that GameCube support will continue through 2007, even if the Reggielution comes out in 2006. The new console will still be able to play what ever worthwhile software Nintendo releases for the 'Cube.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
If anything, I think that you'll see Mario 128 out for the cube, but possibly with some sort of forward compatable enhanced content for the revolution (sort of like the GBA stuff in the GBC Zelda games). This would make current gamecube owners happy, let them get the game out for Christmas 2005, and and give them something to show off on the new console right away.

I agree that this generation is getting cut a little short though-I'd like to have seen another year with what we have. The big one for me is wanting an HDTV to get the most out of Xbox 360, and that's probably going to be at least a year away at this point.

It's definitely possible, but unless there's something in internat R&D that Microsoft doesn't have acess to, I really can't see MS getting trumped like that. Still, we'll see what the actual specs are. Remember all the hype about the power of the "emotion engine" in the ps2? Needless to say I'm looking at whatever Sony releases with a heavy dose of skepticism.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I just downloaded the Killzone PS3 trailer....

WOW. I am officially ready for the next gen.

If the gameplay actually matches the trailer we will all experience gaming nirvana.

Here's to hoping Bungie watches this trailer and makes Halo 3 equal or better.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

That will be cool. I was looking forward to this game.

It surprises me that so many conclusions are being reached re: game and graphics quality on the X360 given the pitifully short clips shown on the MTV launch. It was a teaser, nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks