What's new

E3 2018. Schedule, predictions, announcements, discussion (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Let's get this party started.
3F0E2Go.png

PlayStation‏Verified account @PlayStation
Our E3 2018 Showcase begins June 11 at 6pm Pacific. Here's what to expect: https://play.st/2rB2Hga

Bethesda‏Verified account @bethesda Apr 20
June 10th is less than 2 months away… and you can join us for all the fun. If you’re going to be at #E3 or just in Los Angeles, register for #BE3. https://be3showcase.bethsoft.com/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Predictions from me:
EA will heavily feature Anthem.
Bethesda: No Elder Scrolls 6 this year but 1, maybe 2 new massive open world games will premiere, and will ship within 9 months
Sony: Keynote will be weird as hell
Xbox: Halo, duh
Nintendo: The online stuff will still suck
PC: Heavy on HDR support

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My predictions:

Sony - they already said they wanted to focus on just a few games, so I'm guessing it will be more streamlined that last year (which was basically an hour of trailers straight through). They'll announce DLC for God of War, something for Destiny 2 that's exclusive or timed-exclusive, talk about Days Gone (since it was first announced 2 years ago), have a 10ish minute section for indies, announce some release dates (Kingdom Hearts III, maybe Final Fantasy 7 Remake demo), and then we'll hear about a brand new game in either an old franchise being brought back (I remember hearing someone was doing MediEvil) or a brand new IP that is from a 1st or 2nd party developer. Oh, and Last of Us II info. People will get overly hyped for things that aren't going to be in our hands for way too long.

Microsoft - they'll talk a lot about how robust and healthy the Xbox brand is by touting stats regarding Xbox Live, how many matches people played, how many years of time people played backward compatible games, and how much everyone just loves Xbox One X. Then they'll re-announce a lot of games that people have been expecting for years, announce a new Gears of War, maybe a new Halo (if they're smart), and then push some demos or trailers for a handful of "looks best on Xbox One X" third party games (I could absolutely see them doing this with the new Tomb Raider, Anthem, or a new Assassin's Creed). Oh, and they'll take whatever the most popular $20 PC indie hit is right now and announce that it's exclusively coming to Xbox One in the fall. People will be impressed that the games look good but nobody will be all that excited.

Nintendo - they already said that they're going to focus on just one or two games during their E3 Direct, which I believe is Smash Bros. If not Smash, or if they talk about two games, the other one would be Pokemon. They'll show off a bunch of new characters (but not all of them; they'll slowly announce more during E3, along with their amiibos, and say that more will be announced in the next few months). Release date is likely October for Smash, November for Pokemon. In their Treehouse Live Event (after the Direct) they'll announce some details about Metroid Prime 4 (release next year some time), some new Labo kits, more info about Yoshi, (hopefully) some Mario Odyssey DLC, info about No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again, announce Wonderful 102, another Zelda (in the 3DS Link to Another World style, possibly on 3DS and Switch), and talk more about their online plans. I would not be surprised if they announce one or two compilations of classic games, like a Mario All-Star or Zelda compilation of everything pre-Wii or pre-GameCube. People will get very excited, but even more so once they announce at least one of these new games is out RIGHT NOW on the eShop. It probably won't be Mother 3 (Earthbound 2) which supposedly has been ready for US release for a couple years.

(The Nintendo online plans so far are pretty decent ($20 for a whole year, you get 20 NES games with new features included, and cloud saves) but nothing amazing. I expect they'll announce a bunch of retro game releases that are not going into Virtual Console (they said VC is not happening) but maybe instead just a category on the eShop called "Classic Games" or something.)

PC - the PC show will be awkward and they'll announce some hardware that is cool but not surprising along with the PC versions of whatever games are also going to be hot on consoles in the fall.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Now the rumors are really starting to churn out.

Retro Studios is making a Star Fox racing game. It will be like a Star Fox version of Diddy Kong Racing (boss battles and such) with racing speed like F-Zero. This is out of left field and bizarre and disappointing to fans, so it's probably true and will end up being really good. (Since the last announcement like this, Mario + Rabbids, was excellent.)

Also, to amend my previous post about my predictions. Sony will spend a good chunk of trailer time (possibly with gameplay) on Death Stranding and announce a release date of either this fall or next spring.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Things I'm hoping for with E3:

- Cyberpunk 2077 reveal.
- More info and a possible gameplay-trailer for The Last of Us, Part II.
- Cyberpunk 2077 reveal.
- Starfield reveal by Bethesda.
- Cyberpunk 2077 reveal.
- Doom 2 reveal.
- Cyberpunk 2077 reveal.
- Some more information on that rumored Halo Collection for PC.
- Cyberpunk 2077 reveal.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I hope there are some good surprises. Not much has been announced in 2018 so far that has really appealed to me other than a couple of classic compilations like SNK's 40th Anniversary Collection for the Switch.

I suspect Nintendo is my best hope this month. And I'm hoping there's even another big 3DS surprise like a Link's Awakening remake that I've seen a couple of rumors about here and there, in-between all the inevitable Switch news that Nintendo will have. Otherwise, I expect the usual announcements out of Microsoft and Sony.

I do hope we'll get some pleasant news on the Xbox One backwards compatibility front at E3, but I suspect we won't see another round of original Xbox releases until this fall, considering we just got round 2 a couple of months back.

And I wouldn't mind hearing about Codemasters reawakening the TOCA/Grid franchise after the turnaround they've given to the Dirt/Colin McRae franchise, but I suspect ONRUSH and the inevitable F1 2018 will be it for this year from Codemasters.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
With Kojima's Death Stranding, it's so weird. Like, yeah those trailers are offbeat and crazy, but it'd be a damn shame if the actual gameplay is a conventional third-person action game.

I’m not sure if I even care if the gameplay is good. If it’s a 3-hour cutscene of invisible ghosts attacking (and ultra-aging) scientists who are stuck in the mud (also with fetuses in their bellies), then I will absolutely pay full price for that. And I haven’t yet mentioned Guillermo and Mads being in this.

Gameplay-wise...I suppose I expect experimentation that may or may not work. That’s what we got with Metal Gear Solid, and it was always interesting, if occasionally frustrating, to play.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From Software's announcement is all I care about. This is what it's come to, one game developer that I really care about. Everything else is a tough sell for me these days.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I like to think I follow gaming news pretty closely, but even I am unaware of some of these rumors. Halo Collection on PC? Link to the Past remake?

There was an "leak" of a promotional material order form for Nintendo's booth last week that revealed a handful of 3rd party games, with the big one being Fortnite. I have no interest in PUBG, Fornite, Overwatch, etc. but it's a big deal for Nintendo to finally have the biggest game right now come to their platform. The Star Fox Grand Prix rumor had a lot of support behind it but I'm not sure if any of the bigger leakers have said its probably true.

The latest stuff also says Microsoft's show is only going to have a handful of games (Halo, Forza, Gears of War, and maybe something like Sunset Overdrive) with the rest being third party games that "look great on Xbox One X" or indie titles that they bought the exclusive rights to (similar to PUBG). They're also saying that we could see up to 3 Gears of War games, with one being a sequel, one being an RTS (think Halo Wars) spinoff, and another being a multiplayer battle-royale game (like PUBG or Fortnite). Honestly....it's pretty shallow and disappointing of a lineup, especially since none of the rumors seem to be talking about Crackdown 3.

It's actually kind of annoying to me that EVERYONE is doing the battle-royale thing this year.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I thought the same with your post like the bit about Nintendo focusing on two games during their Nintendo Direct presentation. I thought to myself that it was odd that I follow the news on this front pretty regularly, but hadn't seen that one.

As for Zelda, I actually said Link's Awakening, not A Link to the Past. I've seen several rumors about it in recent months, but I don't really know anything about the subject like where it the rumor may originate from or the validity of it. Some mainstream sites have picked it up and ran with it this year though.

I just know that I wouldn't mind another Zelda adventure on my 3DS. Especially if it recycled the A Link Between Worlds engine and was an overhead Zelda. That remains my favorite 3DS experience to date and I'd be all up for experiencing a follow-up.

So I hope it pans out.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just know that I wouldn't mind another Zelda adventure on my 3DS. Especially if it recycled the A Link Between Worlds engine and was an overhead Zelda. That remains my favorite 3DS experience to date and I'd be all up for experiencing a follow-up.

One of the very few great gaming experiences I have had as well in the past number of years.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, okay. I think I heard the Link's Awakening Remake rumor a while ago, but I wasn't sure if that was necessarily a Link Between Worlds-style sequel (LBW was a sequel to LTTP) or a 3D remake. I'm a bit skeptical that they would just remake it since they haven't done that before but...who knows with Nintendo.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Nintendo did at least one excellent remake back on the GBA with Metroid Zero Mission, but it has been a rare concept for them compared to ports, remasters, etc.

This is just speculation, but if there's some truthfulness to this rumor, I would bet that it would probably turn out to be another A Link Between Worlds situation rather than a true remake (That started out as a rumored 3D remake of A Link to the Past, but it ended up an original Zelda adventure set in the same world as that SNES classic).

It had a similar overworld and familiar locations, but the story was brand new, the dungeons were new, etc. So if this is actually happening, I suspect it will also be an original Zelda release that just happens to draw a lot of inspiration from Link's Awakening, rather than be a true remake.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Now that you mention it, it seems like the only series Nintendo has done modern remakes for is Metroid, both with Zero Mission on GBA and Metroid 2 last summer. But...that's literally it from what I can tell.

Except...maybe the NES Mario games were remade for Super Mario All-Stars on SNES?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I forgot all about the Metroid 2 remake. I still need to pick that one up and play it.

I personally consider Super Mario All-Stars as one of gaming's first remasters.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I hope Nintendo announces Mario Maker 2. More level components to create, and the ability to change colors for every character, and item in game. who doesn't want green goombas, and an ice blue Mario?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks